220 Gallon - Tang recommendation

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently I have a large FoxFace, Blue Hippo, Moorish Idol and a Twin Spot Bristletooth tang (in the larger fish category)

I will be removing the twin spot bristletooth tang, he’s super pretty but he chases my sand sifting Goby and the sand sifter really helps keep the sand clean.

I’m looking to add another tang in his place, I had thought about a Desjardini, a Purple or an Achilles tang.

I’m trying to find a tang that will leave my gobies alone and also just be peaceful like the blue hippo.

Any thoughts or recommendations m?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME desjardini is probably the least aggressive of the 3, Achilles would be most aggressive. Purples can be jerks but I’ve had good luck with them.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few folks report issues combining sand-sifting gobies with bristletooth tangs. The same tangs with algae -eating blennies can be a problem too.

Of the three you mentioned, I like the purple best for your tank. The two big sailfins get so big, and the achilles is challenging in more ways than one.

Another option would be a non tang. One of the Genicanthus angels, like lamarck, spotbreast, bellus, watanabe would be a reef-safe option... Or one of the peaceful triggers, like bluethroat, crosshatch, sargassumm.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bristletooth will be gone when I add the next tang, so there’s only going to be 2 tangs in my tank, the blue hippo and whatever I decide on.

I think the blue hippo will be fine with whatever tang I add

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of good advice already given. The only issue with the purple is that they can be very aggressive so I’d be aware of that and consider getting a smaller one (how big is your hippo?). I see you have a moorish idol - how long have you had it? If you’ve been able to successfully keep it for awhile you may be one of the very few reefers that can successfully keep an Achilles tang. But it will need a lot of flow and room to swim so consider how your tank is set up first as well as if the tank has ich in it.

Other tangs to consider that tend to be more peaceful include the Naso tang and the orange shoulder tang, which I think could be beautiful with a hippo if the two graze together. A 220 is just big enough for either of these tangs if you have a good amount open swimming space. @4FordFamily has a list ranking tangs on aggression from his experience toward the bottom of this article.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mimic Tangs tend to be less aggressive than many of their counterparts, Zebrasoma Tangs tend to be one of the more aggressive varieties and Purples are right near the top for aggression. The only Zebrasoma I don't hear many complaints about is the Scopas Tang.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of good advice already given. The only issue with the purple is that they can be very aggressive so I’d be aware of that and consider getting a smaller one (how big is your hippo?). I see you have a moorish idol - how long have you had it? If you’ve been able to successfully keep it for awhile you may be one of the very few reefers that can successfully keep an Achilles tang. But it will need a lot of flow and room to swim so consider how your tank is set up first as well as if the tank has ich in it.

Other tangs to consider that tend to be more peaceful include the Naso tang and the orange shoulder tang, which I think could be beautiful with a hippo if the two graze together. A 220 is just big enough for either of these tangs if you have a good amount open swimming space. @4FordFamily has a list ranking tangs on aggression from his experience toward the bottom of this article.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

This thread is brilliant! Is it stickied and I just missed it? I always thought Naso’s were up there with PBT as far as aggression goes. I had to laugh when it talks about PBT’s holding a grudge and personal vendetta, I’ve heard that story a lot, it certainly goes against the notion that fish have a memory span of 5 seconds.

I’m now considering Orange Shoulder and Naso as possibilities.

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple in my 127 gallon, along with a Yellow eye Kole tang (smaller, introduced last) and a Foxface (smaller than Mr Purple, introduced after Mr P). Mr P is a jerk, surprised he hasn’t killed himself on the Foxface’s spines yet. I know I introduced in the wrong order so no hating please; the deal on Diver’s Den was too good to pass up on this guy. I read after the fact that Purples are on the more aggressive side, and this is true in my case. He isn’t at the point of damaging any of the other algae eaters, but he certainly bosses them around and flexes a lot.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is brilliant! Is it stickied and I just missed it? I always thought Naso’s were up there with PBT as far as aggression goes. I had to laugh when it talks about PBT’s holding a grudge and personal vendetta, I’ve heard that story a lot, it certainly goes against the notion that fish have a memory span of 5 seconds.

I’m now considering Orange Shoulder and Naso as possibilities.

Yes it’s stickied (I think) and a great article!

Glad to help, I think the orange shoulder tang is definitely underrated :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange shoulder could work.

Any of the Naso species get really big. I don't know the dimensions of your tank for sure, but for the two commonly called "Naso" tangs, somewhere in the 8' 240 gallon is probably best.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 220, I've got an Indian Ocean squaretail & yellow-eye kole, a juvenile mimic (chocolate) tang, and a purple, along with a foxface lo. They've been in for a few months, and there was surely some friction at the beginning, but everyone seems to be getting along at this point - with the purple being tank-boss. I'd love to add a yellow and a powderblue, but that's a powderkeg I'll have to consider carefully.

~Bruce

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back