OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning is the key with any build! So for the last week I’ve been coming up with how to hide all the equipment. But finally on January 14h I was able to decide on what I was going to do.
Figuring out how I will hide the apex/auto top off container with being so obvious was important to me.
0D55FEE2-CFC2-4B6E-AFF2-7EE5CB96E391.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it began on January 15th! Made the front panel first so I could figure out what height I wanted and decided to go with the taller one for aesthetic reasoning but it also gave me more room for the apex controller.
7CF8BAFB-12BF-4568-A61A-ED8996F924D3.jpeg
968B57B1-FE52-47BF-A165-D42E7754074C.jpeg
8429D508-F96F-4846-AAE2-C79BDEC504EF.jpeg

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 15th almost finished it up. In the mean time I had to send back one of the radions hence why there is only one hanging. The seller was nice enough to take it back bc it was flashing red and green and he sent me out another one with no issues.

DBB007EC-74D0-4BD8-945E-070502AE09F3.jpeg
0BC4A23B-ECB8-4E25-9E11-311F397F2CC0.jpeg
F2853962-F739-4216-9AC6-F04037E85F30.jpeg

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let there be two gen 4 xr30w pros again!!!! If anyone is running radions, let me know what program you run? Curious if anyone runs more white than what the ab+ gives
2D74AC59-DFE6-439E-902C-E50832E8D1CE.jpeg

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the apex all buttoned up. I think I’m just going to run the temp prob. Not sure if the salinity prob matters to me. I feel like back when I had it on my old tank, it was so finicky. Then eventually when the tank demands reach the need of dosing, I’ll use a ph prob.
C388E2A6-D356-4A7B-9F1A-565AF2A107DA.jpeg

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 21st 2020
Once I got the tank stand where I wanted, I realized the stand top was off balanced. I know my floors were slightly uneven but I also than realized the 4x4 posts where the butcher slab was going to sit on wasn’t flat. So here I am in a high rise on the balcony in the middle of winter sanding away at the surface to get rid of the high points I found so I can have a perfect surface :D
7D45DF34-1396-44CA-98FE-F3347E608689.jpeg
I've lived in s jersey and driven through md many times over the years, don't think I've ever seen high-rise buildings like that. That Baltimore?

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lived in s jersey and driven through md many times over the years, don't think I've ever seen high-rise buildings like that. That Baltimore?

No not Baltimore but about 45 minutes out from there. Surprisingly Montgomery county has more high rises than one would think. We are also so close to dc!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I had to go pick up some plants but most likely will have the snake plant on the top shelf and the bottom shelf will hold the tablet for the apex.
A6677658-6DC3-4D78-9187-CA4C7E703B30.jpeg

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a cool build! Seems like it could really change the way we think about the hobby, or at least nano tanks, if all goes as planned. Also seems like the perfect tank to use an AWC system on. How do you plan on dealing with evaporation? What is your plan for coral?

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a cool build! Seems like it could really change the way we think about the hobby, or at least nano tanks, if all goes as planned. Also seems like the perfect tank to use an AWC system on. How do you plan on dealing with evaporation? What is your plan for coral?

THANK YOU! I really appreciate it. If I had the space to store the water for the awc, that would be a definite solution to making my life easier haha. But unfortunately for me it’ll be just be doing weekly water changes.

As far as evaporation goes, I went with the xp sumpless auto top off so it’ll have the ability to surface skim for me but also acts as a auto top off. Most likely I will have a 3 or 5 gallon container that will fit in my new cabinet I built.

So for corals, I originally was writing that it will be sps focused but after slowly putting this build together, I realized I wanted sand and movement in the tank. It’s something I didn’t really have in the past since I’m a big fan of sps but movement is genuinely so pleasing from a viewing standpoint. I also don’t want sand building up or having random spots of no sand which means lower flow is needed. At this moment it looks like it’ll be a mixed tank, some sps (most likely just acros and stags), lps (torch corals maybe a Goni, a Duncan), some soft corals ( maybe if I find a weeping willow toadstool or just a regular one) and a rose bubble tip anemone since I’ve never owned one.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU! I really appreciate it. If I had the space to store the water for the awc, that would be a definite solution to making my life easier haha. But unfortunately for me it’ll be just be doing weekly water changes.

As far as evaporation goes, I went with the xp sumpless auto top off so it’ll have the ability to surface skim for me but also acts as a auto top off. Most likely I will have a 3 or 5 gallon container that will fit in my new cabinet I built.

So for corals, I originally was writing that it will be sps focused but after slowly putting this build together, I realized I wanted sand and movement in the tank. It’s something I didn’t really have in the past since I’m a big fan of sps but movement is genuinely so pleasing from a viewing standpoint. I also don’t want sand building up or having random spots of no sand which means lower flow is needed. At this moment it looks like it’ll be a mixed tank, some sps (most likely just acros and stags), lps (torch corals maybe a Goni, a Duncan), some soft corals ( maybe if I find a weeping willow toadstool or just a regular one) and a rose bubble tip anemone since I’ve never owned one.
Good call with the XP Aqua! If you still wanted to do SPS with sand you could probably get away with aragalive reef sand. Probably wouldn’t have much issue with sand blowing around. Either way thought it seems like it’s going to be an awesome build! Looking forward to following it

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call with the XP Aqua! If you still wanted to do SPS with sand you could probably get away with aragalive reef sand. Probably wouldn’t have much issue with sand blowing around. Either way thought it seems like it’s going to be an awesome build! Looking forward to following it

Thank you! yeah I’ve used the reef sand in the past. I’m either going to go with that or Fiji pink since I do love the finer grain look. We shall just have to wait and see.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build so far!!

I have that same ato on my nano. The is directions aren't very clear, but the second pump needs to have the water exciting out the little hole in the front to create the "overflow" to where it creates a second water level inside the box. You'll see what I mean when you install it.

It works great, but makes a little too much noise for me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back