OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever get that skimmer to do much? I know some have to break in for a bit.

I ended up sending the Aquatic Life 115 back, it just poured out microbubbles for weeks, never broke in and could see where the bubbles were escaping from the poorly fit clamshell. I'm now breaking in a Hydor Slim Skim Nano, I've just hit 2 weeks running and the microbubbles are starting to lessen, hopefully another week and it'll be totally clear. Since there hasn't been any stocking, it's hard to tell what kind of skimmate I'll get from it, now it just lightly fizzes or if I turn up the air it overflows. Will need to fine tune it once there is something in the water to skim.

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some life in this tank! Got a pair of what the fish store called Mocha Clownfish, we'll see if they stay this dark as they get older. Also picked up a Hammer Coral frag, was quite upset after the dip but has come back to it's fish store glory.

20180617_115020.jpg
20180617_150552.jpg
20180617_110944.jpg
20180617_110934.jpg

OP
OP
ParsedOut

ParsedOut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I have been eyeballing a hammer coral myself lately. Looks good! You happier with the new filter layout?

Thanks! Much happier, the Hydor skimmer has stopped with the microbubbles so I can't complain about that. A lot more media space and better access to everything. This is project is finally ready to go into stocking and maintenance mode.

Yikesdoris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is set up and cycling. The water was a little cloudy for the first few days. Photo is right after filling it. That Aquatic Life skimmer is a piece of junk, so the middle chamber will be a mini fuge or possibly set up a mini reactor. With the water change schedule I have planned, I doubt I'd really "need" either. This will probably be my last update, seems there is little interest in the build...beside at this point it'll sit for about a month then a few fish and some frags, nothing that'll blow the socks off.

20180517_192354.jpg
hey dude veery interesting build and plenty ideas to follow , keep up the good work and post some pics please of the final results, really looking forward to that

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back