230V Chiller with Apex

  • Thread starter Thread starter Howieumd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
80
Reaction score
73
Location
North Dartmouth, MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 500 gallons of total water volume. I'm about to purchase the JBJ Arctica DA-1000B, which is their 1 HP chiller. It's 230V and runs at 5.5 amps. I was wondering how I would get this to be controlled by my Apex, before I purchase it? Is there some type of relay or something that I can use (since it's 230V), to then plug it into an EB832? Or, are there any other 1 HP chillers that are easier to control with the Apex? I have the 2016 Apex with 3 EB832's. I don't mind purchasing additional pieces to properly set this up, but want to make sure it's controllable from the Apex before I buy anything. Thanks.
 
You can control through your Apex but will need a relay to do so. I'm currently planning on doing the same for my new build in a few months. You could either use one of the 120 volt outlets as the control voltage to the relay or the 24 volt outlet port. I'd recommend using the 24 volt for safety measures. I'd make sure to build a small waterproof electrical enclosure to house the relay and other items if needed due to the high voltage.
 
You can control through your Apex but will need a relay to do so. I'm currently planning on doing the same for my new build in a few months. You could either use one of the 120 volt outlets as the control voltage to the relay or the 24 volt outlet port. I'd recommend using the 24 volt for safety measures. I'd make sure to build a small waterproof electrical enclosure to house the relay and other items if needed due to the high voltage.

Thanks! Something like this?

https://www.grainger.com/product/WH...m/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1N184_AS01?$smthumb$

Just want to make sure. The chiller says 230V, but all I'm finding are 24V X 240V relays.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new