OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a minute since I had anything to update. I've been letting the tank mature and settle in and it seems to have paid off. Took about 6 weeks for my bio pellets to kick in, but amazing how much they work once they kick in! Other than that have added a few new occupants.

Here is the current list:
Desjardini tang
Vlamingi tang
Hippo tang
3 yellow tangs
Purple tang
7 BG chromis
2 banggai cardinals
Pseudochromis
Sleeper goby
Foxface
2 green clown gobies
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
2 sexy shrimp
Assorted clean up crew

Only a little bad news to report...one monti bleached out but never seemed happy. Torch has one bleached head that is coloring back up. Everything else seems to be fluffy and happy!

Don't plan on adding much aside from coral in the next few months in an effort to keep the peace.

Couple random pics from today:

Left side
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403806989.838871.jpg

Right side tang school
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403807018.765504.jpg

Snail eggs! Possibly nassarius?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403807047.555776.jpg

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abyss is filling up quickly!!! How cool man, I'm happy things are going well for you. Where are all the yellow tangs at in the photos?

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abyss is filling up quickly!!! How cool man, I'm happy things are going well for you. Where are all the yellow tangs at in the photos?

Thanks man! Knock on wood haha.

I sat for 15 mins trying to get all the tangs in one shot but it's next to impossible. Here's two of them though!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403807818.728953.jpg

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Your darjadini is probably sick of the color yellow right about now! LOL

I see Foxy still has to be the photo bomber he was in my tank.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, man! Those look like astrea eggs to me, but certainly could be nassarius.

I'm also loving all the tangs!

Brandon

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm definitely enjoying watching the tank mature and the corals (slowly) fill out. I'm still amazed how well the biopellets work with all these poop factories swimming around!

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but how is your skimmer doing with so many poop factories?

Brandon

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but how is your skimmer doing with so many poop factories?

Brandon

It's been very interesting actually, well as interesting as stanky skimmate can be. It was pulling out quite a bit and it has tapered off as the BP have become more and more established. I increased my feedings over the past two weeks and am slowly bringing my GFO offline. My thinking is that will bring the skimmate back to normal levels and lave some much needed nutrients in the water column, especially for the softies and LPS. Am I in the right line of thinking here? I figured as long as every change is slow and steady, I can freak the tank out too much.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still liking the garage sump? how the evap and condensation, and not temp since we're getting into summer..

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still liking the garage sump? how the evap and condensation, and not temp since we're getting into summer..

(Fingers crossed) so far so good! I have two cut pieces of insulation foam over the top with cutouts for the DT drain and the skimmer head. I was concerned about aeration and oxygen levels, but have not seen any significant evidence that it has been detrimental. Thankfully, that has all but eliminated any evaporation or garage condensation. I've been keeping a real close eye on the temps. Haven't had any big swings but the sump has gotten up to 82 (two weeks ago when the outside temp peaked at 100), but hasn't gotten above 81.5 in the DT. I think the long run through the crawlspace and the ambient house temp keeps it slightly cooler in the display. Granted we haven't gotten through July and August, but the insulated garage door really does help a lot. I have some clip on fans ready if need be as well. Even if I have to deal with that, all the upside I have had so far with room for equipment, ease of water changes, and noise reduction has really been worth it so far.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a apex correct? Hook up the clip on fans to it and program it to come on at a certain temp just incase you're not home when the temp does peak.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a apex correct? Hook up the clip on fans to it and program it to come on at a certain temp just incase you're not home when the temp does peak.
GREAT idea! I really need to spend some more time on my apex anyway. Only have it hooked up to my heater and skimmer as of now. My wireless adapter fried out and I haven't gotten my hands back on it since.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't use that Apex I'll gladly take it off of your hands. ;)

The fans in my stand are controlled by my RKL.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back