20 Gallon JBJ Frag tank build

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a JBJ frag tank off @Reefrookie220 over the weekend and I'm planning on using it as a coral/invert quarantine tank and grow out tank. Planning on using a mp10 for flow and an AI Prime for lighting. Aquatic life mini 115 skimmer and in tank media basket. This tank is going with my fish quarantine in a room off the garage. It's not climate controlled but my heater and a fan have thus far been able to maintain 80 +\- 2 degrees.

Now.. Should I put in sand or leave it bare bottom? I really dig rock flower anemones and plan on getting a few in the future. Will rock flower anemones do ok on bare bottom? Looks are not going to matter on this tank and all I am concerned with is function. I'm thinking the sand will help out with filtration but bare bottom would be easier to clean. I have some left over sand so I don't have to purchase any. I don't have any frag racks but egg crate is cheap. I have good sized pieces of live rock in my DT that I plan to use to kick start the tank. I have been wondering though if I go bare bottom with fresh salt water and the rock from my DT would I even have a cycle?

Open to recommendations....

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom, use that back chamber as a fuge for your rock and sand, the spray bar would blow sand every where. My .02. Good choice on the prime!

OP
OP
Jeeper

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm off today so I'm cleaning and modifying... I am going to do away with the spray bar, cover the hole and move my return up higher. Added this that I had ordered when I had the old sump that came with my 75.
20160421_122309.jpg

OP
OP
Jeeper

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the filter sock bracket out.. Didn't realize that was where the Intank rack went.
20160502_201618.jpg

I have it in my fish room which is basically a closet off the garage where the water heater lives. Using the brute for Rodi and need to quit being lazy and plumb the slim jim with a valve for my mixing tank. I am planning on redoing my workbench and that is basically my excuse for the wire octopus going everywhere.
20160502_201610_2.jpg

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, really no need to raise the return level, your MP10 will be overkill for flow on that 20g. I have an MP10 on a 12g shallow and have it on the 3rd speed lol. Also, I'd maybe reconsider the edge of the tank hanging off the shelf. The way the JBJ's are sealed, it might blow out without the support, even at 20 gallons. It may not, but I'd be nervous lol. Looks great, though!!

OP
OP
Jeeper

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as soon as my fish are out of qt I plan on rebuilding the work bench (may 20). It hangs over about .5 of an inch... I'm planning on making it about 5 inches wider. I have the 2x4s and 3/4 plywood on hand.

Reeflogic