250 Reefer Stocking Help

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! First post here after months of lurking and appreciate all of the information.
I am trying to get advice on a long term stocking list that will be relatively beginner friendly and go well together as well as be reef safe.

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250 ( 54g display, 11g sump). I will have a shallow sand bed and plan on having some of the soft and easy coral in the future. I am about to start cycling my tank and figured now was the time to plan it out.

This is my current short list. Not everything on here will go in but I would like to incorporate as many as possible. I am open to other suggestions if I am missing any fish that should be here.

More or less in order of preference
1) Pair of ocellaris clownfish
2)Six Line Wrasse
3)Yellow Watchman/Yasha Goby & Pistol Shrimp- I only like the Goby as a combo with the shrimp.
4)Flame Hawkfish- Will he eat future CUC?
5)Fairy Wrasse
5)Starry Blenny- Also considered Lawnmower instead for algae control
6)Coral Beauty
7)Coris Wrasse
8)Royal Gramma
9)Flasher Wrasse
10)Green Chromis
11)Banggai cardinalfish

I really like Wrasses but am worried the Six Line wont work so have included some others. Are coral Beauties reef safe long term?
Can I safely fit 10 of these in a 55?

Thanks everyone in advance!
I think everything in here would probably be fine (perhaps not at once) if you realistically had enough negative space to allow for lots of hiding, small and large, with flow and you have established a decent tank with some means of nutrient export. I don't think this is possible early on, simply due to the size of the tank and potentially the level of flow you may end up requiring. If you are also considering corals, SPS corals will require lots of flow and a small watchman goby will likely be swept away, especially with the Coral Beauty, which could and has (in a previous case) bullied it right out of its hiding spot into the current and then into the overflow. The pistol shrimp is cool but might be a threat to such fish.

You have several omnivores and fish that really need some algae to eat and live. The coral beauty is one of such fish and while most you'll encounter do eat prepared foods, you'll see this fish pecking away at walls and the like for algae. I would also choose one or two of these wrasse but not four and you'll want a lid for sure. While not all agree with this, you'll want to QT at least a few of these fish as they are known to have parasites or be more susceptible to them.

While I have seen people put about ten fish or so, six to seven are probably near limit since they will grow in size. Mine currently has several soft and LPS corals, but also two clowns, three chromis and a tomini tang that will be moved in a few years after its done its duty for algae control.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everything in here would probably be fine (perhaps not at once) if you realistically had enough negative space to allow for lots of hiding, small and large, with flow and you have established a decent tank with some means of nutrient export. I don't think this is possible early on, simply due to the size of the tank and potentially the level of flow you may end up requiring. If you are also considering corals, SPS corals will require lots of flow and a small watchman goby will likely be swept away, especially with the Coral Beauty, which could and has (in a previous case) bullied it right out of its hiding spot into the current and then into the overflow. The pistol shrimp is cool but might be a threat to such fish.

You have several omnivores and fish that really need some algae to eat and live. The coral beauty is one of such fish and while most you'll encounter do eat prepared foods, you'll see this fish pecking away at walls and the like for algae. I would also choose one or two of these wrasse but not four and you'll want a lid for sure. While not all agree with this, you'll want to QT at least a few of these fish as they are known to have parasites or be more susceptible to them.

While I have seen people put about ten fish or so, six to seven are probably near limit since they will grow in size. Mine currently has several soft and LPS corals, but also two clowns, three chromis and a tomini tang that will be moved in a few years after its done its duty for algae control.
I have changed my list a bit based on some feedback from others. Here is my current list (Coral Beauty and shrimp removed due to potential issues). I have an oversized pump so I can change flow as needed, would a Diamond goby do better with high flow? I have a few small caves but not much coral growth yet. I plan on carbon dosing for nutrient export, and agree 4 wrasses sounds like a bit much. I have 6/7 fish now and just don’t think it is enough for my tastes. I would be much happier with 10-12 personally and am trying to figure out who can play nice together long term while I handle water parameters.
Have
2)Pair of Halichoeres chrysus-removing 1 soon
3)Flame Hawkfish
4)Starry Blenny
5)Royal Gramma

Plan on adding next
6)Pintail Fairy Wrasse/Radiant Wrasse
7)Naoko Fairy Wrasse/Christmas Wrasse
8)Green Chromis x3-Might remove due to disease
9)Diamond Goby- Was told they might need more established tank
10)Pair of Bengi Cardinals

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of these and with the risk involved vs cost, I would likely add the chromis and bengi cardinals. Those would fill out the middle and top really well and don't mind chasing food, so long as its mysis or similar. My chromis are weird and will eat pellets, sinking or floating but the bengi cardinals are totally against pellets.

You can do a coral beauty but they are a 50% against LPS corals, some sting enough to keep away but the fleshy ones at the bottom are what most are concerned about. I hear and have observed, that if they are fed well and introduced early on to not being starved, they will not bother your corals in all probability.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of these and with the risk involved vs cost, I would likely add the chromis and bengi cardinals. Those would fill out the middle and top really well and don't mind chasing food, so long as its mysis or similar. My chromis are weird and will eat pellets, sinking or floating but the bengi cardinals are totally against pellets.

You can do a coral beauty but they are a 50% against LPS corals, some sting enough to keep away but the fleshy ones at the bottom are what most are concerned about. I hear and have observed, that if they are fed well and introduced early on to not being starved, they will not bother your corals in all probability.
Thanks for the advice! I really like acans and Favia so I am avoiding the Beauty’s. I am really worried about the Chromis getting uronema. Any advice or tips for avoiding them bringing it in? All fish in my system are from Dr.Reefs (very quarantined), inverts from fishless systems, and corals dipped heavy before entry. I am very much trying to avoid any serious disease and would hate it if a $15 fish brought them in.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the help. I ended up ordering the last of my fish and have the actual final stocking list. After some back and forth I felt 2 wrasses and 12 fish were more than enough for a Red Sea 250. Will be back when I eventually make that next tank upgrade.

Final List
2) Halichoeres chrysus Wrasse
3)Flame Hawkfish
4)Starry Blenny
5)Royal Gramma
6)Pintail Fairy Wrasse
7)Pair of Bengi Cardinals
8)Green Chromis x3- Hoping to be disease free

Gadbery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 250 myself. My stock list is pretty close to yours. Just finishing the cycle. I used 60 pounds of sand in my tank.

planned stock
Pair of clowns
Halichoeres chrysus (yellow wrasse)
Watchman goby of sorts
Longnose hawkfish
Blenny (not sure which yet)
Maybe few cromis to finish

my rock work is really cave/negative space scaped. First ever salt tank so pretty pumped. Pic for tank reference

Attachments

• 64FAB162-AD9E-4741-8D14-D3E3786AEF3A.jpeg
    64FAB162-AD9E-4741-8D14-D3E3786AEF3A.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 250 myself. My stock list is pretty close to yours. Just finishing the cycle. I used 60 pounds of sand in my tank.

planned stock
Pair of clowns
Halichoeres chrysus (yellow wrasse)
Watchman goby of sorts
Longnose hawkfish
Blenny (not sure which yet)
Maybe few cromis to finish

my rock work is really cave/negative space scaped. First ever salt tank so pretty pumped. Pic for tank reference
Looking good! Sounds like we have a very similar build setup. I recommend the starry Blenny over the others but that might just be personal preference. I am enjoying the 250 but wish there was more space in the stand…..completely full with no space now that I have all my equipment.

Gadbery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Sounds like we have a very similar build setup. I recommend the starry Blenny over the others but that might just be personal preference. I am enjoying the 250 but wish there was more space in the stand…..completely full with no space now that I have all my equipment.
Ya I put my 5 gallon RO top off behind the tank between it and the wall. Velcro mounted everything else up on the walls. Keeping all the testing stuff and non needed stuff off in a closet. To keep room down there for a dosing setup eventually

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll eventually have to rehome one of the two Chrysus. These will both become male eventually and you’ll end up having them fight (If you have a photo of both I can try and estimate how long you have with the two).
I’d also remove the Diamond Goby due to issues with their care, such as needing a deep established sand bed to feed from.

Other than that I would say that’s a nice amount of wrasses :)
And to replace the chrysus eventually you can get one of the Halichoeres you wanted previously (Halichoeres biocellatus).
Reviving this to ask- I have had both of these for about a year now and have experienced 0 fighting issues. They keep to themselves mostly but occasionally swim together/in the same space with no aggression. Am I lucky/are they fine because they came from the same batch? Or do you still think I should re-home one and they are just waiting to go at each other?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back