20g Long DIY AIO

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to start this out. I've been in the freshwater planted tank world for many years, have had a wide range of tanks and set ups. Reefing has always been the "ultimate" result of the hobby for me. So despite my better judgement, I've decided to go with a nano reef as my first attempt, not only that but I'm going to DIY as much as possible. I'll document my progress here for anyone interested in following along.

This will be a "peninsula" tank placed between our kitchen and living room. Side note, at some point I'd love to put a custom built 6ft acrylic tank across this entire area and have a true show piece...one step at a time.

Started out with a 20g long from Petco ($1/gallon). Derimmed it very carefully, cleaned up the silicone, wet sanded the edges from 800 to 1500 grit. To hopefully put the uncertainty of derimming standard tanks to rest I did a very simple 2" euro brace setup with 1/8" glass from a local stained glass shop. Only geing a 20g long, I think it'll have plenty of strength.

Since it'll be a peninsula tank, the back end will be a fully enclosed "AIO" style compartment with 1/4" black acrylic. Have an Aquatic Life 115 skimmer and Aqueon Pro heater in the first chamber, will overflow (set the display water height) into the middle chamber where the mechanical and chemical filtration will reside. The middle will only be about 2" wide, but it's 12" deep which should allow for pretty good contact time with the media. I could really use some suggestions on chemical media, way too many choices. This will then have a 1" gap at the bottom to feed into the bottom of the 3rd chamber which has a cheapo 400gph (ha, yeah right...) return pump and DIY ATO sensors and temp probe. Pump will output to a duckbill screwed into the acrylic. Depending on the actual flow of this pump, I'll likely add a powerhead to the display to fine tune the flow.

I'll be using live rock and aragonite for the substrate. For lighting I'm contemplating going with the full DIY LED route, but I may just go with a chinese 165w black box for now and then spend some time fine tuning the diodes, etc as time permits.

Haven't nailed down the stocking yet, but I have plenty of time to decide.
20180429_092948.jpg
20180429_093018.jpg
20180429_092938.jpg
20180429_160405.jpg
20180429_160420.jpg

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! What are you going to use as a media basket for that center chamber? As far as media to use personally I would start with a small bag of chemipure and change depending on the needs of the tank.

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! What are you going to use as a media basket for that center chamber? As far as media to use personally I would start with a small bag of chemipure and change depending on the needs of the tank.

Thanks! It's still early, but much of the parts are on order so it'll progress rather quickly I think.

Oh yeah, forgot the media basket. I'm going to get some 1/8" acrylic and bend up a u-shaped basket with little 1/4" legs on the top to rest on the dividers. Drill some holes or slot the bottom of the basket for water flow. I'll probably drop a handful of seachem matrix in the bottom, then a bag of chemical (thank you for the Chemipure suggestion!) and then top it with a small sponge for mechanical and as well as quiet down the 1" overflow.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I got about as far in designing an aio a few months ago. Ended up going a different route. The urge to try my hand at it is still there though lol. You have any thoughts on an overflow directly to the return chamber in case the media basket clogs? Maybe just a notch at the top of the divider?

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I got about as far in designing an aio a few months ago. Ended up going a different route. The urge to try my hand at it is still there though lol. You have any thoughts on an overflow directly to the return chamber in case the media basket clogs? Maybe just a notch at the top of the divider?

That's an excellent idea, I didn't plan on taking the divider between chamber 2 and 3 all the way to the rim, so there should be about a half inch of overflow insurance but a few small slots couldn't hurt either.

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test complete and successful, tested with straight edge and absolutely no bowing as expected. Acrylic showed up yesterday and the Weld-on 4 cement is coming today. I'm glad I had to wait for shipping, gave me time to think about my "sump" compartment layout a bit more.

Changed it up to put the mechanical and chemical filtration in chamber 1 with a slotted bottom to that chamber about 8-9" down (or 3" from bottom) so I can reach in and grab whatever needs changing. I have about 1.5" of space between the divider and the euro brace, not a lot but just enough to fit my hand.

Water then flows under the 1 to 2 chamber divider and into some live rock rubble and then into the skimmer. Which depending on how effective this cheapo skimmer is, I'm leaving myself room to use this space as a little refugium instead.

Then water will flow over the top of the 2 to 3 chamber divider which effectively sets the display tank water level. Chamber 3 will be a little crowded, but such is life, I think it'll be fine.

Here's a diagram I put together to help me conceptualize before I start cutting acrylic. I'll probably mock it up with cardboard first, just to be sure my dimensions and assumptions are accurate.

filter-01-01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along... mocked up in cardboard and then got it done in the 1/4" acrylic. Came out a bit short on the scrap, so had to piece together the "media basket" but the ugly part will be covered up.

20180505_104748.jpg
20180507_194747.jpg

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Your right that is a bit of a tight squeeze for that media chamber. I have fat hands and would have to make it bigger lol. I like how you did the basket. Have you considered using magnets to hold the protein skimmer? May be easier for maintenance and I haven’t met a suction cup yet that won’t eventually fail.

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Your right that is a bit of a tight squeeze for that media chamber. I have fat hands and would have to make it bigger lol. I like how you did the basket. Have you considered using magnets to hold the protein skimmer? May be easier for maintenance and I haven’t met a suction cup yet that won’t eventually fail.

Thanks, it's getting close...just a bit of clean up on the sharp edges then I can silicone it in place and fill her up. Good idea on the magnets, so would you suggest using epoxy to attach to the skimmer bracket?

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gel superglue. It’s cheap and reef safe! Be sure you get magnets that are reef safe too. Raw magnets will deteriorate is salt water. I use neodymium magnets set in epoxy. I think brs might sell some.

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is set up and cycling. The water was a little cloudy for the first few days. Photo is right after filling it. That Aquatic Life skimmer is a piece of junk, so the middle chamber will be a mini fuge or possibly set up a mini reactor. With the water change schedule I have planned, I doubt I'd really "need" either. This will probably be my last update, seems there is little interest in the build...beside at this point it'll sit for about a month then a few fish and some frags, nothing that'll blow the socks off.

20180517_192354.jpg

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep updating! Great to keep track of your own work and I liked the read. Never seen a rimmed tank turned into that. Very nice

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to see the results in few months myself. If you do decide you need a skimmer the reef glass skimmer is suprisingly effective. Though it will stick out the top a little. I used one on my 36 bow front sumpless. Post some pics when you add stuff!

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank cycled last week, decided to rework the filter compartment and remove the euro bracing before stocking it. Wasn't getting the flow I wanted and the bracing was limiting my options.
20180610_112956.jpg
20180610_113047.jpg
20180610_113059.jpg

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man. I was wondering how that brace was going to work out. Thats quite a bit different! What a pain to have to redo that whole thing but better now than later. Nice media basket. Looks like a good setup to me!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back