Drill?

• Total voters

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I want some opinions on this. I have a 20 gallon high tank that I want to make into a seahorse tank and was wondering if it should be drilled or not? If I don’t, I was just going to use a in tank nano skimmer or a hob filter with some media like carbon, gfo, and filter floss.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience in the seahorse department. Your question might be seen and answered quicker in the seahorse/pipefish thread. Let's see if one of the #MODS can move it over for you. :)

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon tanks use pretty thin glass. Drilling them may prove to be pretty tough. I've drilled a few 20 and 10 gallons with a few failures bc when that second when the bit gets through the glass the weight of the drill is too much and itll crack/chip out the circle instead of cutting through it and that usually causes the pane to crack bc of how thin it is.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon tanks use pretty thin glass. Drilling them may prove to be pretty tough. I've drilled a few 20 and 10 gallons with a few failures bc when that second when the bit gets through the glass the weight of the drill is too much and itll crack/chip out the circle instead of cutting through it and that usually causes the pane to crack bc of how thin it is.

ya I’ve actually heard that before. I don’t want to drill, if I don’t have to. What do you recommend for hanging filtration? I’ve seen so many people have hob filters only, in tank skimmer only, placing algae inside tank, etc

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya I’ve actually heard that before. I don’t want to drill, if I don’t have to. What do you recommend for hanging filtration? I’ve seen so many people have hob filters only, in tank skimmer only, placing algae inside tank, etc
I just use an aquaclear filter with chaeto and ceramic media in it. My only form of mechanical filtration is a skimmer in my 20

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly hate HOB stuff, so I wouldn't be a good person to ask that lol. Maybe find a used acrylic tank? This way you can drill it and not worry...

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping you reconsider putting ANY seahorses in a tank that small. It's MUCH too large for dwarf seahorses, and much too small for standard sized seahorses.
Seahorses are MUCH more susceptible to bacterial diseases that any other marine fish that I've come across over the last 26 yrs and in a tank that small, the water quality is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain sufficient to try to prevent a bacterial problem from occurring.
THERE ARE NO TEST KITS available to the hobbyist that can tell you just WHEN the water is reaching the point of bacterial expansion so it's a case of extreme husbandry/water changes coupled with lower temperatures needed to be pro-active rather than re-active.
Can it be done? Yes! However many seahorses die in the attempts to do so.
As the condition cannot be measured, hobbyists don't realize the water quality is degrading and so over time, while the hobbyist feels everything is OK, suddenly bacterial lesions or internal organ failure occurs and the hobbyist begins looking for what they have done recently to cause it. Unfortunately it wasn't a recent occurrence so many times the hobbyist ends up NOT correcting the problem and it may repeat itself down the road again.
Some may start off with good intentions to do what IS required to maintain that size tank, but many, being human, gradually slack off here or there and eventually the seahorses are the ones to pay the price.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with rayjay that a pair of seahorses should not be kept in an aquarium smaller than 30 gallons (and seahorses are social animals that do better with more than just 1). In fact for a person just getting into their first experience with seahorses, even more than 30 gallons may be a good idea until they understand just how vulnerable seahorses are to bacterial infections and other maladies. They are not difficult to keep but they have certain requirements that must be attended to or the keeper will not have much success with them. The stickies in this topic have a lot of good info that can help you understand their special needs.

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with rayjay that a pair of seahorses should not be kept in an aquarium smaller than 30 gallons (and seahorses are social animals that do better with more than just 1). In fact for a person just getting into their first experience with seahorses, even more than 30 gallons may be a good idea until they understand just how vulnerable seahorses are to bacterial infections and other maladies. They are not difficult to keep but they have certain requirements that must be attended to or the keeper will not have much success with them. The stickies in this topic have a lot of good info that can help you understand their special needs.
Where do you find the ‘stickie’ on this topic?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
katonge, The "sticky threads" are the 12 posts directly above the "thread" section that you just posted in. It's all under the seahorse/pipefish heading. As for which ones specifically deal with tank volume, I do not know offhand ones that specify volume but I remember KSA #1 for sure mentions height of tank recommendations.
When I first entered the seahorse keeping hobby back in 2002, the recs were for 30g for the first pair and 15g for each additional pair. Since then we have learned it's best still for 30g for the first pair but better to have 25-30g for each additional pair. The old recommendations can be found on seahorse.org in the library section.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was only going to keep them in there for a little while, until my 40 gallon tank was free. That 40 gallon is being moved into a bigger thank.

But it’s all good, I am not going to set up the 20 g rn.

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
katonge, The "sticky threads" are the 12 posts directly above the "thread" section that you just posted in. It's all under the seahorse/pipefish heading. As for which ones specifically deal with tank volume, I do not know offhand ones that specify volume but I remember KSA #1 for sure mentions height of tank recommendations.
When I first entered the seahorse keeping hobby back in 2002, the recs were for 30g for the first pair and 15g for each additional pair. Since then we have learned it's best still for 30g for the first pair but better to have 25-30g for each additional pair. The old recommendations can be found on seahorse.org in the library section.
Thanks! Found them.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I want some opinions on this. I have a 20 gallon high tank that I want to make into a seahorse tank and was wondering if it should be drilled or not? If I don’t, I was just going to use a in tank nano skimmer or a hob filter with some media like carbon, gfo, and filter floss.
I’ve read all comments about ur question and agree with some but mostly disagree on most said. I have 20gal tank with ten seahorses in it 4 larger 3 medium 3 small and have had 2 yrs success

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with 17 yrs of keeping and breeding seahorses, you'll have to forgive me if I'm not really believing of your story.
I've never heard of anyone succeeding long term in those years with what you describe.
Although you DON'T say anything about your setup and your maintenance/husbandry protocols, I know what it would take to actually BE successful with those numbers for 2 years and I know VERY FEW people who would keep up with what is needed for that long. While it IS possible, it IS really improbable.
Also, with 3 medium and 3 small, you haven't had them all for two years at this point.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with 17 yrs of keeping and breeding seahorses, you'll have to forgive me if I'm not really believing of your story.
I've never heard of anyone succeeding long term in those years with what you describe.
Although you DON'T say anything about your setup and your maintenance/husbandry protocols, I know what it would take to actually BE successful with those numbers for 2 years and I know VERY FEW people who would keep up with what is needed for that long. While it IS possible, it IS really improbable.
Also, with 3 medium and 3 small, you haven't had them all for two years at this point.
I have two set ups each is a twenty gallon and each has 10 seahorses in it. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear I mean to say I’ve been collecting horses for 2yrs not that I had all 20 for two years. As for care I’m EXTREMELY anal clean all time complete water changes every 6 to 7 weeks NEVER any longer than that. My tanks r crystal clear and ALL my seahorses r healthy n happy I have couple pics on media forum. Also I have had some bad mishaps but learned from it. In all time I have had 3 deaths which brought tear to my eye. I truly love my seahorses. Plus great hobby for my OCD

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two set ups each is a twenty gallon and each has 10 seahorses in it. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear I mean to say I’ve been collecting horses for 2yrs not that I had all 20 for two years. As for care I’m EXTREMELY anal clean all time complete water changes every 6 to 7 weeks NEVER any longer than that. My tanks r crystal clear and ALL my seahorses r healthy n happy I have couple pics on media forum. Also I have had some bad mishaps but learned from it. In all time I have had 3 deaths which brought tear to my eye. I truly love my seahorses. Plus great hobby for my OCD
My tanks r from Walmart they r 20gal each but I brought 2 filters for a 30 to 40 gal tank and use them instead plus change cartridges in filter every 10 days. Basically use 3 months of cartridges in one month. It’s worth all work for the peace they bring me

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back