2100+ GPH pump recommendations

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of building out my new Waterbox 230.6 tank. The recommendation on flow is 2100 GPH.

1.) Am I correct in assuming I need to take into account head height (about 5’)?
2.) Any recommendations on pumps? I had initially thought about the Vectra L1 but I’m not sure if it is powerful enough and I’ve been reading a lot of negative things lately.
3.) Budget isn’t a HUGE concern but definitely can’t afford something like an Abyzz.

Thanks in advance!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Yes; head height will impact the actual flow rate you will get from the pump (pushing uphill is harder then pushing along the ground).
2) Are you looking for a submersible, or external (dry) pump?
The L1 would get you close to 2100 GPH at full speed, but might fall a little short. You would also have to run it at 100%. When I tried that with mine, it got very loud and very hot (to the point where my heaters never came on and the chiller kicked on 2x as often). I've since removed the L1 and replaced it with a COR-20 (which would also not meet your needs, but mine are lower than yours).

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah; I've not seen anything quite as large as that (but it may be out there - not really looked for one that size in a while). Have you considered running two pumps? I'm planning on that in my new tank so that I get more flow than a single pump, but it also gives me a backup pump should one fail.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz
Red dragon
Maybe sicce sdc or adv (cheaper alternative, with good brand name, but I haven't tried one personally to see if they truly get the head height they list)

Very few internal pumps will get over 2k gph with any head height. The ones listed above will for sure, but 2 of them are $$$

I think the new red dragon is under $1k and pretty powerful, high head height as well. I bit the bullet for abyzz, love it and the 10 year warranty, but it is expensive.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflo Gold pumps are very good for the price.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Reef Octo water blaster rated at 2,600 gph. I have be getting at least 1/2 into the tank. It's an Ac pump& very quiet & appears well made. There are larger sizes also.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're better off with two smaller pumps. The Sicce ADV 7.0 is 55w and very powerful. Two might be too much with head height but not sure.

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're better off with two smaller pumps. The Sicce ADV 7.0 is 55w and very powerful. Two might be too much with head height but not sure.

Hello, i don't know but if you refer to my post, i speak about Sicce SDC not ADV. I don't know nothing about ADV. Speaking about size it's really decent size, not ridiculous small. It's few millimeter smaller that the Jebao pump i use before but. I see some people complain about noise but i really don't notice nothing.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i don't know but if you refer to my post, i speak about Sicce SDC not ADV. I don't know nothing about ADV. Speaking about size it's really decent size, not ridiculous small. It's few millimeter smaller that the Jebao pump i use before but. I see some people complain about noise but i really don't notice nothing.

Nope, just saying this newer model is very good. I picked one up a couple of months ago and am extremely impressed with it. It's a beast for 55w. I'd say close to 2x my Octo4 after head height. The 7.0 is a sweet spot, the 9.0 goes up to 90w with not much gain in flow.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Vectra M1 for my waterbox 170.4/5 at 75% power with more than enough flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back