240 gallon build

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
After much debate between a 180 and 240 along with much brownie point earning with the wife, I settled on working towards setting up a 240 :llama:

After moving from a tiny apt in LA to having a space that will accomodate my dream tank, I feel a bit like a kid on Christmas. I'll most likely set it up as a FOWLR for the near term, but look forward to sharing it with all you kind folks.

Does anyone have any recs on a good skimmer for this size tank? I was looking at the reef octopus, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Hope to meet some new folks at this month's meeting!

-Nate

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
After much debate between a 180 and 240 along with much brownie point earning with the wife, I settled on working towards setting up a 240 :llama:

After moving from a tiny apt in LA to having a space that will accomodate my dream tank, I feel a bit like a kid on Christmas. I'll most likely set it up as a FOWLR for the near term, but look forward to sharing it with all you kind folks.

Does anyone have any recs on a good skimmer for this size tank? I was looking at the reef octopus, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Hope to meet some new folks at this month's meeting!

-Nate
The Reef Octopus XP5000 External will serve this size tank be it FOWLR or full Reef in the future if you go that route. I have been very happy with their performance on several different tanks and other than a Vertex or Bubble King you can't go wrong. JMO
Bill

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome! Where are you getting the tank and what are the dimension?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I told you that you'll be my new best friend if you get a 240. Lol. Especially if its 8x2x2 because that is my dream tank!
Best of luck and let me know if I can help with anything. I have a SRO skimmer and I really like it.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome! Where are you getting the tank and what are the dimension?
Thanks Chris! I'm looking at 8x2x2 since I tend to like the scaping options on a longer tank. As for where I'm getting it...I swear I have read up on just about every online and retail shop within 300 miles and all the good,bad, and ugly reviews. In the past I've had a 125 glass, a 75 acrylic, and a few glass nanos so I have been leaning towards acrylic, but have also contemplated a starphire tank. How's that for a terrible answer. Since I at least know the size, I'm working on getting all the proper gear first. I'm certainly open to opinions and thoughts on what material to get and where from.

Following. I told you that you'll be my new best friend if you get a 240. Lol. Especially if its 8x2x2 because that is my dream tank!
Best of luck and let me know if I can help with anything. I have a SRO skimmer and I really like it.
Looks like we're going to have to be new best friends then! Haha, I attached a picture of where I'm putting the tank and the 8ft just seems to fill the space better don't you think?
tank outline.jpg

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8ft tank would be sweet! I definitely recommend starphire. It makes a HUGE difference. Here's a pic from my first tank to illustrate the difference:

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the 8 foot looks much better to me. Maybe ask MrSaltwaterTank about tank options as he just set up an 8 foot 375 gallon tank not too long ago.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, 8'!! Awesome.
I'm sure hoping so! I know it'll be a work in progress for a bit, but should be worth it. At least I keep telling my wife that haha :)

An 8ft tank would be sweet! I definitely recommend starphire. It makes a HUGE difference. Here's a pic from my first tank to illustrate the difference:

Brandon
Wow that really does make an incredible difference, there's virtually no tint at all!

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the 8 foot looks much better to me. Maybe ask MrSaltwaterTank about tank options as he just set up an 8 foot 375 gallon tank not too long ago.

Great idea Ryan and I didn't realize he was a local reefer but have seen his videas on youtube the past few years. That 375 tank is pretty much incredible. Sent him a PM and he got right back and mentioned that he didnt think acrylic or starphire were worth the extra and to just go with a standard glass setup. He also re-iterated what I have seen everywhere, which is to avoid getting a tank through GC. Definitely appreciate all the feedback from everyone and hopefully I can lockdown a tank/stand by my birthday in the next few weeks.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! He's a great asset to the hobby and to our local club. Glad he replied and helped out. Keep us posted on your. Decisions and or questions.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because I can't decide on the tank yet, last night I was digging through lighting and found a guys selling some Kessil 350's. Anyone think that would be crazy overkill for this tank since it will be FOWLR, maybe some softies at some point? If so, I'm thinking some boostled or rapidled par 38's would probably do the trick?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always nice to keep your options open, especially with lighting. I don't know much about those Kessil lights.

OP
OP
Volitans67

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, slow but steady progress. Getting my floors reinforced Sunday, should be done by the time the meeting rolls around. Ordering the skimmer today since BRS sent out a 12% coupon, figured might as well. Was also contemplating grabbing a RO/DI system from them. Any recommendations??

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, slow but steady progress. Getting my floors reinforced Sunday, should be done by the time the meeting rolls around. Ordering the skimmer today since BRS sent out a 12% coupon, figured might as well. Was also contemplating grabbing a RO/DI system from them. Any recommendations??
PM sent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back