202s vs 200int reef octo

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the reef octopus 200int and it’s a tight fit and seems bulky. Should I get the 202s? It’s a little more expensive but I just want the better skimmer. Is the 202s just more expensive because it’s compact or does it skim better? The 200int has a much bigger bubble chamber wouldn’t that be better? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really loving this skimmer so far it’s already producing skim! I noticed that on the 202s it seems to have a smaller bubble plate and it doesn’t show that it has a bubble defusion chamber like the 200int I purchased. The pump being on the outside leaves more room for bubbles which should mean it’s really the better skimmer right? The skimmers are nearly identical besides a few small things and the pump being inside on one. If I can make do with the extrernal pump will I get a bigger bioload skimmed I guess is my main question.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know anything about those skimmers specifically, but generally speaking, more reaction chamber size is better. Internal pumps take away this room. Bubble plates are worthless and many of the best skimmers do not have them. RO is a solid, good skimmer, but I would not call any of them great since they got away from the Sicce Pumps. You could do a lot worse. To do a lot better, you would likely need more room.

All of this said, if the pump and body do not match up, then the skimmer will not skim. Choosing a skimmer with a good track record is perhaps the most important thing... people think that they are upgrading with a new skimmer often to find that a new brand or model is not as good as their old one.

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the reef octopus 200int and it’s a tight fit and seems bulky. Should I get the 202s? It’s a little more expensive but I just want the better skimmer. Is the 202s just more expensive because it’s compact or does it skim better? The 200int has a much bigger bubble chamber wouldn’t that be better? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Wow you really can’t go wrong with either! I suppose it’s a matter of personal choice? I’m kind of old school so I’m a fan of the 200int, but maintenance wise and If your tight on room, the 202s would be a bit better”FIT” lol :p:D

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you really can’t go wrong with either! I suppose it’s a matter of personal choice? I’m kind of old school so I’m a fan of the 200int, but maintenance wise and If your tight on room, the 202s would be a bit better”FIT” lol :p:D
Does how “tight” a skimmer fits affect performance?

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate it! I think I’ll stick with the 200int I just got I think the pump being outside just gives more room to inside the chamber to do its job was just wondering why the 202s was so much more. Just the space saving aspect? Either way thank you for your response!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back