200 Pop up WYSWYG Coral Auctions are now live!!!!!!! no limit no reserve bids starting at $1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this stuff yesterday. With all the changes I haven’t really checked my water in a little over a week and a half. My lps are happy same with Zoas and non Acro SPS. The Acros are….ok . With the furriest ones doing the best. Creature Millis in particular looking pretty good.it’s funny the Acros that look the best are all some shade of green. Coincidence? Tomorrow is an off day from work. So I think some water testing is in order.
IMG_0614.jpeg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this stuff yesterday. With all the changes I haven’t really checked my water in a little over a week and a half. My lps are happy same with Zoas and non Acro SPS. The Acros are….ok . With the furriest ones doing the best. Creature Millis in particular looking pretty good.it’s funny the Acros that look the best are all some shade of green. Coincidence? Tomorrow is an off day from work. So I think some water testing is in order.
IMG_0614.jpeg
You get days off? How can I get in on such a sweet deal? I ended up going in twice over my weekend off to fix a power outage and diagnose a compressor failure. There went my plans for filling the new tank.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t changed salt. Alk is swinging though 9ish to low 8s between WC. WC once a week 10 - 20%. Salinity has been double checked with 2 refracs 2 different calibration liquids. PO4 and and no3 have been all over the place during this. Currently at .02 and 8.5 no3. One thing I did change recently is I was using this cottony filter fiber and switched to the more sponge like filter floss. I noticed when I worked on the tank, detritus was flying everywhere and the sump was pretty gross. Started getting pretty crazy algae growth and some cyano
In tank but I cleaned it up manually all the time. Thinking my mechanical filtration was not good enough. Never saw my nitrates get about 15 or so but I still think it was dirty. Sump is clean and tank is cleaner but there have been a lot of changes. Trying to stabilize things now.
Phosphate is too low. Need to get up bc you are close to bottoming out. Turkey baste your rocks, clean glass and use the diy coral snow on the tank to bind particulates. Use at least once a week. You can start by using every day or two.

Thread 'Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/extreme-water-clarity-and-cyano-eradication-made-easy.916381/

Do you siphon sand?

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is too low. Need to get up bc you are close to bottoming out. Turkey baste your rocks, clean glass and use the diy coral snow on the tank to bind particulates. Use at least once a week. You can start by using every day or two.
Thread 'Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/extreme-water-clarity-and-cyano-eradication-made-easy.916381/

Do you siphon sand?
Excellent! Thanks. I will get that coral snow going. Yes, I know my phosphates are low. I had them up around .1 before doing large WC to combat ammonia issues. Aside from large WC seems like large amounts of algae were consuming a lot of phosphate. Then I discovered all of that detritus was gathering in my sump. Saturday I spent several hours thoroughly cleaning my sump and display. Sump is spotless now, running thick filter floss pad, carbon, and fuge. Ive been on top of blowing off/ scrubbing hair algae and little bits of cyano I see gathering. I clean glass everyday. I siphon sand a little each WC but don’t get too crazy with it. My tank is looking very clean currently. Crystal clear water with little algae. I felt like I was fighting a losing battle before because I would thoroughly clean everything and then the next day, glass and sand bed would be covered with a light green algae film. I did notice after I thoroughly cleaned, I would see tons of detritus just swirling around for a couple hours after. Pretty sure my mechanical filtration was not working good but hoping I got it fixed now. I’ll start using that snow to help as well.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Do you siphon sand?
What is your opinion on San siphoning? I don't. At most I might stir it. I have two strawberry conch (one rotates into the frag tank occasionally) and 5+ nassarius snails. That and my constant moving of new frags on the sandbed, I consider it stirred.

I don't want to siphon it because I can see all the amphipods in the sand against the glass and I don't want to impact anything my mandarin goby eats.

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone having much success with them eating aiptasia. Anyone had success with them?
I have a copperband and an aiptaisia eating filefish. Between them two i dont have any aiptasia but im not sure if its one or both thats doing the job.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on San siphoning? I don't. At most I might stir it. I have two strawberry conch (one rotates into the frag tank occasionally) and 5+ nassarius snails. That and my constant moving of new frags on the sandbed, I consider it stirred.

I don't want to siphon it because I can see all the amphipods in the sand against the glass and I don't want to impact anything my mandarin goby eats.
Waiting for @billyocean to answer but I’ve heard both sides of the argument. I generally just try to do a small section each WC because I don’t know either. I’ve got a conch and I actually stir it sometimes too.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon every water change. If my sand gets pushed around it doesn't wreak havoc like an OLD sandbed that's never stirred or siphoned. I choose to do it because of all the junk it removes..I'm sure it removes some good too. I have sand creatures too but like looking at an ant farm from the side I would think it still leaves pockets of sand untouched. I have no idea if it's better or not..it hasn't hurt anything by doing it so far.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon every water change. If my sand gets pushed around it doesn't wreak havoc like an OLD sandbed that's never stirred or siphoned. I choose to do it because of all the junk it removes..I'm sure it removes some good too. I have sand creatures too but like looking at an ant farm from the side I would think it still leaves pockets of sand untouched. I have no idea if it's better or not..it hasn't hurt anything by doing it so far.
I siphon at least weekly as well. If its a years old untouched sandbed it can nuke your tank but i think it removes more bad than good. Sand is dirty AF

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back