- Joined
- Apr 10, 2023
- Messages
- 713
- Reaction score
- 682
- Location
- Pittsburgh
- What state or country do you live in
- Pennsylvania
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Haha, I have to hook the hydros up still, and then xfer the f1s I use currently over to the x10.Just wanted to let you know, in a public way, that you still stink. (Probably worse than the sea hare.)


Yeah, like, whatever man. No one cares. LOL!Haha, I have to hook the hydros up still, and then xfer the f1s I use currently over to the x10.![]()


I wish I could like your post but, well, you know...Alright well yesterday was a busy day! Got both the x10 and x8 setup and rhe probes placed into the tank!
Still need to run new dosing lines and then swap over to the new dosers, but I do feel slightly better now with alerts on the return pump if something goes wrong!
![]()
I also have a ton of cable management to do this weekend but mostly wanted to get it up for now!
I wish I could like your post but, well, you know...Alright well yesterday was a busy day! Got both the x10 and x8 setup and rhe probes placed into the tank!
Still need to run new dosing lines and then swap over to the new dosers, but I do feel slightly better now with alerts on the return pump if something goes wrong!
![]()
I also have a ton of cable management to do this weekend but mostly wanted to get it up for now!

I had to drive 1.5 hours each way to pick it up if that makes you feel better. Really cut int the cost
…Oh stop! I'm getting all misty-eyed over here.I had to drive 1.5 hours each way to pick it up if that makes you feel better. Really cut int the cost
…
Hope you had/have a very Happy Birthday!Last of the birthday corals have arrived, and will be my first attempt at acros. They were a decent price so I figured now was as good a time as any to try.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Alright, little update on the above, the astrea snails haven't been in long but are already knocking back the algae quite a bit! The snowglobe effect is still occurring, but I did happen upon another piece of information I thought might be contributing, I think likely it is not just one thing! When pulling big mat algae out, I noticed big puffs come out of the algae of stored up fines (from the gobies I assume) so my next assumption is that my rocks are completely loaded with stuff that resettled and didn't export out!
With that said, starting yesterday I started turkey bastering my rocks for 5 minutes, right before the mp40 nutrient export mode. My thought is, if I do this for a while and my theory is correct, the stored mess should become less and less over time! When I did it yesterday (first day) I stopped pretty quickly after as the mess it created was a lot before it could be pushed down the overflow! So my plan over the next few weeks is to be to continue to do this right before the export mode and see what happens!
The filter floss was a bit dirtier this morning then normal (expected with me stirring more up) and my thought was I can also use this as an indicator of if I am having any impact. I also noticed that the side of my tank with only one mp40 seems to have trouble getting things down the back of the overflow. It may be I eventually need an additional powerhead over there but I wont address that until I see how the astrea and the stir up goes for a few weeks! I imagine when the time comes, it will be less about tank flow for me and more about pushing stuff down the overflow, so the need might be something I can aim and not another mp40. But I have made enough changes with the snails and the stir up that I think its important to track it for a few weeks and see how it does.
If I am right all of these things are kind of feeding into each other, diamonds stir up stuff, some gets exported some settles on rocks algae. The astrea will help with algae part, the baster will help get more off the rocks, etc... we shall see
Hey! So... would you believe me if I said I tried this, I did use the um... **** whats the name of it (common red brand) version of this! I also wrapped it in filter floss and through it in the tank. The polisher actually didn't pull much out, I was so surprised! Marineland, that was it, when I would pull it out to swap the floss after 24 hours it would still be completely clean lolWow! This is a LOT of silt accumulation… the sand itself (too many fine particles not screened out) is the likely culprit…
Thankfully, it’s an issue which fixes itself over time… however, that doesn’t make it any less annoying!
— here’s a trick which I don’t typically recommend (it’s buying extra stuff and doing extra work), but I believe will work very well for your specific issue:
![]()
I think several companies still sell these cheap/ugly “water polisher” filters; it’s just a plastic housing which comes with a thin filter floss inside… I toss the factory filter floss and roll in a cut-to-size swath of 5 micron filter floss (of the style you see in canister filters)!
![]()
Ideally, you want one that disassembles as seen here, with an inner mesh “cage” to protect the pump inlet from sucking floss in!
— This contraption, with the pump of your choice, can be stuck in the display to either suction, or blow off the rock structures while catching the majority of the ensuing silt! — a bit like an aquatic vacuum cleaner/blower!