20g Long Lighting | 100$-200$

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys! I just posted about a week ago about setting up a 20g long. Original I was on a budget because I had lost my job, BUT I just landed an interview and as it is just a local coffee shop I am assuming I will be getting the job. Since I will be working again soon my budget has just opened up a lot more! So, what kind of lighting would you guys recommend for a 20g long thats a bit more bang for your buck? I know the titles say 100-200$ but I am open to any lights that aren't too expensive.

Thanks to anyone who posts!

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to keep coral? If so what type? That will give us an idea for advice

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to keep coral? If so what type? That will give us an idea for advice
Money is more important to me so I would rather buy a light and do coral/anemone around the light. Nothing crazy as this is my first tank so anemone is probably something I will be looking at in a few months but I am interested in doing coral right off the bat.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemmies and anything that take as much light as them won't be for a long while. Unless you wanna spend time killing them.

Lps and softies can grow under current usa lights. Gotta be real specific with placement though. 100-200 isn't much for lighting tbh. But can make it work with some lps and most softies.

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my 20g Long under a single 165w viparspectra. Those cheap ones from amazon. It's currently set at 35% blues only and growing softies and LPS like crazy. Mine was just a project I threw together with extra stuff I had laying around my fish room. If you want the best bang for your buck, spend $208 on a AI Prime 16HD. Of course you'll have to get the mounting hardware separate.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval sea 24” light on a 20g, it’s been supporting a toadstool, zoas, and cyphastrea for a year now. I think I paid around $150.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my 20g Long under a single 165w viparspectra. Those cheap ones from amazon. It's currently set at 35% blues only and growing softies and LPS like crazy. Mine was just a project I threw together with extra stuff I had laying around my fish room. If you want the best bang for your buck, spend $208 on a AI Prime 16HD. Of course you'll have to get the mounting hardware separate.
I will for sure look into those 2 more. I had already looked at getting the Wills 165w Black Box. I plan to get an industrial shelving unit from Home Depot 2 to hold my 55g and 20g so hopefully, I can just strap whatever I end up getting on the wired shelves to reduce the price of a gooseneck or arm.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the info.

Keep in mind those are all fine with low light. You aren't gonna be able to have anything that wants intense light with that, unless you place it inches from the surface....

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viperspectra.

I have a Reefbreeders V1 over mine and if you mount it high enough it is fine. I started with soft corals and then added a Monti cap and a Bubblegum digi.

If you are on a limited budget look at used equipment. I bought my Reefbreeders for half of what it cost new and have used it for many years.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box is your best bet with that budget to be honest. Nothing wrong with that either I have used many different lights and viparspectra is worth every penny. I currently run noopsyche and that would be in your budget as well.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a used high end light. I have my reefbreeder photon v2 that retails for 699 i got here for 550 deals can be found. If you get a high end light you and your coral nemmie will be alot happier

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I use on my 20l and grows anything you would want. I use ATI bulbs

Attachments

• 20210102_185229.jpg
    20210102_185229.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind those are all fine with low light. You aren't gonna be able to have anything that wants intense light with that, unless you place it inches from the surface....
It probably will be as I am going to be using an industrial shelving unit so I will be mounting the light RIGHT on top.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box is your best bet with that budget to be honest. Nothing wrong with that either I have used many different lights and viparspectra is worth every penny. I currently run noopsyche and that would be in your budget as well.
Someone I am talking to is selling an old marswell black box for 60 so I might look into that. Save a bit of cash and start saving for a nicer 400$ light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back