2 Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Degener8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Degener8

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Messages
393
Reaction score
5
Location
Tenino, Wa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question I have is about acclimating to a new light source.
What is thought in general to be the minimum benefical amount of time to run your lighting and keep your corals in good health. My wifes tank will move from 150w MH to LED and I would like to acclimate them slowly to more intense lighting.. the unit is not dimmable so I figure she will need to adjust her light cycle.

The second question pertains to filter socks...
What micro filter sock is best for our aquariums? .. it seems I see alot of 200 micron socks for sale is this the best size to use, and what is everyones feeling on nylon verse the felt filter socks?

Ok so maybe thats a little bit more than 2 questions but rather 2 topics..LOL

Thanks
Garnet
 
I like to leave the lights at the height and duration that you plan on having them at long term.

At that point I will place 3 layers of window screening (( supported by egg crate )) b/t the lights and the tank, with removing a layer every 5-7 days. I have gotten a lot better results with this method.
Remember, that you can still get sunburnt in a half hour if you don't have any sunscreen on, so think of the screening as sunscreen for your tank.

If you look at the right side of the tank, you can the egg crate and screening I used for a new anemone.

FTS4_7_10.jpg




As for filter socks, haven't used them so can't comment.
 
Yeah I have seen the screen method before. Thanks for the reminder though as I had not thought f this for her tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new