2 part question but its about kalk

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an avast kalk stirrer and I have it setup to drip into the return chamber. My ATK stopped working and I discovered that my sensors were encrusted in kalk sludge. I'm looking into moving the kalk hose and I have 2 possible solutions with questions.

1. My sump has an open drain hole. Can I dump the kalk into that drain? It will work its way back up into the filter floss box. Eventually i'll be readding a klir roller and I don't know how the kalk reacts with filter rollers or floss.

2. I was thinking of running a line up to the DT from the dosing pump that feeds the reactor. Would that even be possible with the 1/2" outlet on the avast stirrer?

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t overthink it and just discharge in a high flow area
Thank you
Limewater/kalkwasser should be slowly added to tank water through the air. An underwater line can cause a lot of precipitation where the two waters meet.
The drain has a few inches of before the water line so it won't be underwater. I was just concerned over the kalk going into the floss.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yeah I’ve had kalk screw up optical sensors, clog up lines, et I won’t use optical sensors with it anymore opting for float switches et.
deposits can collect like stalagmites or whatever…won’t hurt to have the drip line near your return in the sump

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yeah I’ve had kalk screw up optical sensors, clog up lines, et I won’t use optical sensors with it anymore opting for float switches et.
deposits can collect like stalagmites or whatever…won’t hurt to have the drip line near your return in the sump
And like stalactites! ;)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh it’s way worse than that….my spell check sucks and I hate fighting that thing with my bad eyes…I hit edit so often it’s insane …pardon me OP

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I had to google both words. ;Dead

To keep the drip line in the return i'd have to go with float switches and ditch the atk.

I did find someone in this thread with the kalk stirrer output going into the drain area of the sump so I guess it could work.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not sure I understand the setup, but if the dripping kalkwasser is hitting filterfloss that sticks up into the air or is about at the water surface, that will be bad.

Kalkwasser needs to mix in quickly. The tank water in filter floss will not allow rapid mixing and there will be a lot of precipitation taking place in that area.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back