200g Stock List Advice Please

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am looking to fill out my tank stock list. I currently have 1 black storm clown, 1 orchid dotty back, 2 banggai cardinals and a blue mandarin dragonette.
I am thinking of adding 5-7 Springeri Damsels or Blue/Green Chromis, a watchman goby and then finish off with a white tail bristletooth tang, yellow tang and a blue hippo. Possibly would add an anthias. Let me know what you all think, thanks.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size tank your list looks pretty good. The fish you have are pretty peaceful and considered community fish.

For your tangs I would just add them at the same time if possible to minimize any aggression towards each other.

And your idea of a schooling damsel or chromis is an idea I have for my upcoming build however after reading many things about chromis, after a while the chromis might kill each other off. I would just make sure you do some research on how to handle them to prevent something like this.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally add a few wrasses from these genera to the list;
Macropharyngodon
Anampses
Pseudojuloides
Halichoeres
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus
Xenojulis

OP
OP
Trommell

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add a Wrasse but I do have some hermits, snails, and crabs as well and don't think they will play nice. Tangs were going to be the last group and all at once. I was leaning more to the springeri damsels because of the chromis killing each other off but suppose the damsels will do that as well?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add a Wrasse but I do have some hermits, snails, and crabs as well and don't think they will play nice. Tangs were going to be the last group and all at once. I was leaning more to the springeri damsels because of the chromis killing each other off but suppose the damsels will do that as well?
If you stick to the Trochus, Turbo, Nassarius, Cerith Snails (Snails with a thick shell or that are nocturnal) you should be alright with the hunting species. I personally find Hermits to often be useless as they tend to just kill eachother off and then go for your snails anyway.
The Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species of wrasses are your best wrasses if you want to keep more delicate inverts that may not have a way to defend themselves. This is due to these two genera being Planktivorous Wrassesso they don’t feed from small inverts in the way Halichoeres and the other genera I mentioned tend to do.

The Macropharyngodon, Pseudojuloides, Xenojulis and Anampses genera tend to be strictly pod and worm/bug hunters however they can’t decimate a population like a mandarin can. These guys can wait for their next meal, a mandarin can’t.

Halichoeres won’t often go after Cleaner Shrimp, Boxer Shrimp or Pistol Shrimp however they can go after the thin shelled snails and crabs. They do a perfect job at hunting for pests like flatworms, bristleworms, young bobbitworms, monti bugs ect. The smaller species that max out at around 4-5 inch shouldn’t touch the larger shrimp or crabs you may want.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I have a 220G and 12 fish and a lack of poop nutrients. The fish I want are not available as I want. I want a male/female pair of Macropharyngodon Bipartatus. They have a female. I want a 10cm Hepatus. Only babies or fish returned for outgrowing their tanks with holes in the head scarring. I'm a bit stumped after that for what's next.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how badly I want a Regal Angel but the coral collection is just too expensive to risk the slightest nipping.

I'll probably put a Hepatus and Leucosternon at the same time. That will make 6 tangs and 8 minor fish. This is the current population.

Naso elegans
Zebrasoma Xanthurum
Zebrasoma Flavescens
Acanthurus Japonicus
1 male 2 female Anthias squamipinnis
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura
Flame hawkish
Possum wrasse yellow bands (wonderful!)
Dimitiatus cleaner wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how badly I want a Regal Angel but the coral collection is just too expensive to risk the slightest nipping.

I'll probably put a Hepatus and Leucosternon at the same time. That will make 6 tangs and 8 minor fish. This is the current population.

Naso elegans
Zebrasoma Xanthurum
Zebrasoma Flavescens
Acanthurus Japonicus
1 male 2 female Anthias squamipinnis
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura
Flame hawkish
Possum wrasse yellow bands (wonderful!)
Dimitiatus cleaner wrasse
I would be cautious when introducing the Leucosternon to an established Japonicus. These two are of the same Complex (The “Powder” Tangs) and so will most likely push more aggression onto eachother upon introduction.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love an angel if I could guarantee they would leave my corals alone.
Hunt down a deeper water species of Genicanthus, a couple of good ones for being reef safe are Melanospilos and Semifasciatus

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. I’m too much of a fish lover over a coral lover and I’d rather plan the corals around the fish than the other way around.

Some Centropyge angels have generally good records, as well as Genicanthus which are plankton eaters primarily. A good choice would be something like a Biota Coral Beauty for Centropyge.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a medium small adult hepatus and the female macropharyngodon bipartatus today. They are acclimating, almost ready to go in. Two clams too. They are dripping. Then some clean up crew. Some little red hermits, mythrax, wurdinamis, and a really pretty small purple urchin pseudoboletia genus. Its time to net some animals.

Back