Here is my current plan so far,

CO2
Purchase a Monitor(suggestions?)
Iron
ICP test (Ordered Tonight)
Check Alk
Double checked with Hanna [9.1 @ 30 minutes before lights out]
Cheato/Macro Fuge
Need new storage container(3-5 gallons;still looking)
Better Management of feed
Spot feeding with smaller amounts for corals [Frozen foods]

CUC additions to be ordered next month

Small Red Leg hermits
Zebra Trochus
Turbo Snails(I think these will crawl out the tank)

Cleaning regime methods:

Narrow Hose with something to scrap the rocks attached to end for use during Water Changes.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo Snails(I think these will crawl out the tank)
Yes in my experience they are more likely to do so than most snails. I only have one tank without a netting and it has two turbos. One never got out. The other i found on the floor three times the first month(and now several months later has not happened again. So it seems eventually he learned :)

CO2
Purchase a Monitor(suggestions?)
My suggestion is save the money and skip the co2 monitor. To see if your tank has excess co2 put a tank water sample in tupperware and test the ph. Then put that same water outside with an airstone bubbling for 10 minutes and test the ph. If it goes up that is a sign you likely have high co2 level in the tank(or tank is poorly aerated). Can do the same bubbler test in the same room as fish tank and if ph goes up in thay scenario then it more likely just need more aeration in tank.

The problem though is still how to deal with it if you find too much co2. Unless you live in an area where it the climate makes it reasonable to leave windows open much of the year you are stuck with options like running an airline from skimmer to outside or using a co2 scrubber on the skimmer.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran another test 30 after lights on.

Alk 8.8 Morning
Alk 9.1 Evening

UPDATE: 10/21/2021 Forgot to mention that the ICP test came in and was sent back out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered and received everything to move my Top Off to an external bin, which is giving me room for a fuge. I also received an Eco Chiv LED from Tunze, pretty cool lil kit. I went into the display tank and just ripped out as much hair algae that I could. It was a lot, and even walked away with a few slices on the outside of my hand. One of those issues no one talks about with having an SPS tank. They are razor sharp. I was offered some free cheato from a local hobbyist, but I think I want to order fresh from AlgaeBarn. Nitrates and Phosphates are still within that constant range. I will be doing a water change today to start working on getting my iron back to norms. I am planning on getting in the tank daily for 5-10 minutes and just do some scrubbing to dislodge as much as I can.

I have adjusted the feeding even more and I am not feeding half cube of frozen in the morning and a pinch of dried in the evening. The bristleworn pop has dramatically decreased. I have stopped all use of Selcon and ReefRoids. Makes me sad because the both made the corals pop.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered and received everything to move my Top Off to an external bin, which is giving me room for a fuge. I also received an Eco Chiv LED from Tunze, pretty cool lil kit. I went into the display tank and just ripped out as much hair algae that I could. It was a lot, and even walked away with a few slices on the outside of my hand. One of those issues no one talks about with having an SPS tank. They are razor sharp. I was offered some free cheato from a local hobbyist, but I think I want to order fresh from AlgaeBarn. Nitrates and Phosphates are still within that constant range. I will be doing a water change today to start working on getting my iron back to norms. I am planning on getting in the tank daily for 5-10 minutes and just do some scrubbing to dislodge as much as I can.

I have adjusted the feeding even more and I am not feeding half cube of frozen in the morning and a pinch of dried in the evening. The bristleworn pop has dramatically decreased. I have stopped all use of Selcon and ReefRoids. Makes me sad because the both made the corals pop.

Awesome. Just keep an eye on those Phosphates. As the Bristle Worm population dies off it will release nutrients into the water. You dont want to have a big spike.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything has been up and running for a little over a week now. Algae is growing in the refuge area, 99% of algae on rocks is gone(no scrubbing other than once). Water change was done at 25% volume. I still have a bit of hair algae on the back wall but I am just letting it suck up what it can and will remove it. Much easier to remove from the back wall than the rocks. Just gotta wait till the algae gets large enough in the refuge to battle it everything down in the display.

Bristle worms have all but disappeared, Astrea snails I assume are eating the bodies because they are starting to bloom in populations. I pull them out as I can, just another form of nutrient export.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back