20x20x16 cube: reefi uno vs duo elite?

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot decide. I initially was going to run a 150w halide with remote m81 ballast I already own but having second thoughts with my almost 2 year old in the house. The ballast also takes up some essential room under the stand which I could really use.

So now after talking to the owner at reefi and doing some searches I'm here undecided.

1) preorder one/two of the reefi uno's

2) order a duo elite.

Two uno's offer more flexibility. If it turns out I can get away with a single uno over the 20x20x16 then I can use the second over a frag tank or keep as backup.

The elite duo offers a sleek single light mounting solution which has some favor by me as the tank is in the living room right next to our couch.

Going bare bottom mixed reef. Starting with softies, zoas and working up to montipora and some easy sps.

Both solutions I feel offer adequate par. My concern is looks and coverage.

Thoughts? Preferably soon as if I go with the uno's I need to preorder soon before the discount expires.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at the deluxe or the extreme? Either way 2 unos will save you a few bucks. I have seen the extreme and the uno (prototype) in person and they are amazing! Personally I like the look of just one fixture so I'd go extreme but if your ok with 2 fixtures get the unos, save some money, and I'm sure you'll be happy with them!

OP
OP
S

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm referring to the duo extreme. New it's on sale for $650. There's a listing in ths fs forum that has some for sale around $575.

I think the two uno's (7" wide each) will look more cluttered on top.

However I'm more concerned with even coverage with aesthetics playing for second.

The uno's also have a slightly higher ratio of blue spectrum so the difference in power while running with a blue heavy spectrum will probably result in a very close output for a single uno vs a duo extreme. The coverage of the duo would be better if imagine.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo two smaller lights will usually have better coverage than one larger light.

OP
OP
S

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically on a longer tank I agree. However with each uno being 7" roughly spacing two of them over a 20" wide tank pretty much ends up with the spacing of a duo elite.

I need to have the lights mounted closer to the water level which is also weighing on my decision.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your preliminary stock list I would definitely go with a Uno. Then if getting into heavy SPS can get a Duo and move the Uno to a frag tank.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 duo extremes on my 75 gal and they are awesome. I have them mounted roughly 9"above water surface and have more than sufficient coverage, each light covers an area 24"x18". I think 1 duo extreme would be way more than adequate on a 20x20x16, and if you upgrade to a larger footprint tank down the road it could be used on it. I have only read a small amount about the uno, but I think it would provide adequate coverage (I am going to be looking at them soon myself for a 25 gal cube I'm thinking about starting up after the first of the year). My opinion...get the uno if you plan on keeping this tank for a while, if you're thinking of upgrading in the next year or so, get the duo extreme. Either way, I think you will be happy with them, and @danlu_gt is a great person to work with and tech support is best there is.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back