2 Hawkfish pairs in a 40B

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are are the chances a pair of flame hawks and a pair of longnose hawks could coexist in a 40B

@eatbreakfast

I would think there would be a great deal of aggression going on. Me, personally wouldn't try it.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My instincts tell me no. It's going to be a true predator tank, meaning they will be fed live food. So that in itself means more aggression. I'm planning the pair of flames and just don't want it to be too boring. I've only kept a singular flame once before and he didn't really claim too much real estate. But I was thinking one pair is really likely it, for a 40B. Just trying to get someone to co-sign my ** you know.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero chance.
[emoji53]

Just 1 of each in my 75 gallon tank is so far working out.

Both are still small. It may turn into WW3 in a few years.

Had to rehome a large longnose before it made it into the tank.
Aggressive as heck while it was still in the acclimation box.
Wasn't taking a chance hurting the flame hawk.

Immature fish are often pretty flexible about tankmates.
Mature fish not so much.

Since hawk fish shift from female to male over time and you need one of each for a pair you would be stuck from the very beginning.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish are my favorite little nasty fish. I've learned over time what I like, and I like predator fish. They were always too small for my other tanks, so this one I'm going to house a pair, the tank will be all theirs. I see pairs on dd all the time, but I'll get my fav lfs to either get me a pair or 2 itty bitty ones. I know eventually one will turn male.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go for a single pair as well. I've kept one of each in a similar volume longterm and they were fine together but a pair is so much more rewarding. These are one of the few fish that actually seem to form proper pairs and seem unseperable.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it in a 40g, but have had a pr of each in a 120g together without issue.

It could be risky, but doable IF all 4 were added simultaneously AND they were all immature.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it in a 40g, but have had a pr of each in a 120g together without issue.

It could be risky, but doable IF all 4 were added simultaneously AND they were all immature.

When you say immature, do you mean all 4 being females.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t try it for the aforementioned reasons.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just all 4 small. Some can change gender pretty quickly, but smaller individuals seem to be more 'fluid' with it.

Good thoughts everyone, I think what I will do is get 4 itty bitty ones and let them mature together. I'll pull a pair if unusual aggression occurs, I already have a friend "willing" to take a pair off my hands, before I even have them. It will be interesting g to see the progression of the social dynamics, I know in the end it will likely be too small for both pairs. But everyone loves the fish I raise.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with only 1 pair of whichever you prefer. I have a 55g and a bonded pair of flame hawks. There is enough room for them to be comfortable and have there own space. I couldn't imagine a smaller tank with another pair of hawkfish which are not compatible in the first place in such a small area.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thoughts everyone, I think what I will do is get 4 itty bitty ones and let them mature together. I'll pull a pair if unusual aggression occurs, I already have a friend "willing" to take a pair off my hands, before I even have them. It will be interesting g to see the progression of the social dynamics, I know in the end it will likely be too small for both pairs. But everyone loves the fish I raise.
For new fish keepers reading this years down the road using search I would highly recommend *not* doing this!

But you clearly have experience with giving fish good homes after they have outgrown your tank and a number of reefing friends who would be happy to take them.

Please keep us updated on their interactions! I have to admit I am curious.
I would expect it to go badly within the 1st month. A 40 gallon tank is just too small.
If you plan on a tank that they are easy to remove from, and like you said, a friend who will happily take a pair off your hands, then it's s just a matter of how long it lasts.

Which pair would you be more inclined to keep?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For new fish keepers reading this years down the road using search I would highly recommend *not* doing this!

But you clearly have experience with giving fish good homes after they have outgrown your tank and a number of reefing friends who would be happy to take them.

Please keep us updated on their interactions! I have to admit I am curious.
I would expect it to go badly within the 1st month. A 40 gallon tank is just too small.
If you plan on a tank that they are easy to remove from, and like you said, a friend who will happily take a pair off your hands, then it's s just a matter of how long it lasts.

Which pair would you be more inclined to keep?

I was thinking of getting a year but after researching with my sources, I'll likely not find the flames I'm looking for. I found literally 1" longnose, but every source told me they have never seen the flames that small. I've spent too many times spending months trying to get the right fit, so I'm not doing it this time. I prefer the flames, and will wait for a pair to pop up, all else fails I see them somewhat routine on DD.

I also raise baby triggers to be rehomed into bigger tanks, so this is something I enjoy. Many people have enjoyed my tank raised fish, so I would have kept a good eye, and rehomed a pair when things got out of hand. I just thought it would be fun and interesting.

@norfolkgarden I think you've seen my NPS build, it's for that tank. I'm having a hard time figuring what to put in there because of the flow. Most of the predators I keep tend to like less flow. I would give the hawkfish live at least once a week.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to drag off topic but I would like to source a bonded pair of flames. How hard are these to source? My local LFS either can't or don't want to mess with any of the special orders I have requested.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to drag off topic but I would like to source a bonded pair of flames. How hard are these to source? My local LFS either can't or don't want to mess with any of the special orders I have requested.

Find another LFS, in today's market they should be more accommodating. I see then on Divers Den online. I'm considering taking a chance for a small pair to bond in my tank. Fishy Business has a sale right now for a pair, these are not bonded pairs but at their size has a strong possibility of bonding. this is not guaranteed though.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this hasn't progressed positively, I'll share my experience just as a reference to others interested. I didn't get a pair from DD, I found 2 itty bitty longnose hawks at an lfs. They went in and for the 1st day there was a little tussle, but nothing too extreme. By the 2nd day they were even hanging out together on the same gorge, so I had positive expectations. By the end of the week, one was dead, I did not immediately blame the survivor as a killer, as fish just die.

So now adding other fish, the longnose just perches then attacks, I find this activity completely boring. I like aggressive fish but I personally don't find enough interest in this fish to put up with his behavior. So now the eviction process begins.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this hasn't progressed positively, I'll share my experience just as a reference to others interested. I didn't get a pair from DD, I found 2 itty bitty longnose hawks at an lfs. They went in and for the 1st day there was a little tussle, but nothing too extreme. By the 2nd day they were even hanging out together on the same gorge, so I had positive expectations. By the end of the week, one was dead, I did not immediately blame the survivor as a killer, as fish just die.

So now adding other fish, the longnose just perches then attacks, I find this activity completely boring. I like aggressive fish but I personally don't find enough interest in this fish to put up with his behavior. So now the eviction process begins.
Thanks for posting this. Too many don't post what doesn't work out.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back