20g long frag tank

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son (11yo) is getting interested in the hobby and is wanting to set up a small frag tank. We currently have a 81g (36x24x22) mixed reef thats been running great. Im looking for something cheapish and easy to take care of for him. 20g long for tank, not sure how to filter it? Maybe some type of HOB? Also thought about adding marine pure bricks for bio filtration. Maybe an ai prime for light, and I also have a tunxe 9004 skimmer I can throw in it. Thinking to start with mainly zoa's and shrooms to start and maybe a few small utilitarian fish (6 line, algae blenny, any other ideas here?) And a small CUC. Let me know if I missing anything!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son (11yo) is getting interested in the hobby and is wanting to set up a small frag tank. We currently have a 81g (36x24x22) mixed reef thats been running great. Im looking for something cheapish and easy to take care of for him. 20g long for tank, not sure how to filter it? Maybe some type of HOB? Also thought about adding marine pure bricks for bio filtration. Maybe an ai prime for light, and I also have a tunxe 9004 skimmer I can throw in it. Thinking to start with mainly zoa's and shrooms to start and maybe a few small utilitarian fish (6 line, algae blenny, any other ideas here?) And a small CUC. Let me know if I missing anything!

Heater and a ATO would be helpful. Should work.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea of course a heater and ato.nwhat about filtrations for the tank? Would a job filter work, or maybe some kind of aio kit?

Well, for biological filtration, a couple pieces of live rock would act as hiding spots for fish and keep the bacterial strains going that the corals and fish need, but if used as a coral quarantine tank, treating the tank for pests would be better with a HOB filter. The later it would necessary to remove the fish for treatment because of the meds.

So, there's a couple ways to approach this.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily looking for a coral qt, just a place to grow out some shrooms and zoa's he can learn to frag and trade. But I know he would like a few fish as well in the tank.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. If you're at all handy making up a baffle to turn it into an AIO is pretty easy. Especially if you happen to have a table saw (for the weir). If it were me I would turn that 20 long into a peninsula AIO and use live rock as bio-filtration. The plan you mentioned sounds good to me. If you're not into building the baffle I'm sure you could buy some kit. Or even just forgo mechanical filtration and just run the skimmer. You can always use the powerhead+water bottle filter trick for mechanical filtration after water changes. Leave it in for an hour or so then remove it. That's what I've been doing on a 10 gallon frag system for a couple years now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily looking for a coral qt, just a place to grow out some shrooms and zoa's he can learn to frag and trade. But I know he would like a few fish as well in the tank.

Then I would place some pieces of mature live rock in there for the biological filtration.

It's not much different that the old school " Berlin method" minus sand.

unnamed.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree w all above live rock,skimmer,hob for media would be fine

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
whisper dual,#2 choice penguin dual

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji Cube makes a kit to turn a 20L into an AIO. It may be worth looking into.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji Cube makes a kit to turn a 20L into an AIO. It may be worth looking into.

Thank I was definitely looking in to that. Maybe that would be the best way to go.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank I was definitely looking in to that. Maybe that would be the best way to go.
I think the 10 kit is what I’m going to use for my Coral QT tank soon. Going to do my best to QT all corals for 76 days and keep any diseases out of my DT

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a MarineLand Penguin 350 my 20 gallon long. I've removed the filter pads/bio wheels and use it basically as an refugium. Each side contains biopellets, ceramic rings, and chaeto. I do a 50% water change at least every other week. It's working well.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a MarineLand Penguin 350 my 20 gallon long. I've removed the filter pads/bio wheels and use it basically as an refugium. Each side contains biopellets, ceramic rings, and chaeto. I do a 50% water change at least every other week. It's working well.
Thanks I'll look into that one as well. I plan to do 5g weekly water changes to keep up on elements. With just zoa's and mushrooms I shouldn't have to dose anything I'm hoping.

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nlutfi What did you end up going with? I also have a basic 20g long I'm wanting to set up as a frag tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back