230V Chiller with Apex

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 500 gallons of total water volume. I'm about to purchase the JBJ Arctica DA-1000B, which is their 1 HP chiller. It's 230V and runs at 5.5 amps. I was wondering how I would get this to be controlled by my Apex, before I purchase it? Is there some type of relay or something that I can use (since it's 230V), to then plug it into an EB832? Or, are there any other 1 HP chillers that are easier to control with the Apex? I have the 2016 Apex with 3 EB832's. I don't mind purchasing additional pieces to properly set this up, but want to make sure it's controllable from the Apex before I buy anything. Thanks.

Akersta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control through your Apex but will need a relay to do so. I'm currently planning on doing the same for my new build in a few months. You could either use one of the 120 volt outlets as the control voltage to the relay or the 24 volt outlet port. I'd recommend using the 24 volt for safety measures. I'd make sure to build a small waterproof electrical enclosure to house the relay and other items if needed due to the high voltage.

OP
OP
Howieumd

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control through your Apex but will need a relay to do so. I'm currently planning on doing the same for my new build in a few months. You could either use one of the 120 volt outlets as the control voltage to the relay or the 24 volt outlet port. I'd recommend using the 24 volt for safety measures. I'd make sure to build a small waterproof electrical enclosure to house the relay and other items if needed due to the high voltage.

Thanks! Something like this?

https://www.grainger.com/product/WH...m/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1N184_AS01?$smthumb$

Just want to make sure. The chiller says 230V, but all I'm finding are 24V X 240V relays.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back