2 part dosing options for 400 gallon system

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering switching to 2 part dosing on my 375 gallon mixed reef. I’ve used a calcium reactor for many years on my tanks, but I’ve been way overdosing on my calcium lately. The tank has some SPS, LPS and lots of softies. I’d like to hear options for dosing calcium and alkalinity. Any pros or cons I should consider. My 8x18 GEO reactor works just fine except for overshooting the calcium. I’d also like to see how the tank does with higher ph from not having the CO2 streaming in the water.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use calcium chloride that I get from BRS and for alk I combine some sodium carbonate (I bake arm and hammer baking soda) and sodium hydroxide solutions. I like mixing them so that I have control over how high my ph gets.
I used to struggle to keep my ph over 8.0 but once I started mixing in some lye solution my ph is usually around 8.2-8.4.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dry Kalkwasser first, before totally ditching the calcium reactor.

But my last 400+ g system was dosed with BRS 3 part using the BRS 1.1 ml dosers. It worked great. Only downside was massive amounts of precipitation on pumps and heaters and my sand would go solid in places.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back