20 gal Aqueon sump design & baffle help

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Messages
2,734
Reaction score
7,222
Location
Nashville, Tennessee
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am designing a 20 gal Aqueon sump and don't want a refugium. These are the designs I have found below. The tank measures 30 x 12 x 12.

a) Where should my Reef Octopus 110 be placed? I requires a 7.0 to 7.9 inch water height.
b) How high should each baffle be and which design to go with? Note the last baffles are switched.

1607554502800.png
1607554552985.png
 
if the both black baffles are sealed at the bottom I don't see the purpose of the first.
water level will be the same in both chambers. follow the gmac example.

first baffle higher the outlet pipes so there's no noise/splashing.

last baffle sealed at the bottom so no air bubbles, generated by the water flowing over the baffle (second pic) getting sucked in by the return pump.
 
Last edited:
the top design is better at stopping skimmer bubbles but may become clogged if you have macro algae in the middle chamber

the bottom is better to contain macro algae in the middle

I made my baffles about 8" and regret it a bit because when I turn off the pump and the overflow drains in to the sump, there is not much room for error as the sump is nearly full to the rim so I think i should have done 6" tall baffles but is also depends on the size of your skimmer and how much water height it needs in the first chamber to work properly.
PXL_20201210_155344793.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new