OP
reefjunkieken

reefjunkieken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually a suction cup from the back of an old aqueon powerhead. I marked the shape of it on the egg crate and then cut it out to fit snug to the front of the suction cup and superglue it. I can post a few pics later if you'd like @Naiad

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefjunkieken

reefjunkieken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar when I added my purple tang to my 120g. I had to catch my yellow tang using a fish trap I built then introduced them to each other

OP
OP
reefjunkieken

reefjunkieken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar when I added my purple tang to my 120g. I had to catch my yellow tang using a fish trap I built then introduced them to each other

OP
OP
reefjunkieken

reefjunkieken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Naiad here are some pics of how I made this. Hope it helps....

In this pic you are looking at the cage from the bottom. You can see where I cut the egg crate to fit the suction cup and then I used the same GEL super glue that I use when frigging corals.

Here your looking at the top part. If you are familiar with these powerheads then you know that the lever in the middle is used to make a better suction grip on the glass and this is a slow how you remove the cage from the glass so u need to keep in mind that you would need to access this easily.

Full shot... nothing to explain here really

This is the type of pump that I used. It's an aqueon powerhead. Cheap and wasn't using it so I made better use of it.

Its very easy to remove the base from the pump. Just unscrew the coupler at the base of the pump

Remove these rubber bushings and remove the top plate leaving you with the bottom and suction cup. Then your all set to make the rest.

Originally this was made as a frag rack and then I decided to turn it into a cage. Keep in mind that if u happen to have these parts and are going to make something like this that sides of the cage are slightly longer than the bottom to compensate for the suction cup and the sides reach the glass of the tank or the fish will be able to escape easily. This can also be made with an old mag float scrubber using the same method to cut the egg crate to fit around the mag float. Hope this helps :)

Ps
Don't mind the dirty Ness lol I haven't had a chance to clean everything

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back