2 QUESTIONS ABOUT BTA

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!
I got 2 more questions about my BTA (BTA is a rainbow and is 2 inches in size. It’s been in the tank for about 72 hours now):

1. In the mornings it stays small with it’s tentacles retracted (not deflated). At about 12-1pm it starts to look better and it stays better through the night. Then when I wake up it’s back to small. Is this normal?

2. I fed it a tiny piece of krill yesterday. Could I try and feed it a pencil eraser size piece of raw shrimp today?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!
I got 2 more questions about my BTA (BTA is a rainbow and is 2 inches in size. It’s been in the tank for about 72 hours now):

1. In the mornings it stays small with it’s tentacles retracted (not deflated). At about 12-1pm it starts to look better and it stays better through the night. Then when I wake up it’s back to small. Is this normal?

2. I fed it a tiny piece of krill yesterday. Could I try and feed it a pencil eraser size piece of raw shrimp today?

I never feed my Nems ( by "never" I mean once every 3-4 months ).

What you are seeing is a normal cycle in the Nem's day. They do this to cycle water and I believe to get rid of waste.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 yes completely normal
2 direct feeding isn't needed at all. If you want to anyway, no more than once a week.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if the food doesn't stick to the tentacles, don't force it. They can feed themselves if they want it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes my clown feeds the nem for me. That's always fun to watch.

Yes. It's called a symbiotic relationship. It is a mutually beneficial relationship between the clown and the Nem.

When the Nem hosts the clown ( no the clown doesn't host the Nem ), the clown is being cleaned by the Nem and the nem is feeding on what it picks off the clown.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's called a symbiotic relationship. It is a mutually beneficial relationship between the clown and the Nem.

When the Nem hosts the clown ( no the clown doesn't host the Nem ), the clown is being cleaned by the Nem and the nem is feeding on what it picks off the clown.
I was under the impression that clowns hassled the nem more than helped it. Hopefully my clowns will feed it too!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that clowns hassled the nem more than helped it. Hopefully my clowns will feed it too!
Depends on the anemone I think. The closer in size they are the worse it is for the nem. If you have a 2" clown and a 10" nem it's much easier on the nem than being 2 and 2.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back