225G Build (72x30x24)

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is finally time to start a thread and document my tank. I have never done one of these before so I am not sure how it will go, but things are progressing along and the tank was delivered today.

I will start with a list of my equipment:
Crystal Dynamics 72x30x24 EuroBraced with Ghost Overlfow
Trigger Systems Tideline 48 sump
Reef Octopus Varios 8 return pump
Reef Octopus Elite 200 INT Skimmer
(2) XF250 Gyre's (this may change eventually... ive tried them in the past and couldn't get them set to my liking, however I wanted to give them another chance).
60" ATI 8X80 T5 Sunpower w/2 Reef Brite tech LED strips

And then some stand building pics:

JZ6QcPf.jpg

uHcRHoW.jpg

eGBFXdt.jpg

T0UeiSZ.jpg

dz3HQ8v.jpg

rBr6Q66.jpg

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a few pics that the builder sent me while the tank was being built:

MgHEzJw.jpg

3cZDRGx.jpg

rBsjqN8.jpg

sKtE0pz.jpg

eiTqvSm.jpg

a5SMA8z.jpg

WwFIEHL.jpg

VOPaYLY.jpg

iOblIFk.jpg

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics of the stand moved into place (This just happened today)!!

2N4WKNB.jpg

1EJfWBM.jpg

VIfclJ5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also today, the tank was delivered!
eGYuGkS.jpg

Hopefully soon I can round up some guys to help me get it up on the stand.

I have had BRS Pukani rock bleached / cleaned / curing for about 3 months now, and believe I have everything else I need. I have all of my plumbing parts, sand, pumps and lighting ready to go.

Last edited:

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also today, the tank was delivered!
eGYuGkS.jpg

Hopefully soon I can round up some guys to help me get it up on the stand.

I have had BRS Pukani rock bleached / cleaned / curing for about 3 months now, and believe I have everything else I need. I have all of my plumbing parts, sand, pumps and lighting ready to go.
Awesome build! Deff following!

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update yet - I found a PVC fitting that I have been searching for a long time... It is due to be delivered tomorrow so I may get it plumbed tomorrow.

I did however get the tank on the stand, hung the light and got the reef brite strips installed.

rDC8yDJ.jpg

I also started working on my electrical "panel" in the meantime - pretty much done, going to mount it in the stand tomorrow as well.

CpD4zZc.jpg

XkiHBaz.jpg

The little shelf will hold my Spectrapure pump for my top off. I used the same pump on my last build and never had a good place to put it... just laid on the bottom of the stand and it always seemed out of place and in the way.

Thanks
Dave

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, stand was built by me. First attempt at staining plywood and it was meh... I wanted all of the grain to go the same direction so I opted for plywood as opposed to hardwood on my previous stand. It was certainly much easier to build with plywood, until I got to the finish.

Working on plumbing and electrical today, maybe have it completed tonight or tomorrow (hopefully... the wife will kill me if it is still a mess on Christmas).

Thanks
Dave

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Got a big part of it done - was a pretty productive 2 day's.

dk4BpsV.jpg

CXQOJtG.jpg

My goal was to see as little plumbing under the stand when looking at it from "normal standing height".

HecHiLK.jpg

Here is a shot from "eye level":

aAPLgc6.jpg

Completed:

0sgaBrh.jpg

And got the tank moved back into place:

zNvTc0e.jpg

Going to let it sit like this for a week or so and make sure there is nothing I want to change, add or remove before I fill it. Also still have to tidy up some of the wiring, but all in all we're almost there!

Thanks
Dave

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to throw another update out here as I am making some progress. I received my final bulb I was waiting for as well as my cheapo UFO LED that I am going to try over my fuge. Got everything installed and tested.

Fuge light:
QSTy33D.jpg

ReefBrites only:
6rK1CwS.jpg

Reefbrites and 2 T5 Bulbs (Blue plus and 1 True Actinic):
u8Y2ZKL.jpg

ReefBrites plus all 8 bulbs:
f1hfrd0.jpg

As with any cell phone camera - it doesn't appear as blue in person as it does on the camera. On that note I do have a new Nikon D3400 on the way that I will be playing around with. I actually won it at my companies Christmas party - I know nothing about taking pictures so it will be a nice learning experience for me.

I also got the water station wrapped up. This pic doesn't show all of it put together, not sure why I took the pic with it off, but it is completed and ready! You can also see the large brute of rock that is ready to go into the tank.

p3s5gWT.jpg

The one last piece that I am trying to do is add some moon lighting to the fixture. I have the 3 LED string and the LSM that I used on a previous tank, but I just can't find a way to mount the LED's while keeping it looking "clean". Anyone have any suggestions on that?

Will hopefully have some hose water in it after the 1st to test the plumbing and flow, will probably let that run for a day or so and then drain it, let it dry out and then start filling it with RODI.

Thanks
Dave

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#plumbingtekkers! Awesome job Dave. I’m going to plumb mine in a very similar way, so thanks for the inspiration [emoji1303] looking forward to following this setup [emoji4]

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know folks reccomend using a gate valve for the herbie or bean animal type overflow, and I have also done so in the past. However I really wanted a white / red valve and not a grey schedule 80 valve down there. We will see how it works out.

And thanks!

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you find the Reef octopus varios 8 return pump? Is it quiet? Is it Apex ready?

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a week and I will let you know. I have owned a 2, 4, 6 and have absolutely loved them all. Yes, they are all 100% quiet and 0-10v / apex ready. Haven't even powered the 8 yet.

I have the Elite 150 int with a Varios 2 return pump running my 60g frag tank and the Elite 200 int with the Varios 8 return pump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back