20 Gallon Reef Tank Light

emilyruthwinsor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have an Aqua One AquaNano 60 Tank (20 gallon) marine tank currently just with live rock and fish. I’m looking to add some corals (especially an anemone as I have a pair of clowns) and was wondering what the best budget light is to get?

I am based in the UK and many US recommended lights that I have seen aren’t sold here. What are your thoughts on the Fluval Marine Nano Bluetooth LED 20W Light. My tank is classed as a nano tank but I’m unsure if this light would be big/strong enough for 20 gallons as it says for desktop and nano tanks so makes me think that it is made for smaller tanks?

Please do let me know your thoughts and recommendations!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, I have an Aqua One AquaNano 60 Tank (20 gallon) marine tank currently just with live rock and fish. I’m looking to add some corals (especially an anemone as I have a pair of clowns) and was wondering what the best budget light is to get?

I am based in the UK and many US recommended lights that I have seen aren’t sold here. What are your thoughts on the Fluval Marine Nano Bluetooth LED 20W Light. My tank is classed as a nano tank but I’m unsure if this light would be big/strong enough for 20 gallons as it says for desktop and nano tanks so makes me think that it is made for smaller tanks?

Ai prime or @noopsyche would be good choices

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the US but most people with tanks that size I know of go for an AI Prime. I’d be surprised if AI isn’t available in the UK, but I guess it’s possible.

OP
OP
E

emilyruthwinsor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for everyone’s responses! My LFS suggested the Fluval Marine 3.0 32W light - good suggestion or no?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I suggest to stay away from fluval, I have bad experiences with a few products, and no one really refers to fluval when suggesting lights. Even the cheap amazon lights are suggested very often, but no one suggest fluval lighting, there must be a reason right?

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone’s responses! My LFS suggested the Fluval Marine 3.0 32W light - good suggestion or no?

Some months ago I bought the hipargero 30W light from amazon uk. Google up the reviews there is a guy on youtube who measures PAR values for this light and there are many reviews of the light on this site (thats why I got it).

There is an amazon voucher for it at the moment so it can be had for 80 (for me it was 20 less with voucher, but since then we had inflation it seems). They sent me the latest version with the ramp up and down, so far I am pleased with the light, especially for the price I paid.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some months ago I bought the hipargero 30W light from amazon uk. Google up the reviews there is a guy on youtube who measures PAR values for this light and there are many reviews of the light on this site (thats why I got it).

There is an amazon voucher for it at the moment so it can be had for 80 (for me it was 20 less with voucher, but since then we had inflation it seems). They sent me the latest version with the ramp up and down, so far I am pleased with the light, especially for the price I paid.
+1 2 hipagero would be great

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two smaller lights would be good due to the length of a 20 gallon. A bar light would also work well. Are you preferring to buy from the lfs or online somewhere? The reason I ask is that some cheap amazon lights are not easy for an LFS to order in from a wholesaler so my suggestion would change depending on that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Assuming you don’t mind spending more money, I would personally go for a Reef Flare instead. I’m also based in the UK and this is one of the best lights outside of Radion, and some of the Red Sea lights. The only downside is the power in this lighting. Mine is sat on a 3’x16”x1’ tank, at full power this light was throwing 600+ on the sandbed alone. It’s reduced to just over half of its full power and now pushing 350-400 PAR.
Here’s just a few (filtered) photos of colouring I’ve gotten from this light. I also get some extremely fast growth from my corals.
A2FF1FFB-BD96-4C4E-A1F0-B3510BE58898.jpeg

A175A184-843A-4FB7-A367-3D61DC857B4C.jpeg

If you just want a light to show the fish a day/night cycle then I don’t think it really matters. However when it comes to growing coral I personally would try to get a light from the more reef hobby associated names like Reef Factory.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI there is voucher and black friday deal for it, so can buy it for 60 again on amazon.uk.

NSS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Fluval Marine Nano was the first light I started with. I had minimal success with it. I would recommend something like the AI Prime 16. That light might be a bit more expensive but it will last you much longer while you get deeper into the hobby. The Fluval Light has a decent App and the color mix is also decent. But it just doesn't have enough power.
I currently have a 15G Nano with an AI Prime 16 and growing beginner SPS no problem. Just today I took some PAR values on that tank and while I was on it, I got the Fluval Light out of my "redundant tech" box and did some PAR measurements (Apogee MQ510) on it over a 12-inch cube just for the heck of it.

Light 2.5-inches above water:

UV 100%, Blue 100%, Red 3%, Green 3%, White 10%

or alternatively

UV 100%, Blue 100%, Red 0%, Green 0%, White 20%

I get values of:

70 PAR at the bottom
100 PAR at 1/3 from the bottom
160 PAR at 2/3 from the bottom

if you only run the UV and the Blue channels you get:

50 PAR at the bottom
60 PAR 1/2 from the bottom

if you only run the UV and the Blue channels and you REDUCE the light height to 1.5" above water you get:

60 PAR at the bottom
90 PAR 1/2 from the bottom

My conclusion is that if you have a 12" tank and only want to have some soft corals you could use it. But it will not get you much further than that in terms of PAR and tank size. If you want to have fun in the hobby it is a definitive NO, in my oppinion.
I will say though, it has no fan and is completely quiet. That is a big plus.

Collector1924

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval Marine Nano was the first light I started with. I had minimal success with it. I would recommend something like the AI Prime 16. That light might be a bit more expensive but it will last you much longer while you get deeper into the hobby. The Fluval Light has a decent App and the color mix is also decent. But it just doesn't have enough power.
I currently have a 15G Nano with an AI Prime 16 and growing beginner SPS no problem. Just today I took some PAR values on that tank and while I was on it, I got the Fluval Light out of my "redundant tech" box and did some PAR measurements (Apogee MQ510) on it over a 12-inch cube just for the heck of it.

Light 2.5-inches above water:

UV 100%, Blue 100%, Red 3%, Green 3%, White 10%

or alternatively

UV 100%, Blue 100%, Red 0%, Green 0%, White 20%

I get values of:

70 PAR at the bottom
100 PAR at 1/3 from the bottom
160 PAR at 2/3 from the bottom

if you only run the UV and the Blue channels you get:

50 PAR at the bottom
60 PAR 1/2 from the bottom

if you only run the UV and the Blue channels and you REDUCE the light height to 1.5" above water you get:

60 PAR at the bottom
90 PAR 1/2 from the bottom

My conclusion is that if you have a 12" tank and only want to have some soft corals you could use it. But it will not get you much further than that in terms of PAR and tank size. If you want to have fun in the hobby it is a definitive NO, in my oppinion.
I will say though, it has no fan and is completely quiet. That is a big plus.
I just bought 2 nicrew 30 watt lights pendant awesome easily adjustable and fanless ! From Amazon 70.00 each. Fantastic lights compact, you need to buy a 2 channel timer for 15 for each light to have them turn on automatically with sunrise sunset etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back