210 Gallon In-Wall Tsunami Build

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a variety of fresh and salt water tanks over the years and about a 20 year hiatus since the last one. Building a house, and with the blessing of the one that matters most, installing a 210 gallon mixed reef tank in wall, see-through with main entryway hallway on one side and my office on the other. Fish, LPS, Softies and who knows SPS eventually.

If that's not just awesome I'm also installing a beer tapper in the kitchen sink! Ahhh I digress, that's for a different site/thread...

Please comment and provide insight as this proceeds!

The tank is on it's way from FishTanksDirect, delivery next week.
In wall, two sides exposed 210g Tsunami (60x30x30) Acrylic
Internal overflow with 1" Bean drain setup
(2) 1" returns on the opposite end
Sump will go directly below in basement (12' head height)

Just starting, looking ahead -

1 - Take what you think what this will cost, add 20% and then double it in the first year.
2 - I want to enjoy the tank daily, not tend to it. Automate what I can. (BRS "ULM" tank)
3 - This will be Apex focused. Controller, ATO, DOS for AWC etc. Trident eventually?
4 - Patience is the key. I'm nearing retirement and in this for the long haul.

Next Steps -
Sump
Water Mixing
ATO
DOS AWC
Quarantine setup

Sump (nothing purchased)
Shooting for 500 - 750g/h flow (2x or 3x)
40g breeder? standard glass tank, 4 sections
Hard Plumbing with manifold for future reactors
Rollermat - Theiling Compact? (no socks)
Skimmer - Bubble magnus?
Fuge section - Lighting for this?
(2) Apex Cor20 run to two independent 1" returns?

Water Mixing (have the RODI nothing else)
7 stage RODI 200g/day
(2) 65g storage tanks (30% of tank)
Lot's of videos available for this (Mr Saltwater Aquarium comes to mind)

ATO - APEX
20g tank right size?

AWC - APEX DOS auto water change
Once the mixing station is running

Quarantine tank
20g tank right size?
Second 20 gallon for coral quarantine?

Location.jpg Tank.jpg Ovreflow.jpg Returns.jpg

Last edited:

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it will be a great build. Not pushing my thread but look at my thread and see if you get some ideas. I'm still working on it but it will be a lot like what you are working on. I went the 40 Breeder and kinda regret it now. bought the Coralvue Klir but had to modify the kit I put in. Not all sump kits are the same and I found it more then a pain to get built. I wont buy one again. I will buy a pre built sump with what I want.
Been a year long build for me so far but I dont regret any of it. I have learned along the way and getting a setup that I will enjoy and maint will be as easy as I can make it.

Take your time, enjoy the build and enjoy the hobby. Welcome to R2R!!
BTW, Love the drawings! Wish I had the software to make them.

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply and kind words. Your tank looks great, wood working too!

I'm definitely stuck on the sump, I know I don't want socks. The manufactured sumps look great and can accommodate a variety of roller mat solutions but the price tag reflects it.

Drawings were all AutoCad. Tank is being delivered today 3/31/21!

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank arrived from FishTanksDirect. Packaged for transport really well. Arrived intact, no scratches, dents or bruises. Had the guys fork lift it into the house, ready to go on top of the in-wall stand.

We used some left over laminated beam for support so it can hold a truck without having a center support post. This left me with a 55 wide, 27 high, 28 deep opening for a sump. I'm re-thinking the sump in the basement and will likely go with one under the tank because of the access I have to it.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image4.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Glad you have had good luck with yours. What's the distance between the top of your sump and bottom of the stand?

Finished the stand today and got the tank up on it.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 54
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 59

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank on the way from them also. Only mine is a 360 Gallon tsunami and still like 4-5 weeks from delivery. You should be really happy with their tank. Just pay attention when you clean it and all will be good.

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself looks really well made. It will be interesting to follow your 360 progress. I'm about 4-5 weeks from moving into my house and starting on my tank. What will you use to clean your tank? Lot's of options out there...

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself looks really well made. It will be interesting to follow your 360 progress. I'm about 4-5 weeks from moving into my house and starting on my tank. What will you use to clean your tank? Lot's of options out there...
On the outside or inside? On the outside of my last acrylic tank (had 13 years) I used this http://www.brillianize.com/Pages/LandingPages/acrylic.html
and after 13 years still was almost perfect.

On the inside I used an 1 size oversized magfloat for acylic (I didn't have sand and new tank won't either) I upsize it 1 more size than needed so it is extra strong to get off the tough stuff

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your ATO:

Instead of a 20g ATO Tank, can you plumb it directly from the RODI Storage Bin? Especially since you are running a APEX System?

Trying to work through this on my small build.

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like that would be the easiest but from what I have read you don't want an unlimited supply of RODI water available in case a valve or something fails and floods your tank with fresh water. With the 20gallon ATO my sump should be able to take most of it without overflowing and the salinity would drop but not enough to wipe out the tank.

Seems like there should be a way to hook it direct but I think this all falls under the "...everything will eventually break..." rule. Plan for when it does and prevent the catastrophe before it happens.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go bigger on the sump. Just remember, you need enough space to be able to drain the top .5-3" from your display tank.

Good idea on the ato, better to run dry then flood.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back