20H nano reef planning

Druinz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm planning a tank that will basically be a reboot from my first nano tank that I decided to tear down and re-do.
With the space, I realized I can upgrade from a 10 to a 20H, and while I'd much prefer a 20L, I don't have the space for it. But if I can fit more water volume that'd be a great help to keep parameters more stable.

This thread will basically follow my brainstorming and eventually setup of the tank, so I'm hoping for all kinds of input on anything and everything you guys have something to say about.

Sand: My first tank had a very fine sand, and tended to cloud the tank a lot very often. This time I'm thinking of going with "special grade" CaribSea sand which is 1-2mm. (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/special-grade-arag-alive-live-reef-sand-caribsea.html)

Circulation: I have the Koralia 240 from the previous setup but I also do have another powerhead that is rated at 540 GPH should I need to upgrade. I'll also be using an AC30 that I can mod into a refugium (I have the light), should I need to bring nitrates and phosphates down. (I had the opposite issue with last tank, too low nutrients with high kH)

Right now I'm bleaching the previous rock I had to make sure that I don't bring anything over if I did have any pests that led to the downturn of the previous tank. I will be getting more as I only have about 8lbs and without a sump most if not all my filtration will be done by LR.

For the light I have the Hipagero Aquaknight LED that is rated at 30w and uses similar CREE LEDs that are in the AI Prime. I'm hoping I don't have to upgrade, and I don't think I will have to, but I'll be ready should I need to. I don't plan on keeping SPS so my light requirements aren't extreme.

For gas exchange, I was thinking of making a skim/overflow box and having the HOB pull from there. I can't find the post at the moment but someone else on this forum built the box and had the idea, so I might do something similar for mine.

Stocking: It's really early to talk about this, but just as a general idea I'm thinking 2 clowns (smaller types) with maybe a royal gramma and cleaner shrimp? I'd probably go light on clean-up crew and only get a few dwarf cerith snails, only adding other things should they specifically be needed and be sustainable.

One thing I'm not certain of is if I should start with a low kH before I add any livestock. I have some Red Sea Blue bucket salt and some Instant Ocean, but without any livestock to raise nitrates, the alk of IO might be a bit high starting I'm thinking? Should I start with the RS and slowly switch over to IO as I get more demanding corals and higher nutrient levels from eventual fish? I do plan to keep LPS eventually, but will start with soft corals.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS or IO would be fine to start. Just acclimate your corals by dipping them in coral dip and drip acclimate them to your tank water. Should be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back