20g long urchin pad/murder mangrove/home for displaced corals; and 50g macro/gorg scape

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is the 50g. It is a standard Aqueon + the stand it came with. Only been running for 1.5 months? most everything inside upgraded from a 25g, so it is still filling in and coping with some mild diatoms. Mix of live rock I had on hand and some dry pieces. My intention for this build is gorgonian and macroalgae focused, with softies.

Filters: two Tidal 75s
Lighting: Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Heater: Eheim Jager, maybe 100W.
Additional flow achieved with an Ecotech wave maker.

It houses assorted octocorals, such as a corky finger colony, purple sea feather, purple plume, spiny orange, yellow sea whip, and a small hitchhiking gorg I haven't ID'd yet. I am stocked a little heavily, intentionally: fancy ocellaris clown pair (Pele, the female, loves to nip me...); Eddy the female Valentini puffer, Spock the Gramma (I suspect Brazilian), Leopold the Lubbock's wrasse, and Pudge the pink-streaked wrasse.

So far I've collected various macro species -- c. prolifera, c. cupressoides, botryocladia, tiny clump of random ulva, c. barbata (melted upon introduction but I am hoping it re-appears), codium, Hypnea pannosa, Halymenia durvillei, Gracilaria, and some other specimens. There is a delicate, green, and apparently invasive species in here that I adore but cannot remember the name at the moment. It is doing a grand job colonizing my filter and the back glass. I had/have either c. sertulariodes that I don't allow to grow in here any more, as it has sporulated on me twice now (despite me trimming it, dosing, and watching nutrients). Royal pain in the neck.

I strung up some mesh along part of the back and have been encouraging the caulerpa to climb over it. Seems to be working.

This tank grows coralline like a beast! I struggle to keep it off the front glass, but am allowing some algae of various sorts to coat the side panels for my microfauna (whatever escapes the wrasses and Eddy, anyway).

Forgive the photo quality, for my phone is elderly. I'm also in the process of cutting acrylic lids today.

IMG_9695.jpeg

IMG_9663.jpeg

IMG_9696.jpeg

IMG_9698.jpeg

IMG_9699.jpeg

IMG_9701.jpeg

IMG_9706.jpeg

IMG_9660.jpeg

IMG_9665.jpeg

Spock is such a weirdo.
IMG_9667.jpeg

IMG_9708.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some rock flower nems to the 20 :) I love them already. The biggest is your standard zebra...s/he climbed all the way to that spot over the course of a few hours and seems pretty content now. There a few smaller ones I got on sale at Salt Critters, but nothing larger than a quarter.
IMG_9753.jpeg

Tank after a water change. Some darker maroon coralline popping up, which I don't have in the other tank. Also patches of hair algae/noms for Ivan.
No idea what I'm gonna do about the random clump of chaeto.
Rock scape is a bit clunky, mainly cuz I had to cram an entire other rock in there to save the corals from Eddy. It's cool, there is a neat cove/cave now on the right hand side. Ivan is currently shoved in there.

IMG_9752.jpeg

Buttercup-yellow tunicates and fluffy cotton candy algae.

IMG_9761.jpeg

Can't wait til the newer rocks in the 50 get a bit more color. The caulerpa is growing in healthily, and the ochtodes especially seem to like where they are planted. This is post WC so some of the gorgs are still re-opening.

Trying to figure out where the botryocladia prefers. Also considering what to glue on the fake magnetic rock on the back glass so it is a little less jarring. That thing has some small dots of coralline, but it will be a while until the weird gray is dampened.

IMG_9767.jpeg

Knabbed a yellow leather, as well as more Sinularia and two Palythoa Grandis polyps (not pictured, sitting on a frag rack with my flame algae).

IMG_9768.jpeg

I LOVE giant Palys, I hope it grows well for me. Eventually gonna glue the frag plug on one of these large white rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also finally decided on a fish for the urchin pad...
Floating now. Not gonna QT him, but once he is eating well and demonstrated to be healthy, he may end up switching places with the clowns.

62205912837__07741D7E-5116-47EF-9B3D-6997F5F9636D.jpeg

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Vulcan :D ORA canary Blenny. Looks to be an adult and in good shape.
I love the fang blennies. Had a zebra for a bit before he was sadly murdered by the Eunice worm in the last tank.

This guy will be the only fish in the 20, but like I said...probably will end up moving him to bigger digs eventually. Sorry for the dirty glass...

IMG_9774.jpeg

IMG_9775.jpeg

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new yellow beastie is eating well and settling in, which is exciting because I've heard that sometimes canary blennies will go on hunger strikes. Still no name...

I enjoy watching him wiggle-pause-wiggle-pause throughout the tank hunting pods and other critters.

The 50 still looks a mess. I've been moving gorgs/coral around to achieve more of a balance (the candelabra in particular needs to go somewhere else), while enduring attacks from my female clownfish. I've been trying to distract her by keeping a net between my hand and her fierce little self, but the presence of the net (even if stationary) really stresses out the Lubbocks (who then proceeds to hide crinkled in a corner with blue stress stripes on for the next 20 minutes). Might need to find a different way to distract her. MOST of her bites are harmless.

Also, I wonder when I'm gonna finally remove/contain this chaeto?

IMG_9858.jpeg

Nice rocks.
IMG_9867.jpeg

Hecka pretty undulating banana.
IMG_9873.jpeg

*shrugs*
Ordered some mangrove roots and oyster shells, and am gonna introduce a sort of mangrove facsimile to this tank. Can't wait til it's less beige. Dunno why I cut off half the tank in this shot.

IMG_9875.jpeg

Freebie discosoma is getting to be a big boi. And check out the mystery brown macro in the background. Might be sargassum? I did have a bunch at one point.

IMG_9876.jpeg

Ochtodes, quickly spreading down the back of this rock.

IMG_9877.jpeg

Little pink streaked is getting more confident over the months.

IMG_9880.jpeg

Glockenspiel says 'Sup.

IMG_9821.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back