22 gallon Mr Aqua (closed loop)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
A few weeks ago I came home from work to find my OM flow diverter was no longer diverting flow. I took the unit apart and found the drum that spins and switches the flow back and forth had sheared off into two pieces. I quickly ordered a new drum and meanwhile made a quick "bush fix" and put it back together with super glue thinking it might hold until I received the new part. Well, it worked until I got home from work last night and had flow on only one side. The glue couldn't hold any longer. I knew this was only a temporary fix anyway, but I still haven't gotten the new drum (close to a month now). So going forward my plan is to completely remove the OM diverter and in it's place install an Ecotech Vectra S2 DC pump. I think this will work even better for this tank and free up space and less equipment under the stand. It's already been ordered and should be here in a couple days. I'll only have to tweak the plumbing slightly to get it plumbed in. I'll show some new photos once it's all in.

This was my fear with an OM diverter from the get go and why I avoided it for my closed loop setup. I went with Dual vectra M2's instead to still get the alternating flow I wanted.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my fear with an OM diverter from the get go and why I avoided it for my closed loop setup. I went with Dual vectra M2's instead to still get the alternating flow I wanted.
JoshH,
Are you still using the vectra's? How are they working out? My plan is to go with one vectra and split the flow between two returns. Most likely to use "reef crest" mode. Not sure at what percent until I can see the flow pattern.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
A few weeks ago I came home from work to find my OM flow diverter was no longer diverting flow. I took the unit apart and found the drum that spins and switches the flow back and forth had sheared off into two pieces. I quickly ordered a new drum and meanwhile made a quick "bush fix" and put it back together with super glue thinking it might hold until I received the new part. Well, it worked until I got home from work last night and had flow on only one side. The glue couldn't hold any longer. I knew this was only a temporary fix anyway, but I still haven't gotten the new drum (close to a month now). So going forward my plan is to completely remove the OM diverter and in it's place install an Ecotech Vectra S2 DC pump. I think this will work even better for this tank and free up space and less equipment under the stand. It's already been ordered and should be here in a couple days. I'll only have to tweak the plumbing slightly to get it plumbed in. I'll show some new photos once it's all in.
I had a similar issue with my OM unit, only I had a couple of the magnets in the wet side swell and split the plastic they were incased in...tried epoxy to repair, ended up removing it and going with with dual RO varios 6 pumps, controlled via Hydros WaveEngine. Still love the concept of the OM, but small particles are definitely not its friend.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JoshH,
Are you still using the vectra's? How are they working out? My plan is to go with one vectra and split the flow between two returns. Most likely to use "reef crest" mode. Not sure at what percent until I can see the flow pattern.

Still using the vectras but I am probably going to swap them out for something else. Mobius is a complete nightmare to deal with and as helpful as Ecotech has been, I still have one of them running a modified return pump mode because for whatever reason it won't accept the closed loop mode. I like the flow my fully functioning pump puts out and the pumps themselves seem to be good quality. But I was tired of all the back and fourth with them to fix something that shouldn't be this difficult.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using the vectras but I am probably going to swap them out for something else. Mobius is a complete nightmare to deal with and as helpful as Ecotech has been, I still have one of them running a modified return pump mode because for whatever reason it won't accept the closed loop mode. I like the flow my fully functioning pump puts out and the pumps themselves seem to be good quality. But I was tired of all the back and fourth with them to fix something that shouldn't be this difficult.
Reef Octopus Varios are excellent pumps, quiet with consistent power.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, good to know. Can you operate the vectra just using the controller and just skip Mobius?

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, good to know. Can you operate the vectra just using the controller and just skip Mobius?

Not in closed loop mode to my knowledge but I haven't tried running it in closed loop mode from just the controller so not 100% sure.

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Did you ever get that replacement drum in?

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get that replacement drum in?
No, It never got sent. After filing a complaint with paypal about not receiving my order I ended up getting a refund. So I went ahead and installed the Vectra S2 pump. So far I really like it and have no complaints. I'm running it in reef crest mode at 100% where it ramps up and down from both outlets simultaneously. I think I like it better than the OM diverter that would switch back and forth. I guess it all worked out in the end. Here's a photo of the new plumbing configuration with the Vectra installed.

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, It never got sent. After filing a complaint with paypal about not receiving my order I ended up getting a refund. So I went ahead and installed the Vectra S2 pump. So far I really like it and have no complaints. I'm running it in reef crest mode at 100% where it ramps up and down from both outlets simultaneously. I think I like it better than the OM diverter that would switch back and forth. I guess it all worked out in the end. Here's a photo of the new plumbing configuration with the Vectra installed.

I have some old OM’s lying around that I had originally intended to use on my closed loops, but I’ve been worrying that there wouldn’t be support anymore, since they never respond. I picked up a Red Dragon 150 watt on an open box sale and considered using that on the 4 ways I still have, and just using the Dolphin amp master for a continuous gyre flow on the big closed loop. I figured eventually I’ll have to run a couple DC pumps to simulate the wave flow, but you’re running yours solo? Why do you like it better?

(Thanks for the responses!)

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can get away with running a solo vectra because my tank is only 22 gallons. It's plenty of flow for my tank dimensions. If I were running anything bigger and wanted to keep the closed loop as my only source of flow (besides my return pump) I would go with two pumps. I would configure it so each pump would be plumbed into their own returns, be it one or two each, (depending on how many you have).

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can get away with running a solo vectra because my tank is only 22 gallons. It's plenty of flow for my tank dimensions. If I were running anything bigger and wanted to keep the closed loop as my only source of flow (besides my return pump) I would go with two pumps. I would configure it so each pump would be plumbed into their own returns, be it one or two each, (depending on how many you have).
Yeah, mine is a bit bigger than that. 6’ x 2’ footprint, with returns drilled on both 24” sides, two in front on one side, two in back on the other side, so that the tank gets a max gyre type flow. I have a 4 way on that big loop, with opposing flow drum, and then a smaller closed loop over the top with a type 1 sequential flow super squirt for more random flow generation. I have a few super squirt’s on hand, but no replacement magnets for the 4way and I worry about that part. I’ve retreated it with epoxy a few times but… nothing lasts forever.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back