OP
OP
lakereef

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is absolutely amazing! Can I ask what type of salt you are using? What param's do you keep? Also, are you dosing? If so, with what? The color on the coral is phenomenal! So many questions, sorry!

Thank you.

Using Kent salt. Salinity 1.026 via milwaukee photo meter
Nitrates 5-15 current 10ppm via salifert
Phosphates .08ppm via Hannah meter last check
Alk 7-9 current 8.5 via salifert
Cal 500ppm via Red Sea
Mag 1400ppm via Red Sea

Using a reef octopus calcium reactor to keep Alk and Cal stable and BRS magnesium 2 part

About 10% water change weekly.

Happy to answer any other questions.

OP
OP
lakereef

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant! Lol. Thanks now i feel much better about stocking what I want. Do you think a Clown Fish, Clown Goby Pair, Midas Blenny, Flasher Wrasse and Mandarin can get along in a 50G established reef (no SPS) with plenty of pods via refugeum

Yes depending on the type of clown.

boriquacobra0016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my number one goal when I get my bigger tank I want to have beautiful corals and fish for my man cave

Matt181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Just wanted to say, great tank. I've been reading the forums here and there before but this thread has made me create an account! I'm looking to set up a much smaller aquarium but wanted to stock many of the corals you have in yours and was just wondering what the total flow is in the main tank (i.e 50 x etc).

I've been out of the game for a while and been reading various guidelines but thought I'd ask someone who has achieved something I am very much trying to emulate with many of the exact same species.

Many thanks
Matt

OP
OP
lakereef

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments; I'm glad you took the plunge and welcome to the club! I started with a 60g and learned the ropes then upgraded to this tank. I'm glad I started smaller as you learn a lot and the mistakes are cheaper.

I’m using the Reeflo Hammerhead Gold as a return pump which has about 13’ head pressure thus around 4000 gallons per hour flow rate being returned from skimmer, 2 frag tanks and sump in the basement fish room. I have 6 return spots drilled into the back tank wall as closed loop system and 4 Jebo powerheads for added flow. I originally tried running the tank as quiet as possible and avoid powerheads completely but it wasn’t enough flow. The newer powerheads seem close to quiet at least for a living room. I try to run the flow as strong as possible without seeing the ill effects in the coral or sloshing water out of the tank.

Matt181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments; I'm glad you took the plunge and welcome to the club! I started with a 60g and learned the ropes then upgraded to this tank. I'm glad I started smaller as you learn a lot and the mistakes are cheaper.

I’m using the Reeflo Hammerhead Gold as a return pump which has about 13’ head pressure thus around 4000 gallons per hour flow rate being returned from skimmer, 2 frag tanks and sump in the basement fish room. I have 6 return spots drilled into the back tank wall as closed loop system and 4 Jebo powerheads for added flow. I originally tried running the tank as quiet as possible and avoid powerheads completely but it wasn’t enough flow. The newer powerheads seem close to quiet at least for a living room. I try to run the flow as strong as possible without seeing the ill effects in the coral or sloshing water out of the tank.

Thank you! I have kept a reef before but not for a while now. Keeping marine fish at present but wanting to get back into corals!

That's excellent, thank you for the information. So your tank is turned over about 20 times an hour by the return pump alone. Do you have a rough estimate of the total turnover including the powerheads and return pump? Sorry for the questions!

OP
OP
lakereef

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have kept a reef before but not for a while now. Keeping marine fish at present but wanting to get back into corals!

That's excellent, thank you for the information. So your tank is turned over about 20 times an hour by the return pump alone. Do you have a rough estimate of the total turnover including the powerheads and return pump? Sorry for the questions!

Using Jebos RW-15 which full speed is 4k gph each.

Good luck with your build. Alk stability is key and finding the right nutrient balance.

Matt181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Jebos RW-15 which full speed is 4k gph each.

Good luck with your build. Alk stability is key and finding the right nutrient balance.

Wow, that puts you at around 95 times turnover per hour! I might have to buy some bigger pumps!

Thank you for all the info, will bear that in mind. Going to have little to no fish and monitor Alk twice a week so fingers crossed all goes well!

OP
OP
lakereef

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that puts you at around 95 times turnover per hour! I might have to buy some bigger pumps!

Thank you for all the info, will bear that in mind. Going to have little to no fish and monitor Alk twice a week so fingers crossed all goes well!

I'd recommend having some fish; best coral food is fish waste. Having zero nutrients is old style thinking . I really like my nitrates 5ppm and phosphates > 0 but less than .2

B40REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I possibly say that you haven't heard so I just wanted to say that your reef is an inspiration to all of us that dream of a show tank like this one. I just read your post from the beginning to end, it popped up on my Facebook from R2R. I started with a 40 breeder and graduated up to 90 gallon and am looking at getting a SCAquarium 150. I like how you stated that stability is key, so many read about parameters needed to be 0 and that's one of the biggest mistakes in reefing. Minimal maintenance and keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible works wonders. Hats of to you and keep the posts coming- following this one.

OP
OP
lakereef

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank, any pics of the hardware/filtration?

Using an external skimmer, with newly replaced pump...
CB4184B8-811F-433B-87AA-4A1D6922F343_zpsn5rap4bw.jpg

Calcium Reactor

BAAB39EF-6224-4A55-9A63-7400091241AB_zpsuzakwshx.jpg

From left to right.
On Top: Frag tank 1, 2 and 50g water change barrel gravity fed into my sump.
Bottom: Fish QT, and 40g coral quarantine. ( change 50% water from main tank weekly)
7960DD9A-F336-40D1-B412-26E5CA3C7C78_zpsosn58apz.jpg

Said sump. keep about 175g in it. I have a powerhead that turns on daily to keep debris from settling. Sometimes I run carbon, doesn't seem to do much but clear the water a bit.
CB581C00-6EF1-4DA1-97EF-32FF8839F57D_zps2zka3iyc.jpg

close up of the two frag tanks!
400 watt halide
8F1447A4-E173-4A31-A397-1B5175EF59FB_zpsuunsajpo.jpg

Cheap ebay LEDs
7D476F16-3657-4489-AC07-C82B376A3B12_zpsmorni92l.jpg

Last edited:

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Using Kent salt. Salinity 1.026 via milwaukee photo meter
Nitrates 5-15 current 10ppm via salifert
Phosphates .08ppm via Hannah meter last check
Alk 7-9 current 8.5 via salifert
Cal 500ppm via Red Sea
Mag 1400ppm via Red Sea

Using a reef octopus calcium reactor to keep Alk and Cal stable and BRS magnesium 2 part

About 10% water change weekly.

Happy to answer any other questions.
Thank you! Always cal at 500ppm?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back