20 Gallon Long Sump Design Help

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering building a 20 gallon long sump for a 40 gallon breeder display tank. I've never built a sump, but after some reading, I've come up with a simple design in which the water will flow from drain/skimmer > refugium > media tray > return.

Can someone review the dimensions of my baffles and chambers and the overall layout? My main priority is being able to handle power outages. After that, I'd like to improve the layout (possibly adjust height of baffles, length of chambers, etc.) in order to make the best sump possible right away since making changes after the tank is wet will be difficult.

Specifications
Display: Aqueon 40 gallon breeder (~36 x ~18 x ~16)
Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse M Overflow Box (800 gph)
Plumbing: 2 x 1” drains in which the main drain is controlled by a gate valve and a ¾” return (possible dual return)
Sump: Aqueon 20 gallon long (~30 x ~12 x ~12)
Glass baffle dimensions: All baffles will be ¼” thick and a “wiggle room” of ⅛” will be allocated for each side
Skimmer: Undecided - Is 9" a versatile skimmer|refugium baffle height? Since I don't know what skimmer to use yet, I want to set a height that can accommodate most skimmers.
Return pump: Undecided

The swiggle is a egg crate tray. I plan to put media bags on the tray so water can flow through the media as the water enters the return chamber.
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 3.27.40 PM.png

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any glaring issues with the design. 9" is a good height for the drain/skimmer section. You can always raise the skimmer with a stand if you have to, but it's not so easy to go the other way. :confused:

As to having sufficient room for drain down during pump outage, you can further control that with the depth of your return lines in the display. Keep them higher yo the surface and less will drain down, plus you'll benefit from some additional surface agitation.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fact that the bubble trap baffles are 2 inches and then 1 inch apart matter? Most seem to be apart the same distance.

Also, some bubble trap baffles I see have the 1st and 3rd baffles (Baffle #2 and Baffle # 4 from left to right) the same height. Why do people do this? I would think the 1st and 3rd baffles have to be the lowest so there is no backflow.

Mindset

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fact that the bubble trap baffles are 2 inches and then 1 inch apart matter? Most seem to be apart the same distance.

Also, some bubble trap baffles I see have the 1st and 3rd baffles (Baffle #2 and Baffle # 4 from left to right) the same height. Why do people do this? I would think the 1st and 3rd baffles have to be the lowest so there is no backflow.
How did your sump work out? After running it for a while, did you make any changes? I'm getting ready to do a similar build for my daughter.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your sump work out? After running it for a while, did you make any changes? I'm getting ready to do a similar build for my daughter.

Some people like to have the return in the middle section vs the last area. Media bags can go anywhere in the sump. I’m more of a fan of reactors thought as they work better. The height of the first baffle is set by your skimmer the rest don’t matter. You want the return area to be on the smaller side because your evaporation will effect the water height in there.

20896E0F-300D-4928-B901-13C2CDBF5FD1.jpeg

Some people like the bubble trap this way vs what OP has AEA0A802-7390-463B-A611-310243B3FE15.jpeg

Last edited:

NewSaltwaterGuy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people like to have the return in the middle section vs the last area. Media bags can go anywhere in the sump. I’m more of a fan of reactors thought as they work better. The height of the first baffle is set by your skimmer the rest don’t matter. You want the return area to be on the smaller side because your evaporation will effect the water height in there.

Some people like the bubble trap this way vs what OP has AEA0A802-7390-463B-A611-310243B3FE15.jpeg

So is this better than the op way or does it not matter really I'm assuming this way would be quieter

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people like the refugium first as well. I don’t know that one way is better then another or quieter. Some people like the refugium to get unfiltered water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back