22 gallon Sumpless DREAM BUILD!

SDSaltee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

It seems like anyone who has ever had some positive success in the hobby can never really leave the hobby for good. I haven’t had a true reef tank set up for about a year in a half to two years at this point. I’ve had beautiful Red Sea tanks, a 200 gallon planet aquarium that was designed for the original owner by mrsaltwatertank and have even had a 22 gallon with a sump in the past. Out of all the tanks I’ve owned some how I never was pleased with the turn out with the original 22 gallon. So here I am trying to do it again with a nano build and why not share the build with everyone!

The plan:
The 22 gallon was decided on bc I loved the dimensions and the rimless look. It’s a beautiful tank with dimensions that make you feel like it’s much larger than it really is. I decided to go sumpless since there was no room for a sump due to the stand decisions I had made. The rock will most likely come from kp aquatics and I have some dry rock as well once I figure out the desired aquascape. Filtration plan is going to be the rock and water changes. Im most likely going bare bottom and no skimmer. As I watch the tank, I will add a airstone skimmer if I feel like I need it. The reason I’m not starting with a skimmer is I have delt with dinos in the past and I feel like it’s so easy to strip your water of nutrients.

Current equipment:

Tank - Mr Aqua 22 gallon

Stand - custom built by myself

Lighting - 2 ecotech radion xr30w gen 4 pros (yes overkill but I love it)

Ato / surface skimmer - Xp aqua sumpless ato

Powerhead - ecotech MP10 (somewhere lost in the mail)

Controller - 2016 apex

7E531C7A-CC54-4691-8150-95360ECF013A.jpeg

437BA32B-B2A8-430C-B744-E2616EC45D22.jpeg
04992806-E3F8-4753-925C-6E48742D644C.jpeg
I'm an Interior Designer to support my reef addiction and this is stunning! Love the stand so much. What a beautiful addition to your space!! Good luck!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the exciting part!! sorry if this was already mentioned, but bare bottom or sand??

so it was a tough call! I usually have had great success with bare bottom but aesthetically I love sand. So after many days thinking about it, I ultimately decided to go with sand “Fiji pink” so we shall see see how it turns out. If I have nutrient issues, sand goes bye bye haha.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it was a tough call! I usually have had great success with bare bottom but aesthetically I love sand. So after many days thinking about it, I ultimately decided to go with sand “Fiji pink” so we shall see see how it turns out. If I have nutrient issues, sand goes bye bye
I have to say I am in love with that sandy bottom look to :) fiji pink was impossible for me to clean, so I have this super large grained stuff now, that I can even gravel vac If I am careful.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went thru all the pages. It's great! Clean... So streamlined.... So ur going bare..b... Did u order or pick up live rock yet?

so after many days of thinking about it, I ultimately decided to go with Fiji pink sand. I usually have better success with bare bottoms but this tanks goal is to be aesthetically pleasing. Not looking insane growth and or selling frags.

As far as rock, I usually start with dry Marco rock but this time I’m going to buy live rock from KP aquatics to see what it’s like with all that real bacteria. I’ve had dinos before and I want to see if there is any advantage to the live rock.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping on board. I love the simplicity of this tank and stand. Plus nano tanks are great. KP rocks will bring some really good filtration in. What are your thoughts on corals?
Agreed. I’m really excited to try out the rock from KP aquatics just need to actually get on it haha but have to make time to be ready to aquascape with it.

originally I was going to go sps and bare bottom but I’ve realized I’m just to busy to have that successfully work out. So I think I’m just going to go with a mixed reef with Fiji pink sand. Whatever corals make me happy; are things that will go into the tank. So I’m pretty excited about that.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you are not lazy.

as someone who has lived in (often cramped) apartments for the better part of my life, I SO appreciate this build. Especially the planter that holds a apex...
Excited for coral for ya! Following along!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I am in love with that sandy bottom look to :) fiji pink was impossible for me to clean, so I have this super large grained stuff now, that I can even gravel vac If I am careful.

I also love a sandy bottom haha. Yeah I will see how the fiji pink will do. I was worried it was going to blow around but since I decided to go with a mixed reef, flow will be significantly lowered compared to an sps only reef. We shall see how hard it will be to keep clean.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an Interior Designer to support my reef addiction and this is stunning! Love the stand so much. What a beautiful addition to your space!! Good luck!

wow! Thank you for the kind words.Very much appreciated!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got Fiji pink in one of my tanks and love it, no problem vacuuming it, maybe it depends on how powerful the vacuum is. Your tank is so gorgeous I can't wait to see the next steps! Great job!

Glad to hear you love the Fiji pink. I always had the reef sand or whatever the next size up is called but have always been a fan of the slightly smaller size. That’s something I will look into is just a smaller vacuum. I wouldn’t be surprised if I had one laying around somewhere haha But thank you for the kind words. I’m definitely excited to be sharing this build with everyone!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you are not lazy.

as someone who has lived in (often cramped) apartments for the better part of my life, I SO appreciate this build. Especially the planter that holds a apex...
Excited for coral for ya! Following along!

haha I will definitely take that as a compliment :p thank you though. I think one can be pleasantly surprised how well a nano reef can compliment a small space!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a 100 watt aqueon heater laying around and although it didn’t fit in the surface skimmer, it fit nicely right next to it where it’s not in your face and or disturbing to look at. I also realized it wouldn’t work well in the surface skimmer since the apex temp prob sits inside the box.
088A905B-4F5F-4278-9B99-6C32C35D48E1.jpeg
A2F5F089-7CB1-4756-9BAD-40D021C15E98.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back