2 part dosing options for 400 gallon system

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ultraman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ultraman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
411
Reaction score
304
Location
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering switching to 2 part dosing on my 375 gallon mixed reef. I’ve used a calcium reactor for many years on my tanks, but I’ve been way overdosing on my calcium lately. The tank has some SPS, LPS and lots of softies. I’d like to hear options for dosing calcium and alkalinity. Any pros or cons I should consider. My 8x18 GEO reactor works just fine except for overshooting the calcium. I’d also like to see how the tank does with higher ph from not having the CO2 streaming in the water.
 
for a 400g I suggest All-for-Reef liquid :zany-face:

I’m looking at Randys new high pH 2 part, thread is semi active now
 
I use calcium chloride that I get from BRS and for alk I combine some sodium carbonate (I bake arm and hammer baking soda) and sodium hydroxide solutions. I like mixing them so that I have control over how high my ph gets.
I used to struggle to keep my ph over 8.0 but once I started mixing in some lye solution my ph is usually around 8.2-8.4.
 
I would dry Kalkwasser first, before totally ditching the calcium reactor.

But my last 400+ g system was dosed with BRS 3 part using the BRS 1.1 ml dosers. It worked great. Only downside was massive amounts of precipitation on pumps and heaters and my sand would go solid in places.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new