2 Pumps, 1 Tank (deciding on return pumps)

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm in the process of planning a 120 gallon build and wanted to confirm my choice of return pumps...

I am wanting to incorporate 2x return pumps, each independently supplying one of the return nozzles (1 to each nozzle in other words).

However, with one of them, I'd like to send it through a UV unit. So one pump feeding the tank directly, and the other passing through an in-line UV before being sent to the tank.

The pumps will be in the return section of a sump in a stand below the tank, so roughly 5' elevation. I would like to hard plumb.

I was planning on dual Ecotech Vectra S2 pumps. Is that going to be enough given the head pressure? Should I upgrade one of them to an M2 for the the sterilizer? I don't want to have to run either at full power all the time.

Also, would it be possible to plumb a single-outlet manifold into the system as well? In addition to the UV I mean, which would be in-line. What about 2-outlets? I assume I would need at LEAST the M2 to include a manifold.

Thanks!

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gallon. One m2 through a 57watt uv at 37%(300gph/lots of bends and head pressure) and another m2 feeding reactors/manifold at 37%. Both 1” tubing until the very last minute and reduced down to 3/4” returns.

In my experience, 2 pumps at a lower speed is quieter and well worth it, than 1 pump at a higher speed. I plumbed them so if one is down for cleaning or breaks, 1 pump can power everything.

It’s way more difficult to plumb and fit in the sump but it was worth it for me. Hope those numbers help you decide.

RichH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @dangles@ and @QuickrdenU

You both sound like you're doing/resolving the same setup that I'm just about to try and plumb in (new ~400 litre combined tank & sump, for mainly soft/LPS & a few fish).

Tank has x2 3/4" / 20mm inch drilled return holes, and I'm also looking at x2 return pumps: x1 to run one return, the other pump to run the other return and also manifold off to run (at later date) a u.v./reactor/whatever...

Both pumps are DC, return only is 4000l/h @ 0 feet, return & manifold pump is 8000l/h @ 0 feet.

Do you have any pictures of your manifold set up that could be shared?

Do you think these pumps would be too much flow for tank/sump (I'm likely going to turn the pump(s) down from max output anyway)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/suggestions.

Cheers,

Rich.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You both sound like you're doing/resolving the same setup that I'm just about to try and plumb in (new ~400 litre combined tank & sump, for mainly soft/LPS & a few fish).

Tank has x2 3/4" / 20mm inch drilled return holes, and I'm also looking at x2 return pumps: x1 to run one return, the other pump to run the other return and also manifold off to run (at later date) a u.v./reactor/whatever...

Both pumps are DC, return only is 4000l/h @ 0 feet, return & manifold pump is 8000l/h @ 0 feet.

Do you think these pumps would be too much flow for tank/sump (I'm likely going to turn the pump(s) down from max output anyway)?

Cheers,

Rich.
In my short amount of experience here lately, I think that would be fine.. BUT I personally would buy the strongest 1” outlet DC pumps I could afford and operate them at a lower % and reduce to 3/4” right before the outlets. In my case, they are quieter that way, and once you start to add a bunch of elbows to the system, flow will get cut down big time. This is only really a problem if you plan on running UV through one of the sides eventually. Otherwise, you don’t need much sump turnover and those pumps will be plenty. Focus on in tank powerheads for flow.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pics of my sump area in my build thread. I made it super complicated to get it all up and out of the way but it works great. It just took forever to figure it all out. You think you’ll have plenty of room but that’s never the case unless you have an equipment room. The type of sump you get will really determine how your plumbing is run so figure that all out before ordering one. A well designed sump is probably the best $$ spent. I learned a lot with mine and now know what I would do different. Probably go with a geo’s reef. :)

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Cheers,

Rich.

I haven’t gotten to the plumbing yet but I’ll most likely be using the manifold made by Adaptive Reef, followed by UV, both fed by a Vectra M2. Then an S2 for the other return pump going straight into the tank.

Originally I was going to build my own manifold but their’s exactly what I was going to build, and is only about $10 more than if I built it myself!

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gotten to the plumbing yet but I’ll most likely be using the manifold made by Adaptive Reef, followed by UV, both fed by a Vectra M2. Then an S2 for the other return pump going straight into the tank.

Originally I was going to build my own manifold but their’s exactly what I was going to build, and is only about $10 more than if I built it myself!
Yeah, I thought the same thing and have one plumbed into mine. It is quick and easy. I ended up using one side for any large water changes(like cleaning out the sump) and it connects to the garage mixing station. But if you want the outlets somewhere very specific over your sump, I would build them in on your own. I have 2 independent valves I installed for media reactors.

I ended up with a love/hate relationship plumbing my tank and I have tons of extra parts and pieces. I’m glad it’s done! Haha

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will echo, get the strongest pumps you can afford(within reason) and dial them back to match your needs. They will be quieter and last longer

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running two Simplicity 1600 pumps on my 120 Gallon. One goes to the Return in the Overflow, that is 1” Reducing “T” to 3/4” Reduced to two 1/2” Loc-Line Returns. Also this pump is Manifold to a 9watt UV, that dumps back into the sump. The Other goes to two 1” Returns in the Back Glass, reduced down to 3/4” Loc-Lines. Also that pump is Manifolded to a Spinner in my Refuge. Tomorrow or Monday I’m going to swap the pumps the Spinner and UV are on. Running the first pump at a lower speed, is fouling the impeller.
IMG_0343.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back