250 Reefer Stocking Help

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! First post here after months of lurking and appreciate all of the information.
I am trying to get advice on a long term stocking list that will be relatively beginner friendly and go well together as well as be reef safe.

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250 ( 54g display, 11g sump). I will have a shallow sand bed and plan on having some of the soft and easy coral in the future. I am about to start cycling my tank and figured now was the time to plan it out.

This is my current short list. Not everything on here will go in but I would like to incorporate as many as possible. I am open to other suggestions if I am missing any fish that should be here.

More or less in order of preference
1) Pair of ocellaris clownfish
2)Six Line Wrasse
3)Yellow Watchman/Yasha Goby & Pistol Shrimp- I only like the Goby as a combo with the shrimp.
4)Flame Hawkfish- Will he eat future CUC?
5)Fairy Wrasse
5)Starry Blenny- Also considered Lawnmower instead for algae control
6)Coral Beauty
7)Coris Wrasse
8)Royal Gramma
9)Flasher Wrasse
10)Green Chromis
11)Banggai cardinalfish

I really like Wrasses but am worried the Six Line wont work so have included some others. Are coral Beauties reef safe long term?
Can I safely fit 10 of these in a 55?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions.

Ditch the 6 line for a pair of springari Damsels.

You're going to need a bit more than a shallow sandbed if you intend to house the gobies mentioned.

Which fairy wrasse you choose will be dependent on if it is appropriate and will work with your other members. Do you have a more specific idea?

A small coral beauty would be fine for a while if you have a lot of rockwork.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springari Damsels look awesome. Was on the fence about the 6 line but easy enough to cross them off.

I am putting in 40 pounds of sand for about a 1.25 inch bed all around. Will that be enough for the Goby? If not would 2 inches be enough? I could add another bad but not wanting a bed over 2 inches.

I was thinking Lubbocks fairy wrasse or Pintail fairy wrasse. Am open to other suggestions though as I have yet to see a bland looking one.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springari Damsels look awesome. Was on the fence about the 6 line but easy enough to cross them off.

I am putting in 40 pounds of sand for about a 1.25 inch bed all around. Will that be enough for the Goby? If not would 2 inches be enough? I could add another bad but not wanting a bed over 2 inches.

I was thinking Lubbocks fairy wrasse or Pintail fairy wrasse. Am open to other suggestions though as I have yet to see a bland looking one.
If you used the reply to button, it tags people back to continue the discussion.

6 lines do eat, but a lot of them also burn into insufferable tank bullies. They are also big jumpers when spooked.Springari don't jump, don't have an attitude, and eat all the same pests.

2" would be my Minimum for sand dwelling goby and sand sleeping Wrasses

Pintail or Lubbock's would both do ok in that size. Try to get one on the smaller end.

A tight fitting screen lid is a Must with your fish list or you will be replacing them often.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used the reply to button, it tags people back to continue the discussion.

6 lines do eat, but a lot of them also burn into insufferable tank bullies. They are also big jumpers when spooked.Springari don't jump, don't have an attitude, and eat all the same pests.

2" would be my Minimum for sand dwelling goby and sand sleeping Wrasses

Pintail or Lubbock's would both do ok in that size. Try to get one on the smaller end.

A tight fitting screen lid is a Must with your fish list or you will be replacing them often.
Thanks I had no idea!
Guess I will pick up another bag of sand to hit that mark. Are there any other fairy wrasse that are smaller in size?
I will have a lid on the tank by the time fish go in so shouldn't be an issue.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I had no idea!
Guess I will pick up another bag of sand to hit that mark. Are there any other fairy wrasse that are smaller in size?
I will have a lid on the tank by the time fish go in so shouldn't be an issue.
Do yourself a favor and wash All of your sand in 5 gallon buckets BEFORE putting them in the tank.

There are a Gang of Fairy's out there. Most grow to about the same size.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and wash All of your sand in 5 gallon buckets BEFORE putting them in the tank.

There are a Gang of Fairy's out there. Most grow to about the same size.
Do you wash "Live" Sand before putting it in the tank? I have washed normal sand in the past in freshwater tanks but have seen countless videos of people pouring this type of sand straight in to the tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wash "Live" Sand before putting it in the tank? I have washed normal sand in the past in freshwater tanks but have seen countless videos of people pouring this type of sand straight in to the tank.
They also have cloudy tanks for a few days....

Yes you do. Firstly, the amount of bacteria that is colonizing that "live" sand, is dismal, it's more like Inoculated sand haha . The cooler part, washing in fresh water does not kill off your bacteria.

I just helped a buddy move his tank, and asked if he was planning on washing the sand. He said no. I said I was then. I did, called him out to see how Nasty the pre washed, live sand is.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! First post here after months of lurking and appreciate all of the information.
I am trying to get advice on a long term stocking list that will be relatively beginner friendly and go well together as well as be reef safe.

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250 ( 54g display, 11g sump). I will have a shallow sand bed and plan on having some of the soft and easy coral in the future. I am about to start cycling my tank and figured now was the time to plan it out.

This is my current short list. Not everything on here will go in but I would like to incorporate as many as possible. I am open to other suggestions if I am missing any fish that should be here.

More or less in order of preference
2)Six Line Wrasse
3)Yellow Watchman/Yasha Goby & Pistol Shrimp- I only like the Goby as a combo with the shrimp.
4)Flame Hawkfish- Will he eat future CUC?
5)Fairy Wrasse
5)Starry Blenny- Also considered Lawnmower instead for algae control
6)Coral Beauty
7)Coris Wrasse
8)Royal Gramma
9)Flasher Wrasse
10)Green Chromis
11)Banggai cardinalfish

I really like Wrasses but am worried the Six Line wont work so have included some others. Are coral Beauties reef safe long term?
Can I safely fit 10 of these in a 55?

Thanks everyone in advance!
+1 on ditching the six line. However the springers damsels are still jumpers (ALL fish can and will jump they just need the smallest gap and a reason for it). Honestly, I’ve found the springers are worse than wrasses when it comes to pests (I call them Weed Animals - Animals in the wrong place basically).
Ditch the flasher wrasse, these need Atleast a 4’ tank minimum to happily thrive long term. These will also hate non-hierarchal aggression.
Coris Wrasse is also a ditch, these just get too big and too fast. They also get highly aggressive with age and will not like other wrasse buddies.

Now, for the Wrasses I wouldn’t go for a lubbocki (I own two and they are all over my 4’ tank, they just love it). If you want to go for a wrasse then the Pintail Fairy will be better as they don’t seem to dart around as much (Not saying they wont, it’s just more unlikely). Another wrasse I have found good for smaller tanks is Cirrhilabrus naokoae- The Naoko Fairy Wrasse. I’ll add a photo of mine below however he doesn’t get too aggressive or active unless my Lubbock’s truly test him.
33CD651E-CEE1-4930-9AD9-DA15734E3ACA.jpeg

For “pest” hunting wrasses look into the smaller species of Halichoeres. These are great at “pest” hunting, and honestly I’ve still not found a fish better than them. These will however need a minimum of a 2” sandbed. This will be due to they use it to sleep in, or hide in when frightened/stressed. As for what ones I recommend personally, a starting point is;
- Halichoeres iridis (I own this species and I will never not own one)
- Halichoeres chrysus (I think of this guy as a Yellow Tang that was flattened)
- Halichoeres leucoxanthus (This is another one I’ve owned and the one I owned was amazing at hunting “pests”)
- Halichoeres timorensis
- Halichoeres biocellatus

I wouldn’t do the Salarias species unless you can find any that are already eating in the LFS. These are notoriously difficult to get feeding on frozen let alone dry foods.

With the goby you want, I would go for Stonogobiops yasha instead of the Cryptocentrus cinctus- This is personal preference as I do own both currently. These also stay much smaller and you can pair with a reasonably sized pistol shrimp - Alpheus randalli - instead of going for a large goby (C. cinctus) and a small pistol shrimp (A. randalli). Or you could go for a large goby with a reasonably sized pistol shrimp (A. bellulus).
As I said, this is just a oersonal preference however it may work for you as well.

I will add my thoughts on the others in the morning as it’s late for me currently (11:25pm) so my brain isn’t too good right now.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have cloudy tanks for a few days....

Yes you do. Firstly, the amount of bacteria that is colonizing that "live" sand, is dismal, it's more like Inoculated sand haha . The cooler part, washing in fresh water does not kill off your bacteria.

I just helped a buddy move his tank, and asked if he was planning on washing the sand. He said no. I said I was then. I did, called him out to see how Nasty the pre washed, live sand is.
Appreciate the advice there. As much as I love a cloudy tank I will give all the sand a good rinsing. Assuming RodI water for this? My normal go to is a garden hose at the bottom of a bucket.
+1 on ditching the six line. However the springers damsels are still jumpers (ALL fish can and will jump they just need the smallest gap and a reason for it). Honestly, I’ve found the springers are worse than wrasses when it comes to pests (I call them Weed Animals - Animals in the wrong place basically).
Ditch the flasher wrasse, these need Atleast a 4’ tank minimum to happily thrive long term. These will also hate non-hierarchal aggression.
Coris Wrasse is also a ditch, these just get too big and too fast. They also get highly aggressive with age and will not like other wrasse buddies.

Now, for the Wrasses I wouldn’t go for a lubbocki (I own two and they are all over my 4’ tank, they just love it). If you want to go for a wrasse then the Pintail Fairy will be better as they don’t seem to dart around as much (Not saying they wont, it’s just more unlikely). Another wrasse I have found good for smaller tanks is Cirrhilabrus naokoae- The Naoko Fairy Wrasse. I’ll add a photo of mine below however he doesn’t get too aggressive or active unless my Lubbock’s truly test him.
33CD651E-CEE1-4930-9AD9-DA15734E3ACA.jpeg

For “pest” hunting wrasses look into the smaller species of Halichoeres. These are great at “pest” hunting, and honestly I’ve still not found a fish better than them. These will however need a minimum of a 2” sandbed. This will be due to they use it to sleep in, or hide in when frightened/stressed. As for what ones I recommend personally, a starting point is;
- Halichoeres iridis (I own this species and I will never not own one)
- Halichoeres chrysus (I think of this guy as a Yellow Tang that was flattened)
- Halichoeres leucoxanthus (This is another one I’ve owned and the one I owned was amazing at hunting “pests”)
- Halichoeres timorensis
- Halichoeres biocellatus

I wouldn’t do the Salarias species unless you can find any that are already eating in the LFS. These are notoriously difficult to get feeding on frozen let alone dry foods.

With the goby you want, I would go for Stonogobiops yasha instead of the Cryptocentrus cinctus- This is personal preference as I do own both currently. These also stay much smaller and you can pair with a reasonably sized pistol shrimp - Alpheus randalli - instead of going for a large goby (C. cinctus) and a small pistol shrimp (A. randalli). Or you could go for a large goby with a reasonably sized pistol shrimp (A. bellulus).
As I said, this is just a oersonal preference however it may work for you as well.

I will add my thoughts on the others in the morning as it’s late for me currently (11:25pm) so my brain isn’t too good right now.
Are you saying ditch the springers? I am not sure how many "pest hunting" fish I need but hoping the wrasses can handle it. I am trying to lean into the whole idea of utilitarian fish to keep the tank clean and happy.
Upon second look I actually thought the Coris Wrasse was the Halichoeres chrysus so easy swap out for me. Love the idea and wanted a yellow tang originally so this fits the bill!
I like the options for the Goby. Most of what I have seen was at LFS or youtube videos so always great to see combos I missed.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garden hose with a pressure nozzle. Don't just wait for it to run over all by itself. Only fill to half a bucket, agitated with the nozzle until the bucket is full, Then dump that nasty water off the top and do it again. This takes significantly less time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice there. As much as I love a cloudy tank I will give all the sand a good rinsing. Assuming RodI water for this? My normal go to is a garden hose at the bottom of a bucket.

Are you saying ditch the springers? I am not sure how many "pest hunting" fish I need but hoping the wrasses can handle it. I am trying to lean into the whole idea of utilitarian fish to keep the tank clean and happy.
Upon second look I actually thought the Coris Wrasse was the Halichoeres chrysus so easy swap out for me. Love the idea and wanted a yellow tang originally so this fits the bill!
I like the options for the Goby. Most of what I have seen was at LFS or youtube videos so always great to see combos I missed.
I would get rid of the springers personally - If you want blue fish then the Blue Assessors can be less aggressive (I have dealt with some nasty springers in the past) and add the unusual swimming space.
I think I see where confusion is on the coris wrasses. One of the many common names used around the world (most commonly used in North America) is the Yellow Coris Wrasse. The reason this species isn’t a true coris is due to the genus it is in. The genus Coris is the genus of true coris wrasses, these can get huge, with some of them getting 4’ long in the case of Coris aygula. There are a couple species in the genus Halichoeres that are often confused with the true Coris wrasses as their common name often has “Coris” in the middle.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the springers personally - If you want blue fish then the Blue Assessors can be less aggressive (I have dealt with some nasty springers in the past) and add the unusual swimming space.
I think I see where confusion is on the coris wrasses. One of the many common names used around the world (most commonly used in North America) is the Yellow Coris Wrasse. The reason this species isn’t a true coris is due to the genus it is in. The genus Coris is the genus of true coris wrasses, these can get huge, with some of them getting 4’ long in the case of Coris aygula. There are a couple species in the genus Halichoeres that are often confused with the true Coris wrasses as their common name often has “Coris” in the middle.
Revised List with the wrasse changes and other omissions. Also in order of how I plan on introducing to the tank.
Can I fit any more in at max capacity or am I overloaded for a 54g? Not opposed to running heavy biomedia in sump.

2)Halichoeres chrysus
3)Stonogobiops yasha Goby & Alpheus randalli Pistol Shrimp
4)Starry Blenny
5)Pintail Fairy Wrasse
5)Flame Hawkfish- Still Unsure
6)Halichoeres biocellatus Wrasse- Replaced Coral Beauty
7)Royal Gramma
8)Green Chromis x3

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revised List with the wrasse changes and other omissions. Also in order of how I plan on introducing to the tank.
Can I fit any more in at max capacity or am I overloaded for a 54g? Not opposed to running heavy biomedia in sump.

2)Halichoeres chrysus
3)Stonogobiops yasha Goby & Alpheus randalli Pistol Shrimp
4)Starry Blenny
5)Pintail Fairy Wrasse
5)Flame Hawkfish- Still Unsure
6)Halichoeres biocellatus Wrasse- Replaced Coral Beauty
7)Royal Gramma
8)Green Chromis x3
That sounds like a great stocking plan, if you were to run heavier media in the sump you may be able to have a few more low activity fish once corals build even more territory.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated stocking list based on some recent acquisitions. Still sound reasonable?

Have
2)Pair of Halichoeres chrysus
3)Flame Hawkfish
4)Starry Blenny
5)Royal Gramma

Plan on adding next
6)Pintail Fairy Wrasse
7)Naoko Fairy Wrasse
8)Green Chromis x3
9)Diamond Goby
10)Pair of Bengi Cardinals

Is this too many wrasses?
Is 15 Fish too many for this tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated stocking list based on some recent acquisitions. Still sound reasonable?

Have
2)Pair of Halichoeres chrysus
3)Flame Hawkfish
4)Starry Blenny
5)Royal Gramma

Plan on adding next
6)Pintail Fairy Wrasse
7)Naoko Fairy Wrasse
8)Green Chromis x3
9)Diamond Goby
10)Pair of Bengi Cardinals

Is this too many wrasses?
Is 15 Fish too many for this tank?
Youll eventually have to rehome one of the two Chrysus. These will both become male eventually and you’ll end up having them fight (If you have a photo of both I can try and estimate how long you have with the two).
I’d also remove the Diamond Goby due to issues with their care, such as needing a deep established sand bed to feed from.

Other than that I would say that’s a nice amount of wrasses :)
And to replace the chrysus eventually you can get one of the Halichoeres you wanted previously (Halichoeres biocellatus).

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll eventually have to rehome one of the two Chrysus. These will both become male eventually and you’ll end up having them fight (If you have a photo of both I can try and estimate how long you have with the two).
I’d also remove the Diamond Goby due to issues with their care, such as needing a deep established sand bed to feed from.

Other than that I would say that’s a nice amount of wrasses :)
And to replace the chrysus eventually you can get one of the Halichoeres you wanted previously (Halichoeres biocellatus).
Dang, I was hoping I could keep both. Supplier accidentally sent 2 instead of 1 but am really enjoying the dynamic. Picture of them both below. They are still small and seem to get along well. These guys are machines and literally watch the rocks non stop.
I am surprised the Diamond goby will be hard to keep. Any ways I can get around it such as over feeding pellets or an alternative utility fish for the sand? Trying to avoid issues with my 2-3 inch sand bed long term.
4652D200-5E8B-43AF-85E1-52393EA487AA.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I was hoping I could keep both. Supplier accidentally sent 2 instead of 1 but am really enjoying the dynamic. Picture of them both below. They are still small and seem to get along well. These guys are machines and literally watch the rocks non stop.
I am surprised the Diamond goby will be hard to keep. Any ways I can get around it such as over feeding pellets or an alternative utility fish for the sand? Trying to avoid issues with my 2-3 inch sand bed long term.
4652D200-5E8B-43AF-85E1-52393EA487AA.jpeg
Both of those wrasses are juvenile so you will have a good year with them (Maybe 2 at a push).
As for the Diamond Goby, I would replace him with about 5-6 Nassarrius Snails.

OP
OP
D

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to rethink the Chromis. I am doing more research as I prep to put in an order and everywhere I turn people act like it is the hardest fish to care for even if you have a proper quarantine procedure. I plan on ordering from Dr. Reefs again but even they can’t guarantee it won’t have uronema or pick each other off over time. Would Anthias be a good substitute? And if so what kind? The main reason I want to add them is to have a nice group of dither fish.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to rethink the Chromis. I am doing more research as I prep to put in an order and everywhere I turn people act like it is the hardest fish to care for even if you have a proper quarantine procedure. I plan on ordering from Dr. Reefs again but even they can’t guarantee it won’t have uronema or pick each other off over time. Would Anthias be a good substitute? And if so what kind? The main reason I want to add them is to have a nice group of dither fish.
With how Anthias swim, I personally don't think they are suitable for this size tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back