2 Mp40s in a 40 breeder

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I get hit with all the "that's overkill" comments let me say the only reason I'm doing this is because it was a steal. They are older sticker date is 2015 but I got both for $150.

Now like the title says this is a 40 breeder. Now I know flow has alot of factors based on rock work, types of corals etc. But I'm new to the Mp40s. What are some good modes? Opposite side walls or a side wall and back wall. I also have a mag drive 9.5 feeding the tank. And have special grade sand so it is heavier.

I've watched some videos but it's alittle overwhelming with the reef crest and lagoon and nutrients mode and sync and anti sync. So what are some good combos?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 1 MP40s on the other side of my return nozzle with VCA random flow on my 40B.
Even on 40% it was still overpowering the VCA.
Unfortunately, IMO if its 40% or lower, the reefcrest mode is useless. Seems to be like a steady lagoon mode.

Unless you are going full sps and no sands, I suggest try to sell those and get some MP10s

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 1 MP40s on the other side of my return nozzle with VCA random flow on my 40B.
Even on 40% it was still overpowering the VCA.
Unfortunately, IMO if its 40% or lower, the reefcrest mode is useless. Seems to be like a steady lagoon mode.

Unless you are going full sps and no sands, I suggest try to sell those and get some MP10s
So you think the modes won't work as well since I can't ramp them up?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think the modes won't work as well since I can't ramp them up?
Yup. That's what I think. Now I didn't run that long. Only couple days, that was no corals too. But having to fill the sand back to the hole every day clearly showed its too strong.
And after lowering more and more.. 2-3 dots... Then its seems to be a continuous instead of reefcrest mode.
Even that still blowing out my sands.

I am using special grade dry sands. So it's not the fine grain.

Now I am using 2 MP10s on 50% sync and anti sync. Reefcrest on day, lagoon at night at 30%

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice grab on the MP40s! I use 2 MP40s. Each are on the sides pointed directly at each other about halfway up the glass on my 57 gallon rimless, which is 4” taller than your 40 breeder at 36x18x20. At peak, I run at 60% max intensity in Reefcrest mode during the day and then at 40% intensity in Lagoon mode at night. The pumps are in antisync mode, so they are doing the opposite of each other when it comes to intensity. My tank is bare bottom, but I think your special grade sand should be fine with both pumps pushing against each other on opposite sides of the tank. This is especially true if your sandbed is already established. New sand in brand new tanks without any biofilm tend to get blown around much more. With the sand, I’d go with a 50% max intensity setting.

You already own the pumps, so have at it! :)

Master pump

37226A0D-E95D-40F9-B6B2-3678AEEF6324.png

Slave pump

B0123CA8-7F3F-4C68-8872-B994A60B6354.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice grab on the MP40s! I use 2 MP40s. Each are on the sides pointed directly at each other about halfway up the glass on my 57 gallon rimless, which is 4” taller than your 40 breeder at 36x18x20. At peak, I run at 60% max intensity in Reefcrest mode during the day and then at 40% intensity in Lagoon mode at night. The pumps are in antisync mode, so they are doing the opposite of each other when it comes to intensity. My tank is bare bottom, but I think your special grade sand should be fine with both pumps pushing against each other on opposite sides of the tank. This is especially true if your sandbed is already established. New sand in brand new tanks without any biofilm tend to get blown around much more. With the sand, I’d go with a 50% max intensity setting.

You already own the pumps, so have at it! :)

Master pump

37226A0D-E95D-40F9-B6B2-3678AEEF6324.png

Slave pump

B0123CA8-7F3F-4C68-8872-B994A60B6354.png
That's look way simpler to set up on an apex! Lol and thanks for your input I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Just was wondering what combos work best. Since I don't have an apex is there a way I can make them run reef crest during the day and lagoon at night? (Just examples)

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's look way simpler to set up on an apex! Lol and thanks for your input I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Just was wondering what combos work best. Since I don't have an apex is there a way I can make them run reef crest during the day and lagoon at night? (Just examples)
Only if you use reeflink. But not sure how long ecotech will support that

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on the fact that your MP40s are from 2015, you’d need a ReefLink. However, if yours are QD models with the black controller, I believe you can also replace the green RF chip in the controllers for the new black Mobius App compatible chips.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the fact that your MP40s are from 2015, you’d need a ReefLink. However, if yours are QD models with the black controller, I believe you can also replace the green RF chip in the controllers for the new black Mobius App compatible chips.
They are the black controllers I'll check into the chips thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back