2x AI prime or AI hydra 26?

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i currently have a 46 gallon bowfront with an oceanrevive t247 and I am currently trying to decide on what light I should upgrade it to. I've had the light for about 1.5 years (bought it used, was 2 years old when I bought it) and it was growing the corals at a really fast rate but then everything just slowed down. I checked my parameters and all of them were great so i think the lights are starting to go bad so i decided to upgrade it (plus i wanted to get something high end anyway haha).

what I am concerned about right now is what to use: Either 2 AI primes or a single Hydra 26s? I heard AI primes doesn't have a big coverage but I think 2 should be fine for the tank. Or I could try the Hydras and it will give a little bit of shadow but at the same time it is still strong.

On a side note, I am also upgrading my tank in the summer to a 56 gallon and the dimensions are 36"x20" x20" (custom tank). With my future plans in mind, is it better to go with 2 primes for now and then get one or two more when the time comes? Or is it better to get one Hydra and then get another one in the summer?

Note: I am mostly looking to keep a mixed reef tank which is mostly stocked with LPS and a couple of softies and SPS. As for SPS, I am not too sure if I will be keeping Acros. I know that I want to keep the other SPS like stylopora and seriatopora. This is also what I am currently keeping right now.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 2 AI Prime HD, will definitely get enough coverage for both tanks. I’m using 2 on my Red Sea 350, and it covers all of my tank. Goodluck!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 lights you could have your softies under less intense light, lps/sps under more intense light. Also you could position them for better spread/ less shadowing as opposed to one centrally located light.
So, considering your summer upgrade plans, what do you want in the long run? 2 pucks, 3 pucks or dare I say....4 pucks? Have you considered a LED/T5 hybrid?

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 2 AI Prime HD, will definitely get enough coverage for both tanks. I’m using 2 on my Red Sea 350, and it covers all of my tank. Goodluck!
How high are the prime’s from the water surface? Im considering hydra but also depating on which

OP
OP
M

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to have a total of three pucks in the future not so sure about 4. I wanna stay away from T5s because I don't wanna buy a new bulb every year

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 4 will be enough for a 200" tank, the AI HD Prime have a coverage of 24" x 24". 200" / 24" = 8.333, so 8 is probably what you need.
I m sorry i didn t explain properly i was refering cm’s

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the Hydra 26, and add another later. You can always turn the intensity down....but cant ever turn one higher than MAX. Two should be fine for a 36" as I ran two 26hd for 2+ years on a 92 corner tank (quarter circle). At the widest point in the front of the tank its about 45" wide and from the back corner to front edge is 36". I never ran into an issue with shading. The lights were 14" above water level. Have a look at aquaillumination.com under the light science tab and you can compare lights side by side. The max par on the Prime HD shows 93 versus 130 on the 26HD on a shallow frag type tank I may would go with the Primes ultimately for placement, however a 20" deep tank Id definitely go with the 26HD.

Back