25g IM lagoon mid century build. 11 mo's. Should I put my clown in here?.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I brought home:

A carpenters wrasse. Hopefully I see him/her soon after dripping it in, it hid. But, the lights are out and don't come on for 3.5 more hours.
[Insert] he is hiding [JPG]
And a dead sea hare.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I witnessed either a cold blooded murder or a relatively expensive sushi snack for my giant schnauzer tonight...

I lifted the screen off the top of my tank to get inside and do some manual GHA removal. When I sat the top to the side, for whatever reason my new carpenters wrasse jumped out.

At first I was mortified. But, he landed in a shag rug. I breathed a sigh of relief as I reached over to pick him up. My dude was faster and ate a $60 fish.

A long time ago a fellow said to me that if I couldn't light a $100 bill on fire and not flinch I was in the wrong hobby. Well I did that Saturday. Bought a dead sea hare and flasher wrasse sashimi. I patted my dude on the head and asked if it was tasty.

So if anyone wants to recommend a way to liven up my display please share.

25 lagoon 24 wide19 front to back and 11 deep.

I have a surly flame hawk, a chalk bass, and a purple firefish. I went the colorful invert path with a fire shrimp. Let's talk fish. Name one or two that should be ok with this motley crew (Crue). Colorful and confident but not clowns. I'm even about open to considering damsels at this point...

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Tank Thread, or whatever you identify as...

Sorry about the fish/hare loss! Flaming prawn goby, maybe? Although I'd worry about the flame hawk. Midas blenny was mentioned. Pair of pink streak wrasses would be cool.
I'd love a pair of pink streaks. I worry about the flame with them also. It's why I tried a carpenters instead.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Possum Wrasses

1690291558736.png

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bold, and maybe a bit too close to Flame Hawk now that I think about it. Hmm...I'll have to think on it. Not interested in a 6line? Maybe I missed something earlier in the thread.
Yes I'm sorta interested and a 6 line is the one small wrasse with the attitude cope with the hawk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a minute since I've updated my tank thread. So let's start with a picture of my tiny little acro sticks. Let me know if you guys like the color temp here. I have filters and aacro lense. But I took this with the Google camera using only a flash and the temp slider to straighten out the colors.
PXL_20230802_062413858~2.jpg

I'm keeping nutrients in check.
20 ppm nitrates

Barely registering phos (I'd like a little more and have started feeding PE mysis pellets daily to help.

ALK is dropping about 1dkh per week. I may go ahead and start AFR tonight/tomorrow.

Cal is 420 - 470.

I am running my skimmer during lights on, and my algae scrubber during lights off.

Everything is full of polyps all the time now, light on or off, feeding or not. Everything is basing out. Monti's (I like them and have a few) are starting to grow. My hydnophora is happy, I think. I've never had one but this one never closes, and I can see where it's starting to spread across its rock.

I still have room for a gold lepto and two or three more acros. I' m not sure which ones. But I am sure the LFS will have what I want one day.

Getting water ready for a dose of flatworm exit. I found some white planaria a week ago and dosed. I killed a bunch. But I went to the cautious side. I still have some. I'm getting ready to drop the hammer on them tonight.

Here are a couple of shots of the coral for posterity before the water change tonight.

Hydnophora spewing mucous after a meal.
PXL_20230802_063915156.jpg

PXL_20230802_063934630.jpg

Trying to get these two to whirl on each other but I wanted more red on that side. Too much green already.
PXL_20230802_064002401.jpg

This is my favorite piece of all so far. I bought it with the name of "blue polyps green monti cap". It came in brown and brown. It's certainly green with blue polyps. But I'm starting to pick up a pink growth edge. Until it's big enough to identify it is hence forth dubbed the Surfer on Acid Monti Cap. Yeah, I am working on that algae.
PXL_20230802_064249066.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230802_063947845.jpg

There is also this acro that I'm kind of excited by. No idea what it's called. But instead of whitish bubble gum pink that it was at the LFS, Its now purple, pink and neon yellow.
PXL_20230802_065110015~3.jpg

Last edited:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update, tank is really coming into it's own now.

Hydnophora is one of my favourites in my tank. I have some JF Limelight, and it's just such an interesting coral.

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sapphire or talbot damsel and a midas blenny. When I had a pair of IM Fusion tanks I had a wide assortment of fish including two prized mandarins which I got switched to frozen.
I have a Talbot Damsel. Love that little dude, active a friendly. Very Pretty

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update, tank is really coming into it's own now.

Hydnophora is one of my favourites in my tank. I have some JF Limelight, and it's just such an interesting coral.
I appreciate that buddy. I have always liked hydnophora a lot. But I've always been hesitant due to the sweepers this apparently has. So far, I have it out on an isolated rock in the sand. I haven't seen a single sweeper.

How fast does yours grow?

I have a Talbot Damsel. Love that little dude, active a friendly. Very Pretty
I think I've settled in on a Damsel. Talbot or a Pavo. But I have a very reclusive fire fish. I think for his sake, I'm gonna keep it at three for a bit. I don't imagine it's gonna live much longer to be honest. He comes out from his cave every now and then grabs some mysis or brine then darts back to his hole.

If he passes away, it's a real possibility, then I'm gonna stock with more aggressive small fish.

I rolled the dice on a flame hawk. I've never seen this one bully. I've never seen any flame hawk bully in fact. But, the firefish is clearly not interested in making friends.

One more update. We all know what this means. I had just a few yesterday. My nitrates are still around 20. I need to get my phosphates up. They are barely registering. I have some loudwolf phos something I may look up and dose tonight. Hopefully this is a short war. I hate dinos.
PXL_20230805_004909974~2.jpg

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a green hydrnophora that’s been in my tank and I’ve never seen any sweepers from it. I wouldn’t say it grows fast. But then again all my sps seem to be crawling along so don’t think I’m a good judge on speed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back