2 new frag tanks and counting

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the stand today. I would like to have water in them by this weekend. If things go well I should have 6 more 40 breeders in the next few months but I’m on my way
12.jpg

Mabisyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 6 frag tanks, soooo interested on what kind of lights you'll be using on those bad boys. I cant imagine having all of them with MH :horse: :marv

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is a rack of t5 sitting there ready to be fitted. Should be an interesting ride with 6 tanks, keep us posted.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 6 frag tanks, soooo interested on what kind of lights you'll be using on those bad boys. I cant imagine having all of them with MH :horse: :marv

as the poster above me stated judging by the pics I am gonna have to say he/she is using t5's (sorry dont know your gender and dont want to offend anyone).

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 frag tanks' A little to much for me no room for them. ill enjoy watching your progress

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha it says kevin right in his sig... i'm going out on a limb and saying he's a male but yea why so many frag tanks? starting a little business?

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice man! also, how u making the racks? are they going to be like 3 at different levels? and how many watts totall

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny I always think of everyone on here as a guy (like me) unless it is made clear that they are not. I almost never meet girls that are this into the hobby. Most like my girlfriend like it but don’t really know much about it.

I will be lighting all the tanks with T5s including the sps tanks. I will have separate tanks for Zoas,SPS,LPS and even a softy tank. One will more than likely be a quarantine tank and I will have the sps in two tanks as well as my zoas because all the tanks will not be lighted the same there will be tanks with 2,4 and six bulbs above them depending on what I am growing in them.

This is for a business. I just don’t know exactly what type of business just yet. I will be selling to lfs I have close to 10 of them within a hour of my house. But I may be selling some stuff online as well. It will be six months to a year before I have the numbers and the selection I would like to have. I am a very stubborn and determined person once I decide I want something I get it. I’ve met a few people that woke up one day and decided they wanted to grow coral for a living. They normally give up after a few months or never really get stated in the first place. I’m past that part I’ve been working towards this for six months and just got to where I know how I want to do it.

I’ve played with different lighting and spent a pretty penny doing it. After all the different lights I like T5s the best for what I want to do They don’t put out the heat of MH so no need for a chiller and they are cost effective to buy as well as run so that’s what I’m going with. I am still a little up in the air about bulbs but I have a few that I like and will keep playing as I go.

Hope that answers your questions.:D

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what do you paln on doing besides making tons of frags? are you gonna go online or do frag swaps and things of that nature? Also, what type of corals do you paln on fragging? LE stuff or stuff you find that is nice?

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, sounds like its gonna be fun! I wish I had room for tanks to have a little business. I think it would be great :). I will keep an eye on the thread cant wait to see how it all turns out !!! I think its great that you decided it was something you wanted to do and you are going for it......

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m not pluming them together I went back and forth with this but. I don’t want to have something happen that effect the entire system. With separate systems I don’t have to worry about being completely out of commission. And if I do have to treat for something It would only be in one tank and for 40gal. It will take a little more time to do maintenance but I think it’s worth the trade-off .

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little sidetracked but have started working on my frag system again. I hope to have the first one up and running by the end of the week.

I Just got the lights all put together for my first frag tank. Let me know what you think and as always I’m happy to answer questions

z12.jpg

z13.jpg

z14.jpg

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
the lights are held by metal electrical conduit and attached to it with chain. They're not going anywhere. The whole support system cost about $12. I painted the pipes black to give them some protection from the saltwater. The rest of it is aluminum and stainless So there shouldn't be a problem with the the moisture.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, I like the smooth 90 degree bend. Oh, on the exposed Al, better paint that too, Al is HIGHLY reactive, and will corrode faster then steel when exposed to saltwater.

Also, not that you would put that in your tank, but Al has been linked as a toxin for leather corals. (Well it is toxic to all saltwater life, but leathers seem to be particularly sensitive.)

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good to know. I'll paint it black. I was thinking it would give it a cleaner look anyway. I just got a little impatient and wanted to see the lights on.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back