R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that was a lot of work for two days
Thank you for all your help.
I’m sorry I couldn’t have better updates. Tomorrow I will put rock work back and put in corals. I’m still lost on what to do with fish for now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jays link about palytoxin risk didn’t seem like a set of small potatoes. If you were the one who posted it I could find more validity and application from your posts. A job this big has many potential variables ranging from the sand itself to rock pokes and allergies and the palys as the cherry on top. This becomes good learning for others, as they read for preps and heed concerns.

and at the very end, fish that need quarantined are going back into the non fallow tank, after 24 hours of pure stress

that circumvents the entire effort, all the risk. When people begin a rip clean I feel responsible for the outcome, this can’t be discerned by virtual reality on the sidelines.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I couldn’t have better updates. Tomorrow I will put rock work back and put in corals. I’m still lost on what to do with fish for now.
If ….. sand is rinsed and tank is not cloudy .
they could go back Into the display .
But if disease is suspected as mentioned. .
They should stay in the “vacation “ tank
And observe for disease .

medicate without rocks in the tank if necessary

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm ha ha ha
Re-read my post 94 on page 5 which has a quote from myself in post 52 from page 3 lol
Hi @rusty dowell now resisent diesese expert seems like swaying more to fish diesese did you ever get any advice about fish i showed in post 52? As on that orange shoulder tang looks like got something on its back end.

Let me see if can quote it to get picture

If not,you now 2 days behind but maybe good idea to ask Jay and show him pictures of this tang or any signs on any fish that not normal and say any behaviours like swimming Into powerhead,loss of appetite,spots,marks,loss of colour and the like to get an opinion and decide if or what medication will or won't use as like I said other day and jay said earlier a parasite could of been in your tank long time but low numbers or added in recently and huge stress event caused fish to get weaken and give upper hand.

Also the purple tang I think it is in your post 54 I noticed other day looked to have cloudy skin / excess mucus, is this just the cloudy tank or glass or the actual fish ?

As I say im no fish diesese expert but that's what my opinion was the other day and still advise best to ask Jay's advice on your fish now he saying what he said so you can have some kind of plan in hand

anyway wish you good luck ^_^

Screenshot_20220102-232421_Chrome.jpg
A good option is here from 2 days now ^_^

But again jay is resident fish diesese here on r2r so imo be good idea to show him pictures if your fish especially orange shoulder tang and maybe one of your purple tangs and tell him as much information as possible about how they look and act ( read post 52 and 94 of mine ) since your very first post the other day and said you cleaned sand 2 months prior to having fish loss,I had inkling wasnt sand the problem or wasn't continued problem anyway ,but again I'm not fish diesese expert and still say ask Jay's advice and jay hemdals current diesese protocol is in my post 52 on page 3 .

Goodluck ^_%

OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beer time .

cheers !
Jays link about palytoxin risk didn’t seem like a set of small potatoes. If you were the one who posted it I could find more validity and application from your posts. A job this big has many potential variables ranging from the sand itself to rock pokes and allergies and the palys as the cherry on top. This becomes good learning for others, as they read for preps and heed concerns.

and at the very end, fish that need quarantined are going back into the non fallow tank, after 24 hours of pure stress

that circumvents the entire effort, all the risk. When people begin a rip clean I feel responsible for the outcome, this can’t be discerned by virtual reality on the sidelines.
Do I need to get a bigger Quarantine tank?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refilling here with cloudy chalk water isn’t harmful like cloudy detritus water from pent up waste. It obscures our ability to gauge and guarantee skip cycle reassembly by having unnecessarily milky water

we do clean laser clear reassembles in all prep links provided page one because that enduring water clarity for the week after reassembly is the marker of safety, that keeps 20 year investments going strong for another two decs

if fish die from velvet or other maladies found in the original losses here in a cloudy wait for flocculation settling, we have no way to separate causatives other than just assume the final price for adding in unprepped tangs has come to account.

all the original recommends to read before taking action were designed to save the reef, this is the first time I can see we also need preps to ensure the humans are safe. It’s rare agreed, that risk, but I didn’t read Jays stance as passive and unconcerned either. This was quite a ride, I’m sure the reassembly will go ok and eventually some degree of decent disease prep will be required, prompted most likely by loss of the current stock. Can re fallow at that point, hope it doesn’t happen.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe a 30 gallon rusty ?
And you have 8 clownfish ?
2 purple tangs ?
1 orange shoulder tang?
1 regal tang?
1 copperband ?
What I can see anyway ?
But want to minimise aggression and make as stress free as possible and give hiding spaces and places for fish to go incase extra aggression because smaller tank ,extra surface agitation/ extra 02 in tank ,enough water changes to remove ambonia and or filter to remove amnonia and heated saltwater at correct level depending on medication used if any.

These are the things I would be adding or wanting to do in a qt tank ,Paul b and tamberav between them advocate for trying to make qt tank more stress free by using bricks or plastic ornaments or plastic plants and the like rather than white pvc plumbing elbows as want to make fish feel as comfortable as you can so I can see this method works .
Good luck

OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Attachments

• AF364987-50C1-4DD9-8C91-291ED84C2DA2.jpeg
    AF364987-50C1-4DD9-8C91-291ED84C2DA2.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 3FD316B7-A5EB-437B-BA21-0F7E287D4292.jpeg
    3FD316B7-A5EB-437B-BA21-0F7E287D4292.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 507C4788-6856-4DA2-9091-B0A21E073F78.jpeg
    507C4788-6856-4DA2-9091-B0A21E073F78.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 152

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What on earth? I think you should see a physician right away, especially if this resulted from your aquarium!

Palytoxin is one (albeit rare) issue, but there are also serious bacteria that commonly live in our aquariums that can enter through breaks in people’s skin.

I offer folks preventative health tips for their fish and for more safely working around their aquarium, but I draw the line at giving human medical advice once a problem has already shown up (and see disclaimer below). However - If that was my arm in the last photo, I would see a physician today!

Jay

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m counting six direct requests 24 hours ago to go the Dr.

Rusty, go to the Dr. and tell them you handled marine substrates

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I said 'out' what I really meant was: updates

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc here... Just came across this.
I would highly recommend you seek medical attention sooner rather than later!! if you haven't done so already... Please say that you have.
What I see is a severe dermatitis and/or cellulitis with pustules, with signs of deeper infection in the cuts. This should be evaluated and if left untreated, could result in sepsis.
Very important to let the doc know you work with marine systems so they can treat appropriately.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been checking Rustys presence on the forum, glad it shows active recently. For a while there wasn't any presence for a week/ concerning.

Hope your skip cycle worked Rusty and that they gave you some topical meds and all is ok

OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
I went to the doctor She gave me antibiotics oral and topical.
That was a brutal week,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 purple tangs (they look bad)
2 clowns, flame angel and a cleaner wrasse.
I lost about 20 fish in total, and several corals.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you are ok, whew.

Regarding the fish loss where did that occur: during holding, or after adding back to the main tank, what do you feel is the main takeaway for preserving the fish given a do over if one was possible

the reef itself looks bright and clean/corals bright etc.

it will be hard to separate fish disease from the rip clean event but to know at which stage they died may give disease analysts some idea. given this much overall tank changeup its not likely to be able to pinpoint anything.

Back