2ND EcoTech Vectra M1 return pump bites the dust!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my 3rd replacement in a little over a year and a half! COM ON~ Anyone else having problems with there Vectra series on these pumps besides me? The crazy thing about this is I do all my maintenance on of my water pumps every 3 months - 1 part vinegar - 1 part RO water and I am still having problems with these Vectras ONLY. My TUNZE pumps run like the day I BOUGHT THEM. Pretty sure it's time to change pumps. I would go with the Abyss but they start out $1100.00 bucks which are a little steep for me on price. So my next one that's within my budget is the Reef Octopus - VarioS-8 Controllable DC Pump (2700 GPH). What are your thoughts?

TANK INFO: 120 MIXED REEF

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 8.31.50 PM.png

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Mine has been going for a year now no problems. Are you running it internally or externally?

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought for sure it would be external. Do you know what's failing? Nice setup by the way!

Sorry, no advice on the reef octopus pump. I had a RO ac pump on my skimmer than ran trouble free for four years, but no dc.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is messed up b/c the pump propellers turn like the day I bought it. They are complete junk in my opinion especially since i do all my water pump maintenance every 3 months. My TUNZE PUMPS run awesome but my Vectra from Eco-Tech crap.
I mean this will be my 3rd pump in less then 2 years. Also, I only run the pump @ 80% no even full blast.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they replace it do they give you a new power supply? Wonder if it is a voltage thing that is causing the failure. Since other gear is fine, not your supplied voltage but the power supply from Ecotech.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I'm going with either a red dragon or an abyzz. Haven't decided yet.
As much as I'd like to have my return pump on a battery back up, I would rather have a reliable one.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an RMA from Eco-Tech and they had the nerve to ask me to pay the shipping on the pump to them! Are they out of their minds. On the last replacement, they shipped the pump UPS ground from California which 5- 6 business days to me. I requested that this pump needs to be shipped OVERNIGHT NO CHARGE. I will never buy any Ecotech products ever again! i HAD A simple issues a while back with a TUNZE Nano Stream pump and they shipped it UPS RED SAVER which OVERNIGHT. TUNZE & Eco Tech are like comparing apples to oranges with Quality and customer service and THAT'S IS A FACT!!!!!!

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I'm going with either a red dragon or an abyzz. Haven't decided yet.
As much as I'd like to have my return pump on a battery back up, I would rather have a reliable one.

@hatfielj go with the abyzz , you will not be sorry i promise.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a various 6 and it is silent. No noise whatsoever. And the function is very well thought out I think. 15 or 60 minutes feed mode, setting memory after losing power, slowly ramps up after power restored. Very happy about mine.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an RMA from Eco-Tech and they had the nerve to ask me to pay the shipping on the pump to them! Are they out of their minds. On the last replacement, they shipped the pump UPS ground from California which 5- 6 business days to me. I requested that this pump needs to be shipped OVERNIGHT NO CHARGE. I will never buy any Ecotech products ever again! i HAD A simple issues a while back with a TUNZE Nano Stream pump and they shipped it UPS RED SAVER which OVERNIGHT. TUNZE & Eco Tech are like comparing apples to oranges with Quality and customer service and THAT'S IS A FACT!!!!!!

That sucks. I would be ticked too if I were you.

It's truly disappointing to hear you had to go through this after getting charged so much for a product. Something I don't understand is why a company that big would do something like this. It's not like they couldn't afford a free over night shipping.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up with that fitting you have on the inlet?

I have two different sizes of Varios (2 and 6) and I'm happy with them - but I've had them less than a year, so can't speak to longevity yet.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you're having troubles. Have you been in contact with Ecotech?

My L1 has been running for over a year, no problem.
I've cleaned it once.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not paying for shipping because the pump is outside of warranty. If it was still under warranty I am sure they would.

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my M1. The controller just died and they had problems diagnosing the issue over the phone. So instead of just sending a new pump I had to go back and forth with them while they sent me individual components to replace. At one point my work order was lost or forgotten and I had to call to get a response. Finallly after a month of this my LFS owner called and spoke with someone and was able to get them to send me a complete replacement. The replacement has been up and running for about 10 months now and no problems.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet its your power supply. I went through 2 in a short span of time. It always worries me because mine gets extremely hot. First time it happened I went round and round. It was getting power but anytime you turned it up past 50% it would error and sto[p working. I thought it was their controller so I sent it back and got a new one. That worked fine for a few days then same thing happened. Just for giggles I went down to my LFS and bought a new power supply out of a M1 box went home plugged it in and it worked fine for a while. I sent the broken one back and they sent me a replacement. Then the second one went out about 6 months later but fortunately I had a replacement. Its been working fine ever since. The one ecotech sent me seems bigger and doesn't get as hot so I wonder if they switched.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having. It seems a lot of people that I heard love the pump. I run a jebao return pump and wouldn't switch for the world haha.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back