2 x MP60 On Same Side for 72"x48"x20"h ?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to figure out if this will be enough flow for my new build? Specifically, if i place the pumps side by side on a side wall.

Will the MP60s be able to stretch the full length of the 6ft tank?

Thank you for any insight!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you get a wave going, you can do that. If it’s just random flow, it will be more of a challenge depending on your Rockwork

Thank you @Reefpharmer Great point on the rock work - i should have mentioned this.

I am planning on 4 relatively small islands, with a ton of open space. Similar to the scape in my avatar.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you an idea I have a 72x30x24 and have 2 mp60s on one side and 1 mp40 on the other. I am considering adding a 2nd mp40 and putting one of each on each side. I don't think 2mp60s is enough personally. I would also have to say that it probably depends on what kinds of corals you will be keeping as well.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To give you an idea I have a 72x30x24 and have 2 mp60s on one side and 1 mp40 on the other. I am considering adding a 2nd mp40 and putting one of each on each side. I don't think 2mp60s is enough personally. I would also have to say that it probably depends on what kinds of corals you will be keeping as well.

Hi, thank you! This is very helpful. I willHave a good mix of everything, with heavy SPS. I think I'm going to go with 2-4 Tunze 6255's. to get there flow stretched out over the 6 ft length.

I ran the 2 x MP60s on my 48x38x20 and it was perfect. I have reservations about them covering 6ftx4ft though. Thank you for your insight.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same tank. Running 4 MP60's 2 per side.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't work out for me with two MP60 on the same side on my 72"x48"x24". The pumps were not strong enough to push to the end of the 72". And it was quite loud at 100%. Got two Tunze 6255s and ran them at 50% power.
In a peninsula with a wider width, you want the more direct flow of the Tunze rather than the more dispersed flow pattern of the MP if you want to keep the pumps on one side of the tank. The 6255 is a beast and is very wide flow. Very happy with them. It's a lot more quiet than the MP. I wouldn't say silent because there's always some noise if you listen for it.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It didn't work out for me with two MP60 on the same side on my 72"x48"x24". The pumps were not strong enough to push to the end of the 72". And it was quite loud at 100%. Got two Tunze 6255s and ran them at 50% power.
In a peninsula with a wider width, you want the more direct flow of the Tunze rather than the more dispersed flow pattern of the MP if you want to keep the pumps on one side of the tank. The 6255 is a beast and is very wide flow. Very happy with them. It's a lot more quiet than the MP. I wouldn't say silent because there's always some noise if you listen for it.

Hey @this is me - thank you for the input. Your tank is actually the tank that "alerted" me to start asking questions about the MP60's. I watched your videos and studied your layout by the way. I also used your tank as a model for my lighting as well. I considered using a 6ft Spectra - but decided to build a custom fixture with 4 x 250 halides - running in parallel to ensure the sides are not shadowed. :)

I love the Vortechs, a hard requirement for me is having pumps only on one side of the tank. So, I need it to reach all 6 feet.

Stunning tank by the way!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.2%
Back