OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was researching, my mom said we could go to a reef convention anywhere in the country if I wanted to because our school’s conservation trip to costs rica was cancelled.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is manicured and ugly
*wants to stop talking about freshwater on a saltwater forum, but is now posting pictures of freshwater tanks*
Confused Star Wars GIF

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I like nature’s chaos. It is healthy for the fish but it isn’t just a mess of twigs with no thought into it
And yet you say the tank you posted a picture of, looks ugly and is “manicured”??

Usually, when tanks look like that, they are just at the start of the build. People usually carpet tanks like that using seeds. The method is called “dry starting” the tank.

After the carpet has taken root, then they start to add other plants in. I highly doubt that is the aquarists final vision for that tank.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water was drained halfway and that Java fern was a air plant that would basically be my scape
Not sure that will work for saltwater, everything except mangroves require being covered in water
Java Fern can grow out of water, but it takes a lot of work to accomplish. You would need to spray it daily, with water, or have a spray bar.

That is a big “if” however...

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Java Fern can grow out of water, but it takes a lot of work to accomplish. You would need to spray it daily, with water, or have a spray bar.

That is a big “if” however...
No I’m talking like the scape will be saltwater but it’s gonna have a emersed part with plants like arrowhead spikerush and air plants

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m talking like the scape will be saltwater but it’s gonna have a emersed part with plants like arrowhead spikerush and air plants
I would just setup the tank first, don’t worry about coral, or other plants. Heck, at this point, don’t we end worry about stock. Just get the tank setup.

If you go back 61 pages, and read from the beginning, you will find loads of useful information.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is java Fern SW
No. It can be brackish though, I am going to have ferns and bromeliads growing on rock sticking out of the water though
Unless you collect it from the wild, it will most likely die if you try to grow it in brackish water.

It is true that they are naturally found in brackish swamps, but they have heavily adapted to freshwater because of their popularity in the aquarium trade.

You might be able to grow it in brackish water, but it sounds like a waste of time/resources to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back