29 Gallon Reef Tank

EagleyBlind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially i want to start a beginner reef tank. I went out and bought a 29 gallon tank off of just wanting to start right away and i stop and thought to myself, “I dont know what to get next”. So at the moment i am looking for suggestions for a filter system and anything else i would need. I have a few things i would really like to work around. (sand, preferably live rock, a few fish) But besides those, i dont know where to start or what to do. Any help is appreciated. :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to do some research before asking extremely broad questions :) bulk reef supply (BRS) has great videos and this forum has a lot of great beginner info. But no one is going to instruct you step by step, start digging!! And have fun :)

Welcome to the forum!

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A place i learned from before finding this site was youtube..Here is a small video series that helped me..I just used it as a refrance,and learned a lot..Hope this helps..

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A place i learned from before finding this site was youtube..Here is a small video series that helped me..I just used it as a refrance,and learned a lot..Hope this helps..
That's who I used when I started, worked great.

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning to get started with salt water fish tank..Then watch second one to advance up to Reef tank...

Learning to get started with salt water reef tank..

Last edited:

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome? What type of 29 gal? All in one (AIO) or a standard fish tank like an Aqueon? I have the latter.

Drop into the nano forum, the thread have great info specific to small tanks.

I have the CPR HOB (large) on my tank where I keep my heater, some rubble rock and grow cheato. I have not found a skimmer that fits inside the cpr. The hydor fits, the water level is sufficient for producing skim, but its below the out flow slots so I am not sure if the water is flow is optimal (I am drill a few holes to improve the flow.
The CPR uses a small pump so it doesn't skim the surface like a traditional weir on an overflow to a sump. not does it's design lend it to use filter socks. It's primarily a unit for biological filtration and not mechanical filtration

Nano tanks are perfectly fine with simply using some live rock and water changes.

Do your research on live rock. A nano wont break the budget with cured live rock (covered in coraline algae and other marine life). Arguably, It will help keep nuisance algae from settling in. The more common dry rock takes months/years to develop and mature.

The nano forum can help with lights, likely the biggest expense. I picked up the RapidLED Corona lights here for a bargain and love them on my 29. I have a review thread to which other members have contributed. Bit certainly there are many other options. Before the Coronas, I had them Fluval Marine LED unit. Very good spread, good lite for a nano. They get a bad rap here because they aren't high end lights and not powerful enough for much larger deeper tanks growing all sps. Also you don't have the flexibility to dial individual spectrums like the more expensive units. But it's questionable if a new reefer should be tinkering with spectrum or if they are better off with factory settings. In any case, the fluvals were did a great job of growing corals for me and saved me a lot of start up money until I was ready ti upgrade.

If you decide not to get a CPR HIOB fuge, consider a HOB skimmer. Real estate if a premium in a nano tank to be taken up by a large ugly skimmer.

I saw a member add an AIO unit to his tank. Basically an insert sump complete with an overflow, mechanical filtration, skimmer and small fuge for macro algae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back