29g budget build

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*****Update Time*****
Well, I did a 20g water change to my 90 last night so I took that and another 15g of new salt and finally got her wet. Only had one minor issue. I set the temp on my 100w heater to 79 and left it alone. I went and bought a thermostat for the tank and when I stuck it in it went to 84. Yikes!!!!! No wonder why this tank started to smell bad. I was basically cooking the rock. Turned the heater down and stuck some floss I. The aqua and then after 3 hours stuck some carbon in to clear the water up a lil bit. Some far everything else is good. Got to grab a piece of rock from the 90 to seed this one and start the long wait for the cycle. Now some pictures.
Tomorrow I'll set up the ato and figure out all the wires so they aren't a hazard to the kids.

I guess you found out what many of us have is the aquarium heaters are unreliable, and that whatever you set them at is never the temp the tank will run at. The problem existed 30 years ago and still exists today unfortunately but an external controller that switches it off when a certain temp is reached will help controlling it and keeping it were you want. One would think that in all those years heaters would have become accurate and reliable :-(

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, its been a month since last update. my cycle went smooth and lasted about a month or so. a friend gave me a clown for free cause it was being naughty. i tore down my 90g to upgrade to a 150 cube so everything there had to go. took some coral out and my pair of bl&wh clowns and added it to this one and came out nicely. added a cheap ato some1 local was selling for $10. does a good job but the pump will quit working every couple of day so i've got to shake it a lil. i also added a lawnmower blenny to cut the algae. hes doing a great job and was an awesome addition. here are some pics.
duncan and frogspawn
thanks for looking

Wow nice upgrade indeed ... I am currently into Nanos but used to keep large Reefs, the largest one was 450 gallons !

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks coming along nicely
Thanks zero. I've been slacking a lot on this one cause I just upgrades my 90g to a 150g cube. So needless to say this one as a lil algae breakout. Nothing a couple of nice WC will fix tho.
Yes looking like it does ... happy reefing
Thanks al its coming along nicely. I'm in the works of doing an upgrade to this tank. Some1 local has a 57g oceanic rimless for sale for only $100 that's reef ready so I'm getting that to move everything over to or selling this one to start that.
I REALLY like your rock!!! Really nice!
Thanks cbbram. I bought a bunch of zoas off a guy and his friend had about 80lbs of dry rock for $25 so i jumped on it. Needless to say I picked what I wanted and sold the rest of it for $30. But I really like how oddly shaped it is

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a nice upgrade for sure .. is it going to be a reef or just a FOWLR .. that is a great size for a mixed reef !

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a nice upgrade for sure .. is it going to be a reef or just a FOWLR .. that is a great size for a mixed reef !

thanks. it'll be a mixed reef of course. i dont think i could do a fowlr on such a small tank. fowlr are i think for 200+ size tank so you can get grouper, trigger, and my two favorite red snapper and the sweetlips grunt. but hes also has a 40g breeder for sale which i'm going to try and grab to use as a sump. they were two separate tanks hes putting into a 75g. this will be my next budget build which i'm sure i everything planned except lights.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. it'll be a mixed reef of course. i dont think i could do a fowlr on such a small tank. fowlr are i think for 200+ size tank so you can get grouper, trigger, and my two favorite red snapper and the sweetlips grunt. but hes also has a 40g breeder for sale which i'm going to try and grab to use as a sump. they were two separate tanks hes putting into a 75g. this will be my next budget build which i'm sure i everything planned except lights.
Well that is going to be a nice reef @ 200 gallons ... but on the FOWLR ... Hobbyists used to keep smaller ones as fish only but it is going to be much nicer and enjoyable as a reef for sure. Yes a sump on that tank would be nice ... the larger the better ! Happy reefing and upgrading.

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went ahead and picked up the oceanic 57g yesterday.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360624218.703623.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360624232.819561.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. It cleaned up pretty nice. I just couldn't pass it up seem like a great deal. Came with overflow kit and starboard on the bottom.

Lucky lucky you indeed .. good deals do come around from time to time and you sure got a good one it sounds like. Happy Reef Keeping !

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I tore it all down to gather equipment for the 57g. We are in the process of buying a house so I'm going to wait til we move to start anything with the 57. I already have to move a 150g cube. Thanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back