2019 Frag Farmer's Market Thread!

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is, the official announcement for the biggest coral swap in the universe (at least it feels that way for me...). I have a great list of coral farmer's lined up for the 2019 FFM, including a few new additions! It looks to be another amazing year for the FFM! I'll post more info here as the weeks go on!
I have to get back to work on it!
See you all in March-
Jon

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got word that Caribsea will be supplying the water for the Frag Farmer's Market again. With 60+ coral vendors, all wanting just a little water, that is no small thing! Thanks to Betsey and the crew down at Caribsea for helping out again this year, and for their continued support of the E.O. Smith Coral Project!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is always agreat show and the money goes to a great cause, supporting the classrom aquatic systems and scholarships for Jon’s students.

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good word! I have also started to help out other schools in the area that need stuff to get started with similar programs. I have helped out 5 different programs so far with plans to help out more moving forward!

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, lets start with some of the FFM announcements!!!

This year, we are going to host something different at the FFM- a celebrity painting session! At 1pm, in one of the classrooms, Rachel Fogle of Reef Weeds is going to be running a painting session for people to come in and do a Zoanthid painting with her. Her paintings are featured all over including on Marine Depot and Amazon! Its like a "Paint and Sip" but without the sip (sorry, it is a school...). You will spend an hour or so with Rachel, painting and at the end of the day, get to take ...your painting home! It's a great chance to have some fun, spend some time with Rachel, and learn a little painting. It would be great way to spend an hour at the FFM for any frustrated artists, bored spouses, etc... Best part- it's free! I only have space, and materials, for 18 people to come paint with Rachel, so the first 18 people who email me at [email protected] will get a spot. I will make a wait list after that.

*We were really thinking of this for adults. Kids are welcome but any kids under 12 must have an adult painting with them.

wlj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This swap was definitely worth the 5 hour drive!! Great show.

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good word! I really appreciate you coming all that way and I'm glad you enjoy the FFM! Spread the word out your way and bring a carful!

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been to this show before. Maybe someone can give me some input. Like..

What time is best to arrive?
What should I bring with me or maybe a good idea to bring?
Cash only??
Are there things for the kids (around 6 years of age)?
Is my non hobbyist wife going to be board out of her mind?
Should we eat before we come? or?
Or anything else you'd like to share would be appreciated ! :D

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best time to arrive really depends on your purchasing habits and goals if you aren't able to stay for the entire show. It also depends on your abilty to deal with crowds.

If you are looking for high end show pieces, early is best. If you are looking for killer deals, later is best. You can frequently buy tanks, pumps, and lighting for half price when vendors don't want to drag equipment home. The auction happens at the end of the show.

Snacks and drinks would be good to bring. There are restaraunts across the street. It may be good to send the wife and kids for food if you think they will get bored. There are things like the Rachel Fogel's painting class this year, which you need to pre-register for, though that isn't really intended for kids. Not sure what there is to do for kids.

A cooler of somesort would be good for traveling back home. There is a coat/cooler check so you don't have to drag your cooler around slamming it into people the entire time (some people seem to prefer the knocking people around with their cooler option).

Most vendors are cash only. Some will take PayPal, venmo, etc. Some of the commercial shops can take cards. There are a lot of hobbiests Running tables, most of whom are cash only.

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Skydvr! Lets see what I can add...
What time is best to arrive?
-Well said Skydvr. There are advantages to both. If you aren't worried about the best high end piece at the show, mid day is usually best. Come walk around for a bit, then go grab a bite across the street and come back for the end and the raffle at 4pm.

What should I bring with me or maybe a good idea to bring?
-Bring a small cooler and check it at the cooler check station (Yes, we are going to do it again!) You can come back at any point and give them your ticket to get your cooler to put stuff in it.

Cash only??
-Yes and no. Some vendors take CC, but they ALL take cash. There is an ATM across the street for when you need more. One thing people always say is "I wish I brought more $" Imagine how much money you bring to a really great LFS... Now imagine if there were 60+ of them all in one location. See where I'm going here? Its a once a year chance to get GREAT deals on corals, fish, gear, etc...

Are there things for the kids (around 6 years of age)?
-Kinda… The corals/fish/etc.. will keep a kid interested for quite a while but maybe not as long as you want to look around. I am going to add a scavenger hunt for kids, which would be perfect for your wife to take your kids on. I am working out the details but will post them when I get it all lined up!

Is my non hobbyist wife going to be board out of her mind?
-At some point probably. There is a TON to see but if she isn't into corals, she might get a little bored. It is inevitable that you are going to want to spend longer than her looking around. You could send her off to look around across the street, or off to the UConn Dairy Bar for ice cream? Good for the kids too!

Should we eat before we come? or?
-There is a HUGE variety of places across the street, most of which are really good! I always suggest that you take a walk across when you need a break and grab a bite at one of the places. If you need a suggestion, stop by room 107 and see me, Jon!

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 2019-2020 FFM Coral Topiary Contest!​

Jon Simmons from Boston Aqua Farms is in the process of custom making me 50 of these Moai (~4" tall) to send home with 50 different people at the FFM this year. Your challenge is to take the Moai home and turn it into something amazing by growing coral, sponges, anemones, whatever on it in your reef. As it progresses over the year, post your best pictures in the CT Frag Farmer's Market group on FB, to show your work. One week before next year's FFM (which will be on 3/7/20), we (my students and I) will look through all of the images from the year and pick the best, most creative, Moai topiary. The winner will receive a $50 FFM Gift Certificate for the 2020 FFM, and a Boston Aqua Farms fragging prize package. Thanks to Jon for agreeing to help out with this.

"Official" Rules:
-Email me at [email protected] to get your name on the list to be one of the 50 people to take one home - first emailed, first in
-Only one Moai per person
-Must be picked up at the 2019 FFM
-The Moai must be added to a saltwater tank (no cactus Moai, painted Moai, etc...)
-Photos must be of the actual Moai in a tank, not photoshopped

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was just trying to keep it all in one place to make it easier to keep organized but I understand. If you don't want to do the FB part, email me to get in and you can email me pics as you grow it out. Could I post them for you?

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few other people have asked me if they can grab a Moai but not have to do the Facebook aspect of it. Being someone who is not all that FB connected (I only use it for the FFM and reef related things), I understand. If people would like to do the Moai contest, but not have to join or post on FB, that works for me. I just ask that you do me a favor and email me the pics, or PM them on the forum, so I can post them up for people to see. Hopefully that works!

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the vendor list for the 2019 FFM...

Corals + Livestock
AC Corals
Alex's Advanced Aquatics
Aquatic Creations
Aquadreams
RozArt Corals
AZNnutty's Saltwater Connections
Blake's Aquaden
Blastomaster
Blue View Aquatics
Cheesy Corals
Coralcruze
Koral Craze
Coral Reef Connection
Covey's Coral Cove
Credable Coral Labs
Cully's Corals
DBReef
Dr. Salomon Corals
E.O. Smith Coral Project
Elmafioso52988
Exotic Fish and Corals
Fish Ninja
Frank180Reef
FUPA
Greg Demos - Aquacultured Acropora
Greg Hiller
Greg's Corals
Rick Correira
Headie Corals
Jason Foxx
King Pin Coral
Kwong1998
Back Woods Reefs
Manny Cabral
Marine Science Magnet School
Matt Spaulding
Mike Herbas
Micheal Reeve (Underwater Bliss)
Tidal Wave Aquatics
Mod Corals
Mocorals
No Comp Clowns
NY Coral King
Ocean State Aquatics
Pablo
Pacific East Aquaculture
Paulywalnuts
Pieces of the Ocean
Pop Corals
Reef Creations
Reef Junkies
Reef Shine Guys
Reef Trends
Rich Beck Jr.
Rick W.
RTMA Corals
Rudy Batara
School of Fish
Roaming Reefer
SickNTwisted Corals
Son and Sand
SteelerMike
Supreme Reefs
Talon's Cove
Tank Breakers
Tidal Wave Aquatics
The Reef Shoppe
TJM Corals
Triggreef
TSM Corals
Ultimate Corals
Usctom
Wet Pets
Zooanthids.com

Clubs
Boston Reefers
CTARS
LIRA
NY Reefs

Schools
Hall High School
Natchaug Elementary School
Marine Science Magnet School

“Dry Goods” CompaniesAgcore Technologies
Brightwell
Caribsea
Cobalt Aquatics
Colchester Pet
Credible Coral Labs Art
Dirks
Fritz
GHL
Kimmies Cupcakes
Mike's Phyto
Monti Caps
Mystic Aquarium
Neptune Systems
Polyp Labs
Quality Marine
Reef Breeders
Reef Nutrition
Reef Rax
Reef Shine
Reef Trends
Reef Weeds
Rock Hard Reefs
Sea Chem
Tropic Marin

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back